Thread: 87 head on a 88 block?

Vehicle
    89 honda accord LX

87 head on a 88 block?

does everything work? i have an 89 accord and i put in an 88 engine and i was going to get a 87 head, will the 87 head work with the 88 block? i know the bodies are alittle different, i didnt know if the engine were. thanks

zach

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    engines were the same. it will bolt up with no problem.
    i have 86 block with 88 head right now and it works just fine.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    '95 Supra, '08 CBR 600RR, '89 LX-i Coupe (R.I.P.), '88 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.), '87 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.)
    what are the trims of the engine/head? LX for both? if i remember right the DX/LX trims all had the same engine throughout the years. the LX-i had the same engine(different from DX/LX) and got a different intake manifold for 88-89. i don't know for fact though, so somebody that knows for sure...
    Greg

1989 LX-i 2dr 5spd (R.I.P.)

2008 CBR 600RR -- 1995 Toyota Supra NA -- 2013 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x

Vehicle
    89 honda accord LX
    how about off an 85 lude? i think they a20a1's?

zach

Vehicle
    it doesn't matter what intake or exhaust manifold they had, the head itself is the same. everything will bolt up with no problem.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    89 honda accord LX
    how about off an 85 lude? i think they a20a1's?

zach

Vehicle
    the only head that will bolt up from lude is from 86-87 year.
    if you going to use a head from carbed lude, you will have to use lude carbs too since the intake manifold had diff. bolt pattern. using carbed lude head on A20 block will increase the compression and you will have a chance to run dual keihin carbs. that can be raplaced with bigger motorcycle ones later on.

if you use EFI lude head, it is exactly the same as 86-89 accord head since the motor was A20.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    '95 Supra, '08 CBR 600RR, '89 LX-i Coupe (R.I.P.), '88 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.), '87 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.)
    i thought the head was slightly different between carbed and FI models? hence the a1 and a3... i mean, as far as bolting up theyre the same, but the head it self was different...
    Greg

1989 LX-i 2dr 5spd (R.I.P.)

2008 CBR 600RR -- 1995 Toyota Supra NA -- 2013 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x

Vehicle
    89 honda accord LX
    but an 85 carb head had different intake? do they have the same exhaust ports and everything else? iam making a manifold for my dcoe's but iam using my 89 accord intake flange. iam not sure if the one i might be getting is off an efi or a carbed 85 lude.

zach

Vehicle
    89 honda accord LX
    anyone??

zach

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by maka_RTH
    i thought the head was slightly different between carbed and FI models? hence the a1 and a3... i mean, as far as bolting up theyre the same, but the head it self was different...
    yes, but they were different only in the way that they had different cam shafts and different exhaust valves. The carb uses a longer exhaust valve and this is why using a efi camshaft on the carb head, makes ur car pull a lot harder.

Zach, if the motor is a A18, then i guess it will bolt up, but do know that the bores are different and ur looking for a bit more precise work that would cost ur more time and money than just swapping a A20 head onto ur block.

SEi User

Re: 87 head on a 88 block?

Don't use a Prelude head, the ports are offset to the centre of the two inlet valves, good for torque but kills airflow and bhp max power from A18 is 180bhp, anymore and you need ET1 engine or A20 engine, best one to use would be a A20A3/4 has higher CR ratio, a B18 inlet manifold can be made to fit but if your DIYing a inlet manifold make sure thatyou get really long runners welded on and don't use tubing thats larger than the bore size of the carbs, so if you have DCOE 40's use 40mm or if you have DCOE 45's use 45mm bore the tricky part is getting 40-45mm bore tube to then fit enugly onto the A20 head ports which are oval and 55mm wide and 30mm high, also need to make sure you have nice long bell mouth trumpets on the carbs as well. The Exhaust valves are the same on all Honda heads from 2G accord/Lude and 3G accord it's only the camshafts that all differ slightly and the head and blocks pre 86 blocks and heads have a different oil feed to the head as well as different head port shapes, everything from 86 onwards used the same block wether it's from A18 Lude to a A20A1/A3/A4 lude/Accord the A18 head has different ports to A20 but can be bolted on and their are weber inlet manifolds floating around for A18 secondhand although quite rare these days maybe Autoquip in NewZealand may still have a couple left they were the last manufacturer that still made them for the Ludes. The Best head/Block combination though is ET1 from Europe or Japan this has the best Head design and the Block can be re-bored to the same spec as A20 also the easiest to make Weber inlet manifold for as it has nice large round inlet ports that have a 90mm bore spacing so are nice and central, also good for Bike cards too.