Thread: Primary Venturi Loose

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX

Primary Venturi Loose

Just last night I found out what was wrong with my car. My car has been stuttering and dying this whole past week. I replaced my fuel filters, spark plugs gapped to .045, fuel pump, pvc valve, air filter, o2 sensor, checked all vacuum lines, new cap and rotor, and my coil and wires are brand new because I have crane wires and an accel coil. I found the thread on the venturis being loose and it could cause what was happening to my car. I was wondering if anyone had a step by step procedure for removing all that needs to be removed and how to put it back together. I know about drilling out rivets and removing the fast-idle and choke but how do i remove it without breaking anything and how do I put it back together when the rivets have been drilled out. Thanks for any info...

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Hmm, actually my method does envolve breaking something... it's harmless really

What you are doing is snapping off the casting of the carb that holds the final screw that secures the choke body to the carb... this means no drilling out rivets.

Remove the air cleaner
    Disconnect the choke rod that moves the choke plate... held by a small cotter pin
    Remove the top hat if you want to, you'll have to remove the cotter pin from tha accel pump arm.
    Remove 2 of the 3 botls holding the choke body...
    I think you may need to remove the choke puller as welll, that has 3 bolts that are in odd places.
    Anyways back to the choke housing... Look for where the final bolt connects to the carb body casue this is the area that needs to snap... get a big flat head screw driver... and wedge it soemwhere in the carb, and put pressure on the beefiest/strongest part of the choke housing... go slowly... eventually it will snap, usually taking part of the carb casting.

It's not a problem since the choke fits back together like a glove when you install the other 2 screws again.

What I don't know... is how much the vacuum lines will get in your way... I have fixed a few loose booster venturies on cars with and with out the vacuum lines... and I never had to remove the carb.
    Last edited by A20A1; 08-30-2004 at 01:34 PM.
    - llia

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    i have an idea: JB Weld! it would work and it would be cheap and easy.
    www.stein-photo.com
    born to XLR8

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX
    Thanks for the info...My car is running great now that I got that fixed...it took awhile cuz i didn't want to mess anything up...but thanks again...

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX
    I did the same thing that A20A1 does. Even if you do take the choke apart, I doubt you'll be able to unscrew that screw in there. I couldn't.
    A20A1 is my hero. <3

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    so what did you do to fix it?
    www.stein-photo.com
    born to XLR8

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX
    I still don't have a choke, but just follow what he said.
    "
    It's not a problem since the choke fits back together like a glove when you install the other 2 screws again.
    "
    That's what I'm planning when winter comes. I haven't gotten around to it yet, though.
    A20A1 is my hero. <3

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX
    When I took the choke apart, because I decided to do it finally, the screw inside came out fine with some PB Breaker. I put the choke back together with some self-tapping screws where the rivets where. But Thanks again A20A1 for all the information. It only took about 45 mins. to take everything apart and put it back together. Not to many vacuum lines got in the way either so that was pretty nice...but it was pretty easy to follow the directions and get everything running again.