Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th gen suspension parts measure almost identical

4th gen suspension parts measure almost identical

Alright I took a good look at a 90 LX and this is what I concur
    Please note I have not physically swappped the parts yet, this is based on eyeing it out and measuring the lengths and distance to mounting holes

The lower front arm is the same. The steering knuckle and strut is the same. Therefore.... a bigbrake kit with poly bushings and coilovers for a 4th geb should be bolton. The difference is in the upper arm and radius rods... the 3gee has it offset behind the spring, the 4 gee has it over the middle of the spring but the upper balljiont mounting point measured the same. The radius rods are bent funny to clear the bigger engine and trans (trans mostly; I think Honda just took a 3gee and stretched it as part of the development)

The rear suspension is got a different length to the arms upper and lower... it looks like the upper arm is curved and goes out further. The lower arms mount to a different center than the accord, however it also has 2 (just like the 3gee) and they are spaced the same from eachother, the trailing arms are the same length and the drum is an inch bigger so maybe you can mount the 4gee arm to the 3gee links and have a big rear brake kit also.

oh and 90 Prelude, it is kind of the same deal with the front suspension, the lower arms are the same. The rear is way different.

Anyone have any input on this??
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    What about struts/shocks and stuff... it would be nice to use the 90-97 coilovers with the correct pertch.
    - llia

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1990 Honda Accord Ex 5spd.
    i scoped out a 3g lude one time to get disc brakes. I found out that if you were to switch the lower arm and the upper arm that it should work. I didn't get an exact measurement for everything, but i dont think it would be that bad.
    "If you were paying attention DANIEL you'd know the Nintendo's pass threw everything!"
    - Col Jack O'Neal - Stargate sg-1.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    the only problem i see with what you are saying is this, the rotors for the 90+ accord have a 114x4 bolt pattern, our accords are 4x100. Maybe if you have the rotors re drilled to fit, this could be viable
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

LX User
    Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i/'85 Toyota Supra
    I think he's saying to swap the whole knuckle, then use the 90 accord big brake kit. But then you have two different bolt patterns, one up front, another out back.
    '87 accord lx-I sedan: Koni adj, struts, Progress sport springs, ST sway bars, spec. prod. camber kits, dc strut bar, msd blaster 2 coil, ngk plugs and Ractive 9mm wires. Erebuni bodykit and Wings West trunk spoiler.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Thats interesting, it wouldn't bother me cause i think my rims have two different 4x*** bolt patterns.
    - llia

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    it would be cool if this worked because then we could use the 5th gen brake parts and you can do all kinds of cool brake swaps with those. The 2.2CL brakes are a bolt on to the 5th gen hubs and they're bigger. Plus you can use the NSX dual piston calipers on those brake setups.

Im pretty sure there are gonna be problems with this though but good luck if you decide to try it.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i
    thad be awesome if this is possible.
    my car is stock it just likes sittn lower to the ground than most cars:
    Lowes 3" CAI W/filter, hackd off mufflar, MSD Blaster 2 coil and bosch Platinum spark plugs&wires...she roars all the way to 6K

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Brakes are not that big deal, just get the civic stuff. What we really need is better shocks/springs.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box
    yeah, having near unlimited struts available to us is what i'd be looking for

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin86
    Brakes are not that big deal, just get the civic stuff. What we really need is better shocks/springs.
    it sure would be nice if we could do a brake upgrade without having to shell out $1k+ for AEM big brakes.

I was also thinking, if we could use 4th/5th gen parts we could do a 5 lug conversion from the prelude. now THAT would be teh sickness.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

LX User
    Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i/'85 Toyota Supra
    which civic stuff work?
    '87 accord lx-I sedan: Koni adj, struts, Progress sport springs, ST sway bars, spec. prod. camber kits, dc strut bar, msd blaster 2 coil, ngk plugs and Ractive 9mm wires. Erebuni bodykit and Wings West trunk spoiler.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord SEi
    Quote Originally Posted by POS carb
    The rear suspension is got a different length to the arms upper and lower... it looks like the upper arm is curved and goes out further. The lower arms mount to a different center than the accord, however it also has 2 (just like the 3gee) and they are spaced the same from eachother, the trailing arms are the same length and the drum is an inch bigger so maybe you can mount the 4gee arm to the 3gee links and have a big rear brake kit also.
    So if we were to use the rear arms from a 4g on our 3g then it would have a wider track?

Vehicle
    ???
    this should be very interesting for peeps wanting AIR RIDE! i know..right now... where an air ride kit is for a 4th gen for 600 bucks!
    I havent forgotten my roots

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    FYI, the NSX calipers will work on our brakes too.

Like it's been said, we mostly need better struts

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by dillirk
    So if we were to use the rear arms from a 4g on our 3g then it would have a wider track?
    A wider track isn't really any better for us, it will just push the tires out farther, so keeping our arms is best but if the 4g hub will allow for more tire then I'm all for it.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 prelude si A20a3
    www.leda.com they will make anything you want as far as suspension.
    87 prelude si
    87 non-turbo supra

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89
    A guy from Denmark that I now through a honda forum, has Leda shocks for his turbo 3g Accord. But he didnt get them new, so I dont know if they still would be available.

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Okay lemme put new life into this thread again since it proves to be interesting

SO the things that are same between the 3g and the 4g are

1) front knuckles
    2) Shox (what u mean struts???) ?
    3) springs
    4) Lower control arm

here are the part numbers

4) 51355-SE0-010 (r) 51365-SE0-010 (L) for the 89 lxi
    51355-SM4-040 (r) 51365-SM4-040 (L) for 90 lx

2) 51605-SE0-935 (r) 51606-SE0-305 (L) for the 89 lxi
    51605-SM1-A12 (r) 51606-SM1-A12 (L) for the 90 lx

3) 51401-SE0-632 , 51401-SE0-642 for 89 lxi
    51401-SM1-A11 for 90 lxi

1) cant find numbers.

So from what you guys are saying, despite the part number difference, it should be able to line up and act as a "bolt on" ?

I will have to look into this. If they can be adapted, then i would most likely would wanna do the front knuckle along with the Damper fork and the rear, i would like to swap it out completely and get an adjustable top a-arm for the rear to see if i get the camber corrected.

I dont want this thread to die since it could give us a lot of advantage in using springs and shox setups.

PS: When i got the koni struts for my 4g, i noticed that they were longer than my 3g ones.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box
    well, i believe ground control will shorten koni dampers, so longer isn't really a problem if you have the money

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky
    well, i believe ground control will shorten koni dampers, so longer isn't really a problem if you have the money
    well the thing is, i wanna know if the 4g suspension as a whole, with its shox and coils would fit in our 3g with the 4g dampening fork. Cause if that would work, then i got some suspension setup in mind that would make me piss happy............ i meant to say it would make me happy.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    ehh if all those front end parts are the same as the 4th gen ones, why dont we just bolt up 4th gen suspension into a 3g? that would solve our lack-of-suspension part problem.
    Last edited by NXRacer; 01-28-2005 at 09:15 PM.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box
    yeah, it's not the best thing to have to have something as spendy as koni dampers modified for your car...

and i think i know what you're on to... tien full body coilovers?

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky
    yeah, it's not the best thing to have to have something as spendy as koni dampers modified for your car...

and i think i know what you're on to... tien full body coilovers?
    damn u Derick!!!!!!! Do you read minds????? lol, yeah its what i had in mind. So they wont work?

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box
    haven't really looked into it... i've always wanted them, though