Thread: DIY oil catch 'can'

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch

Post DIY oil catch 'can'

This has been going around a lot, but it hasnt been posted up here so i thought i'd share. One of the guys over at AccordTuner did a VERY good write up on how to do it.

http://board.accordtuner.com/showthread.php?p=161663

enjoy
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i *** 2002 Mustang GT
    hey, why didnt i think of that??? nice mod! no more pcv valve worries.
    "Seriously, I have a half o' pack of Rolaids in my dipper" -Stewie (Family Guy)

Car Pics
    vBGarage

Vehicle
    1986 Prelude 2.0si turbo - 1990 Integra moutain carver - 1993 Nissan 300ZXTT w/ more power than god
    I did that a few months ago. I was less that impressed. If you got that much blow-by on a stock engine to warrant a catch can, you got some serious problems.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    '85 lude
    considering our old motors have one stock this isnt useful unless you are at the extreme end of the performance.

Vehicle
    18 yr old Prelude, the one with the pop up headlamps. B20 (prototype for the 3g Prelude) ...but in the lighter car, with big brakes
    Well i disconected mine on all the cars i've had. my dad always said it helps to keep the head cleaner?! But, problem being until i do this mod is when i'm sat in traffic the sickly smell comes thru the heater and makes the car stink. so i'm up for this!! ...nice one!
    Wont be as fancy as that tho! just a simple in line air filter and plugging it back onto the intake.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by 86LXItooFAST4me
    hey, why didnt i think of that??? nice mod! no more pcv valve worries.
    huh? u need a pcv valve no matter what. Unless ur one of those ppl who just find a way to vent it in the air.

i have seen summit racing oil catch cans for much decent price of 30 bux including all hard ware.

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    you really don't need one unless you plan on doing a lot of high reving, that really the only time enough pressure builds to send oil up the PVC.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    just like justin said, higher oil pressure requires this set up and agian, to get that made, i would rather get the kit from summit.

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer
    Ok, I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if I should get one. I plan on running a 75shot of Nitrous and I rev high daily, not past redline though.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by HostileJava
    Ok, I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if I should get one. I plan on running a 75shot of Nitrous and I rev high daily, not past redline though.
    if u badly want jimmy. But under our standard redline, we dont get any liquid blowby thru the valve cover. i have seen turbo motors just spit out oil when they are revved high. Why dont u finish everything up, drive the car and see if u do see oil dripping from the valve cover. To see this connect a clear plastic hose from the valve cover (1/2" ID) to the intake and see if u can find oil traces.

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by smufguy
    if u badly want jimmy. But under our standard redline, we dont get any liquid blowby thru the valve cover. i have seen turbo motors just spit out oil when they are revved high. Why dont u finish everything up, drive the car and see if u do see oil dripping from the valve cover. To see this connect a clear plastic hose from the valve cover (1/2" ID) to the intake and see if u can find oil traces.
    I was just wondering about it really, I don't want anymore in the engine bay I don't need. I saw it on ebay and talked to alex about it. Sounds like somthing I can pass up for now.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by HostileJava
    I was just wondering about it really, I don't want anymore in the engine bay I don't need. I saw it on ebay and talked to alex about it. Sounds like somthing I can pass up for now.
    once u get ur turbo, u can join the elite oil catch can club

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe
    i'd do it to prepare for turbo, if i had the funds or the know-how, but it would be nice to know how everything is gonna fit in there before you spend the $$$ on the turbo, imo

i'd rather be fully prepared for what im getting into, instead of leaking oil down the street.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250
    I dont think its that nessesary. I got the moroso one setup on the turbo b20a but i dont think you'd need it unless your boosted.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    it might be a good idea for those that have massive amounts of miles on the engine and is blowing oil anyway
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    I don't need it yet then, I"ll wait till the turbo setup goes on, I was using vitrually no oil before the car was garaged last year.

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by NXRacer
    it might be a good idea for those that have massive amounts of miles on the engine and is blowing oil anyway
    yea for sure, I tied to get some of that tonight, but she wouldn't put out.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    Well ,that can would catch the oil vapours and condense them. It's not much but I guess it looks good under the hood. Since my car spends quite some time in the high revs now, I'll try it and see how much oil it catches.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX(x3)87LX(x1)86LXi(x1)

My 87 Is An Oil Blower...

well, it finally happened..my 87 is blowing so much oil now it soaks the air filter double quick...I guess it needs rings..I guess I'll be finally swinging that junkyard motor in there, how about this catch can bit?, like to squeeze a couple of more months out of it(inspection isn't due till spetember, too cold now to do an engine, or much of anything else), #2 and 3 only show 100 psi against 175 for 1 and 4, head gasket?, engine does have close to 300k

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    normal is 171psi and deviation is a 28psi give or take. Ur 1 and 4 are almost perfect for its age. and the middle two are worse since min is about 148psi. So a lot of blowby is fortunately coming from there.

for you peter, this could work. BUt are u soaking it from the breather (top of the valve cover) or the pcv system?. Either way, a sealed catch can is the only way if ur pcv system is causing this to prevent vaccuum leak and hence surge. But if its the breather, then a regular ventilated catchcan is enough. This will most likely help u burn less oil and probably dump the residue in the catch can, back into the oil, or just add the same amount of it in fresh oil, back to the motor.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    if you have oil coming out from the top of the valve cover, your PCV valve is cloged up.
    take it out and clean it or replace it. it is that simple.
    Alex.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX(x3)87LX(x1)86LXi(x1)

Angry

the amount of blowby is pretty exterme, with teh engine compression being so low, the engine's got limited hours left. I suspec thte ring lands fractured on one of the pistons, at two random times, the engine poured out the james bond smoke screen, freaking my wife out ( and no doubt the folks behind here), then it stopped!.

Might take a hail mary on some snake oil I used to solve a weird smoking issue on my 88 ( you might recall, the valve seal affair) but I'm prettry resigned to having to pull the engine. give me exucse to drag the 86 out of the garage and get her going, looks like I'm going to part out my other 88LX, the one mistake I've ever made, buying one from an out of state dealer on ebay, had a bad tranny, didn't notice till it was too late) has some nice salvage, but not $1500 worth! ( interior parts a plenty)

in a couple of months I should be down to just two or maybe three running accords, my van and my wife's coupe de something caddy ( yes, she's not having to drive an accord any more....:-()0

in the meantime 11 feet of heater hose vents the valve cover breather out of the back of the car, where that stink belongs., doesn't seem to be very noticeable, even at idle.

well seee how long it is before the pistons bust up, once it's march, I can tag the 86, can't have an insepection due during the coldest month of the year

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 accord Lxi

Re: DIY oil catch 'can'

thinking about it myself.
    not for performance but out of necessity and convenience.
    have a vacuum leak so strong that it'll pull my 89 lxi/sei in 5th up to nearly 50mph.

changed the sandwich plate thingy, left lower intake on and still sucking air.
    onl thing i can think of is the 30 yr old pcv hoses finally gave up.