Thread: carb rebuild kit question

carb rebuild kit question

I'm going to rebuild the carb this weekend. I bought just the gasket kit, it was a lot cheaper.
    I've figured out where all the o-rings go, except for one. The smallest o-ring which is also very thin, I don't know where it goes. Can anyone help?

I'm going to try and take lots of pics as I do the rebuild, so hopefully I'll make a web page detailing all the little parts and the process to help anyone else.

--Peter

Vehicle
    87 LX
    I think the smallest o rings are for the accelerator pump passage.
    Did you check out the howto yet?
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=5350
    ------------------

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Yeah it's probably for the accel pump

If not it could be to the choke puller
    - llia

Yeah, there are two identical rings for the accel pump.
    But then there is one even smaller and thinner than those.

In this picture, where the o-rings are in the bottom left, it's the one that's the bottom row, in the middle.
    http://87accord.com/image/carbkit2.gif

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX
    I don't have the diagram in front of me, but from my experience re-building carbs. I think it is the fuel\air mixture o-ring, about 2mm-4mm across. Count the number of turns you make before re-moving.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    hmm well if it's not to the accel pump or to the choke puller then maybe then I guess it is the A/F screw... from the pic it seems the right size too.
    - llia

So I''ve been taking apart the old carb to figure out how everything goes together. That way when I take apart the working carb from my car, there won't be any surprises.

And I had a feeling it might be for the A/F mixture screw, but when I removed the screw from the old carb, there was no o-ring on the screw. Which side of the spring does the o-ring go on?
    And I don't really know if I want to risk messing wroung with the A/F mixture screw. Maybe I'll just skip that one.

Thanks guys.

--Peter

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    I know there isn't one in there from stock but I think after a rebuild most people end up with leaks from the screw so they added it in... probably at the mention from a few mechanics back in the day.

I would put it on the before or after the threads on the needle... Try it after first... near the slot for the screw driver... hopefully the o-ring isn't too small for that part of the needle and doesn't end up not sealing anything. Don't put it where the spring rests or the spring will tear the o-ring up.

Try the before the threads if after isn't working.
    Last edited by A20A1; 09-19-2004 at 03:25 PM.
    - llia

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX
    Quote Originally Posted by acranox
    So I''ve been taking apart the old carb to figure out how everything goes together. That way when I take apart the working carb from my car, there won't be any surprises.

And I had a feeling it might be for the A/F mixture screw, but when I removed the screw from the old carb, there was no o-ring on the screw. Which side of the spring does the o-ring go on?
    And I don't really know if I want to risk messing wroung with the A/F mixture screw. Maybe I'll just skip that one.

Thanks guys.

--Peter
    The fuel mixture screw assembly is as follows. Spring slides over the needle then the washer, last the o-ring. You probably didn't see an o-ring when you took apart that other carb you have because the o-ring usually stays stuck inside. You have to pick it out with a needle or something as small. If you re-build the carb., it is best to replace that o-ring. Make sure you count the number of turns before removing the screw so as to be close as to stock specs.
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 09-21-2004 at 10:34 PM.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    I never had an o-ring or washer on either of my carbs, I'm picking away at the wall on the inside but nothing is moving... so if something was in there it's gone now.

They way you say it, do you mean the o-ring goes into the hole first... then folowed by the washer.
    - llia

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX
    Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    I never had an o-ring or washer on either of my carbs, I'm picking away at the wall on the inside but nothing is moving... so if something was in there it's gone now.

They way you say it, do you mean the o-ring goes into the hole first... then folowed by the washer.
    You are talking about the A/F mixture screw right? If there was neither one of them, then someone didn't put them back when re-building it. I had a few carbs with missing o-rings and etc., The o-ring goes on top of the washer that is on top of the spring. Hope that helps both you out. I've re-built lots of these carbs.
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 09-22-2004 at 08:30 AM.

Oh, hey, I found it in the old carb. There's a washer, then then the o-ring. You have to jam a little scredriver in there or something to free them up.
    Well, I did the rebuild, but I didn't replace that o-ring. If I remove the carb again maybe I'll replace the o-ring then.
    The o-ring goes in the hole first, then the washer. When I looked in the hole the first time, since all I saw was the metal washer, I thought it was jut part of the casting.