Thread: how to get clutch cable out!

Vehicle
    87 LX

how to get clutch cable out!

i cant figure out how to get that cable out. do you have to just get a new one or is there a way to get it out without cutting it. i need help!

Vehicle
    '95 Supra, '08 CBR 600RR, '89 LX-i Coupe (R.I.P.), '88 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.), '87 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.)
    out of where?
    Greg

1989 LX-i 2dr 5spd (R.I.P.)

2008 CBR 600RR -- 1995 Toyota Supra NA -- 2013 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x

LXi User
    Vehicle
    05 Legacy GT 87/accord/lx (rip)
    are you changing your clutch cable? if so unscrew the clutch adjustment screw all the way so you can slide it out of the lever arm. Then slide your head under the pedals, and watch them eyes. The other side of the cable I believe is attached by a little lever thingy, you have to find a way to slide it out. The hardest part is getting your hands into the linkage. Then repeat in reverse with the new cable.

Vehicle
    87LX / 86LXiHB / 90CRXSi(b16a) all gone... 91CRXSi(b16a) ...round two
    yeah, you should be able to push the cable up off of the clutch pedal, then you just need to pull it out through the engine bay. it will help to un bolt the windshield wiper motor for the install, you will actually have room to feed the cable back in.
    garagement racing

stlhondas.com

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    u should be able to get it thru. all u gotta do is, unscrew the plastic locker all the up and push the rubber gourmet that is attacted to the bracket (on the tranny) up. and then it will be easy to slide out the cable. If u get any problems, use an hydraulic jack underath the lever and jack it up till u get the cable outta the lever.

if ur talking about getting it outta the pedal. all u gotta do ishave enough slack in it, just jack up the lever as high as possible like above, and push the pedal, hold on to the cable, push the pedal back slowly and while doing that, then the cable up and remove it from the pedal assembly.

when u are doing either of the above, make sure u remove the cable line from the guide on the valve cover.

Vehicle
    87 LX
    i should have been more clean but i was in a hurry, i cant get it through the firewall. there is too almost washer like things at each end and they wont fit through the hole in the firewall and i cant seem to take anything off to make it fit.

Vehicle
    87LX / 86LXiHB / 90CRXSi(b16a) all gone... 91CRXSi(b16a) ...round two
    hmmm i was able to do it both ways when i did my tranny swap, when we pulled the cable from the donor car, we pulled it into the car (after the petal assembly was out) and when i put it in my car i fed it from the engine bay through the hole. you might just need ot "give it hell" but if it breaks (which i doubt) its not my fault.
    garagement racing

stlhondas.com

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by 87AccordLXsdn
    i should have been more clean but i was in a hurry, i cant get it through the firewall. there is too almost washer like things at each end and they wont fit through the hole in the firewall and i cant seem to take anything off to make it fit.
    take a flat head screwdriver, a thin/small one preffered. and slide it bwt the hole and the gourmet where it mates with the fire wall. then push the screwdriver in and pry the gourmet out with the cable attached to it. then u will be able to slip the clutch cable out of the firewall towards the engine bay.