Thread: Need help with my Lude wheels

Vehicle
    18 yr old Prelude, the one with the pop up headlamps. B20 (prototype for the 3g Prelude) ...but in the lighter car, with big brakes

Need help with my Lude wheels

I'm running 195/55/15's with the rear arches flolded back.

Seems they're running a really wide track with a hell of a inbuilt spacer, havent a clue what the offset is as its not stamped anywhere.

Handling is awesome, the cars lowered 60mm and she's got loads of neg, camber on the front. ....but not on the back? thought it was better on the back?

I am wondering tho, could i get any wider on the back if maybe i reduced the 55 to say 40? secondly, why do sports cars run much wider tyres on the back? and which is better a wider track with 195's or 215+'s on stock like rims that they could fit?

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    Quote Originally Posted by Civvy
    she's got loads of neg, camber on the front. ....but not on the back? thought it was better on the back?
    The amount of camber that works best varies depending on the car's handling balance, tires, suspension, and a lot more. The one of reasons why most cars have less camber in the front is to improve braking.

I am wondering tho, could i get any wider on the back if maybe i reduced the 55 to say 40? secondly, why do sports cars run much wider tyres on the back? and which is better a wider track with 195's or 215+'s on stock like rims that they could fit?
    The 195s with the spacers should be about the same as the 225s as far as cornering goes. Either way the outer part of the tires are at the same width (probably limited by your fenders). The extra width of the wider tire would be on the inside where it would contribute more to acceleration and braking. This would be at the expense of unsprung and rotating wieght, which is very important to keep at a minimum.

Most sports cars that run staggered tires use the larger rears for several reasons. The wider tires will not wear as fast and will run cooler when driven hard. They also can be used to correct the handling balance and reduce oversteer. Nearly all of these cars are powerful, rear drive and frequently have the majority of the weight on the rear wheels.

Larger rears does not make sense for a car with front wheel drive with more the the weight in the front. Increasing your track should improve your handling somewhat since you'll have slightly less weight transfer. Unfortunately you'll also be increasing the loads on your wheel bearings and altering your steering geometry.
    Mike

Vehicle
    18 yr old Prelude, the one with the pop up headlamps. B20 (prototype for the 3g Prelude) ...but in the lighter car, with big brakes
    Cheers mike thats very good info there! Some of what i've asked there I've been wondering about for years!! so basiaclly i've got about the best setup as it is? One last question. I had a 90 civic and i can vaigly remember it had something like 60's on the front and 65's on the back? any idea's why?

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    Cheers mike thats very good info there! Some of what i've asked there I've been wondering about for years!! so basiaclly i've got about the best setup as it is? One last question. I had a 90 civic and i can vaigly remember it had something like 60's on the front and 65's on the back? any idea's why?
    From what you've said it sounds like your setup is fine as-is.

Are you certain that those were the stock size tires? Some people will buy two of whatever is on sale whether or not they're really the right size--and then sell you the car. With the exception of the S2000 and NSX every Honda I can think of comes with the same size tires front and rear.
    Last edited by AZmike; 09-17-2004 at 10:21 AM.
    Mike

Vehicle
    I got the rims from my dad last month! (Aftermarket rims)they were on his 3g Lude. I was just wondering if i could fit wider tyres on. But, uve answered my question!

Stock size for my Lude is 195/60/14's all round.