Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: QUAD Motorcycle Carbs

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX

Re: my accord has quad carbs

right now i'm still working on getting a base tune on it. Hopefully this week but i have finals to work around. So sometime this summer probably when i have a job again and can afford dyno time. I know you are all waiting to see it. Again thanks for all the comments. And i do plan on making a support bracket... But right now thats not the focus i wanna have a totally drivable car again first.
    Zeph Uusitalo
    Proof That Bike Carbs Work On An A20!
    Dyno'd the accord. It made 104HP 117TQ.... And blew smoke everywhere. I guess the 210K motor really is done

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX

just a quick update on a break from workin on the car. It now starts everytime, and has a decent power band. Oh how i love being able to tune my own carbs.
    Zeph Uusitalo
    Dyno'd the accord. It made 104HP 117TQ.... And blew smoke everywhere. I guess the 210K motor really is done

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

have you taken it for a good drive yet?

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX

not really just been cruising it around the neightbor hood but soon i'll go for a drive that actually checks out the power
    Zeph Uusitalo

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

cool would u be able to get vids?

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX

i'll get some vids soon it still needs some work but it is running great.
    Zeph Uusitalo

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1

ha ha sweet! I can't wait to see this in person.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by Zufer
    i'll get some vids soon it still needs some work but it is running great.
    I want to hear it running out, that would have to be a wicked (endearing term) sound, probably like sounds like three cars running.

Vehicle
    1989 LXI Coupe Kswap, 1989 LXI Bswap

have you noticed a difference in the driving yet?
    Style Quality Uniqueness And Design
    S.Q.U.A.D. Engineering
    www.squadengineering.com

http://www.facebook.com/squadengineering

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd79
    i have to agree with Eric, you should consider support under those carbs. You can't just rely on welds. vibration and stress will crack them for sure.
    what did you do with the factory supports? just cut an aluminum bar to fit all the way across your manifold,drill and tap it to accept the factory support bars,and weld it to your manifold at four points. it already fits to the block. thats what I'm going to do with my SU manifold. make it nice and sturdy like factory and you'll never have to worry about it again. what angle did you machine your tubes off to? I measured from the original carb mounting plate to the angle where it goes to the head with a machinists protractor,got 15 degrees,in other words I have to clamp the original piece of manifold in the mill,tilt the head 15 degrees and mill it off,then the carbs will sit level on the engine.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX

mine don't have any angle on them so they are a straight shot to the head. I figured with a motorcycle carburetor that is designed to deal with wheelstands and the forces on a bike that the angle wasn't outside the range of normal operation.

I just got back from a mountain pass drive and so far i've decided i still need more fuel but the mid range feels great... the low and the top are spotty so just need some more tuning... But it does sound pretty sweet
    Zeph Uusitalo

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

mine don't have any angle on them so they are a straight shot to the head. I figured with a motorcycle carburetor that is designed to deal with wheelstands and the forces on a bike that the angle wasn't outside the range of normal operation.

I just got back from a mountain pass drive and so far i've decided i still need more fuel but the mid range feels great... the low and the top are spotty so just need some more tuning... But it does sound pretty sweet
    Awesome, I dont know if you thought of it but you should consider an exhaust temp guage to keep up with the tune. If you havent already. When your trying to get the best of both worlds (in many aspects) it helps to have another fail safe monitor for peace of mind. Even then with four carbs you cant monitor each cylinder for lean condition from the "cockpit" without some extravigante' intrumentatio'neon

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX

i was able to get a wideband today and get a much better tune on it. My instincts were correct, it was running a bit lean. Now the power is nice and even and acceleration is smooth. Rjudgey might still be correct in saying i need a slightly bigger carb maybe a 38mm. But its kinda hard to tell. So far i've done a 3rd gear pull and it was seam better than the weber i had on there. The only spot that the tune isn't good is from idle til the cam starts kickin in... so about 3500. It runs a bit lean through this section. I believe that this can be cure with adjustment of the needle jet... But i don't really know what to do with it. If anyone has some insight that would be good.
    Zeph Uusitalo

Vehicle

what I was talking about with the angle,is that when th car is sitting level,the carbs should also be level,this is to set your tuning baseline,if the carbs are at an extreme angle,your level in your float bowls will be screwy and it can cause all kinds of wierd problems. this is true with any carb,downdraft or sidedraft. you generally want the floatbowl to be level. the carbs ae going to change angles in operation but you still want to set from a baseline. for example, if you ran tubes straight from the original flange,the carbs will already be off 15 degrees add a 15 degree grade and they are off 30 degrees. that a lot.

SEi User

doens't it depend on what type of carb most bike carbs aren't mounted onto a bike totally flat? so may not be effect like Webers, and others for having too exteme an angle? Not 100% sure though.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX

i realize what you are talking about lostforawhile... but if you think about the forces a bike carb sees compared to what it is seeing on an accord i think that the 15 degree angle i have is fine. Also after driving in up and down some hills with the wideband it didn't seem to be effected by inclines either way.

After another freeway trip i can say that the carbs give a very smooth power curve... But you can really feel where there cam isn't in tune at all. Basically 5th gear is useless on a hill unless the revs are about 3500. Some of this i believe is the slight lean spot that i need to take care of.

rjudgey: How does the need get used for tuning? I get that it is supposed to be what blends the pilot jet to the main jet. And i read somewhere that tuning is done by adjusting the height of it... But i can't really tell how it changes.
    Zeph Uusitalo

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX

do you know the model of your carbs?
    Alex.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline

That is hot as hell. I like it very much nice jobs.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX

they are a Mikuni 34mm CV carb. I believe they came off a mid-late 80's honda 750 shadow. Other than that i couldn't tell you. I am really thinking about trying to find some 36 or 38mm carbs this summer to give them a try although as of now i haven't felt like the carb flow was limiting power but its worth a try.
    Zeph Uusitalo

SEi User

Not sure to behonest not great with bike carbs, i know that some mikunis can be rejetted using Weber main jets so might be worth looking at that see if you can take one apart and see whats inside. But normally most people reem the needles a little bit at a time untill they get what they want. I think you might have to check out some bike tuning forums that might help or have a word with a bike tuner thats nearby maybe he'll suggest something or mght be able to help you out for a small fee.

Vehicle

hey I know you are checking the air/fuel ratio as you drive but are you monitoring your fuel pressure also? the factory fuel pumps on these cars suck,they will hardly keep up with one carb,let alone four. you might be leaning out because of a drop in fuel pressure,also you will need a pump that can flow more GPM to keep four fuel bowls filled. I believe those carbs were originally gravity fed? or did that bike have a mechanical pump on the engine? if you upgrade the pump you will need a regulator for sure, I would guess maby 2 psi on those carbs. the FPR on my car is a low pressure one from holley,it will adjust from 1.5 to 5 psi. thats the type of regulator you need for those bike carbs. they need very low pressure. a better fuel pump will flow a higher rate of fuel and you won't have to worry about lean out. I'm going to be running a holley blue pump on mine when the conversion is done. here is the latest on mine https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56803

Vehicle

Last edited by shepherd79; 12-23-2006 at 08:42 AM.
    Alex.

Vehicle

here is the regulator you need,this is the same one I'm running,this will handle plenty of fuel flow at the correct pressure you need. what you could do is run two aluminum t fittings off the regulator,then you have a line for each carb. or make yourself some sort of fuel rail. just don't make it out of pcv LOL just kidding. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX

i don't think fueling is the problem because it runs right around 13:1 afr all the way to 7k... But from 2k to 3k its just a tad lean at all throttle positions. This i believe is due to the cam not pulling enough vacuum to get the required fuel into the engine. I am running a delta 282, and after the dyno sheets from openloop i am thinking i wanna run something a bit milder. If i start to have fueling issues i'll worry about it then.
    Zeph Uusitalo

Vehicle

oh, i see. well i can see how wild grind will cut into low rpm.
    yeah try delta 272 and see what happens.
    Alex.