Thread: What is anti sway bar for?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX

What is anti sway bar for?

I know what the stabilizer bar is but I am trying to figure out exactly how it helps my drive and ride. I took the front anti sway bar off my '89LX and it doesn't seem to drive any different. Maybe when I put the new bushings in.

I searched around but people only ask about switching in with LX-i or stuff and noone talks about preformance concepts, (that I can find). Any links would be appriciated.

What is it supposed to do?

How does it work with "stiffer" shocks and "lowered" center of Gravity?

Thanks
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin

Vehicle
    93 civic
    Main reason for a sway bar is to reduce body roll. Pretty much is a bar that makes the independent suspension less independent. Thats what I know it as. I lack further knowledge to explain it.

Vehicle
    87 LX
    It helps keep the car flat while cornering. Im suprised you did not notice a differance with it off. When one of my end links snapped and the bar was inoperable I definitly felt a differance.
    ------------------

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    The sway bar ties the lower control arms to the frame of the car. Like was said, it prevents body roll by restricting the amount the lower arm thus the entire suspension to move. To get less and less body roll, you need to upgrade to thicker bars. Thicker bars are stiffer and allows less movement.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    Think of an anit-sway bar as a spring that tries to keep both left and right wheels at the same height. It has no effect if you go straight over a speed bump since both wheels are moving together. However when cornering, as said above, it reduces the body roll by pushing the outside wheel down and pulling the inside wheel up. A lowered center of gravity reduces the stiffness required from the anit-sway bars since there is less torque trying to cause the body to roll when cornering.
    Mike

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX
    Ok, cool answers everyone. So I am going to assume that the spring and shock setup are for controling bumps and holes, but have the side effect of lifting the inside of car in a corner during turning (roll). The bar counters this effect.

I did drive alittle crazy to feel the rolling and i did notice that without the sway bar, after some s turns, the car continued to rock back and forth a little and could negetively effect handling on the next turn. This did not happen with bar, so I think I see why it is also called a stabilizing bar as well.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    They have 3 names that I know of. Stabilizer bar, sway bar, anti-roll bar.

Vehicle
    93 civic
    getting too big of a bar will cause extra stress for the springs and shocks and even possibly ripping the chassis.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX

Lightbulb

OK, I put new bushings and mounts on and it is obvoius what the Bar does!!! Man is it tight!!!

For minor corrections like lane changes it stays level and on hard corners it rolls a little but emidiatly levels out and stays level after turn.

The difference between my 15 year old bushing and no bar at all wasn't to great but going from no bar back to new bushings really made an impression. I recomend this fix to anyone who hasn't! Replace those bushings!!

Makes me want to get the a Energy Suspension kit for the whole car!!!

Cool, thanks again everyone.
    Benjamin Franklin

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    I want the Suspension Techniques sway bar set.

Vehicle
    93 civic
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDX89
    I want the Suspension Techniques sway bar set.
    I'll let you know how that performs when I get mine.