Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: B18A Intake Manifold on A20A

SEi User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord POS tranny

Re: B18A Intake Manifold on A20A

hmm, i got a B16A2 intake manifold, its missing the thing on the back, i think its the fast idle valve. is there anything i can really do about that? i never really liked starting it up at 2000rpm, so will this be my chance to block it off and let it idle at start up like normal?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

swap, are the ports the same size or a little bigger on the b18 intake? Ive heard soo much talk about portmatching and shit but they look the same... whats the deal?
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle

they look that way in the pic but i dont think they are actually a different size... thats what im trying to find out

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

The non vtec manifold will not cause you to lose your low rpm torque. The ls makes more torque than the a20, with less displacement. I'm glad to finally see people trying to use the ls manifold instead of the b16, one far less suited to the a20..

I just went outside and held up my ls IM gasket aginst my a20 head, which I port matched to fit the aebs manifold. The gasket matched, so the ports are the same between the b16 and ls manifolds. Mostly the top of the a20 port needs to be enlarged to match. I think if you don't port match the head, you won't get anything like what you should get from the swap.
    Last edited by Accordtheory; 12-26-2005 at 12:17 PM.

SEi User
    Vehicle

And oh yeah, people who polish intake ports haven't read much about porting.."boundary layer separation" is desirable. You don't want your fuel settling out onto the walls of the ports and then dripping into the chamber..a rougher texture discourages the fuel from sticking to the walls as it flows past

Vehicle
    1988/Accord/DX, 1989/Accord/LXi, 1977/AMC/CJ-7

I'm trying to convert to obd1 (soon). I'm putting in a b18b (2000 ls) nonvtec manifold, f22 distributor, and a20a3 head. I'm using a p75 (94 integra ls) ecu.

I was told in my thread, exactly what Accordtheory just said, that you will actually gain low rpm, exactly what i want. I got a quote from inlinepro (shop around here, they're also online inlinepro.com) saying it'll cost 900 to port and polish the head, and to port match the manifold. I'm doing this sometime in january, if you're all still wondering, i'll take plenty of pictures and i'll note the differences.

SEi User
    Vehicle

$900 to port and polish a head to the manifold?? I pm'd you, did you already find a fuel injected head?

SEi User
    Vehicle

Someone should post up a pic of the carb head with the b series IM gasket on it, to show how much you would have to modify the ports, or if it's possible at all to make it work. Or if you don't have the gasket, just throw up a good pic of the ports..

Vehicle

Accordtheory, yeah 900, i need to start saving.. I could always take it to vertex..

I'm still looking for a head, but havent found any. I know you have one, but youre hella far. You're my for-sure thing if everyone decides to be lame around here and steal all the good head from the junkyard before i get there.

I have my b18b mani if you want me to take some pics of it for you. I have to take pics for frankie89 anyway

Vehicle

2000 Acura Integra LS ... hope this helps someone, i just uploaded a lot of pics

Vehicle
    Manual 89 Se-i Accord

Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter
    swap, are the ports the same size or a little bigger on the b18 intake? Ive heard soo much talk about portmatching and shit but they look the same... whats the deal?
    I didn't have an intake gasket to compare the two intakes with, but I took a caliper and measured the port sizes, port spacing, and spacing between the bolt holes and the ports.

I do not think any port matching would be needed; the ports seem to be identical.

Vehicle

ok thanks thats what i was thinking!

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Swap_File
    I didn't have an intake gasket to compare the two intakes with, but I took a caliper and measured the port sizes, port spacing, and spacing between the bolt holes and the ports.
    I do not think any port matching would be needed; the ports seem to be identical.
    The ports between what two heads? The a20 and the ls are Not identical..

And getready, need I remind you that I've already ported my head to match the B series manifold..but go ahead, waste your $900...

SEi User
    Vehicle

Anyone have a pic of the ports on the carbed a20 head..?

Vehicle
    Manual 89 Se-i Accord

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory
    The ports between what two heads? The a20 and the ls are Not identical..
    Well, other than the two holes that need to be drilled, and the extra bolt hole and 2 coolant lines that will not be used, the ports (on my B18B intake) seemed to be the same size and in the same location as the ports on my spare A20A3 intake.

I can go and double check it today.
    Last edited by Swap_File; 12-27-2005 at 07:45 AM.

LXi User

Accordtheory I have a carb head but, not in my possestion. *accords in the paint booth* As soon as I get my car back Im converting to EFI *most likely OBD1 but not sure*Im buying all my parts on New Years Day bc theres a half off sale at a local junkyard.Should I just go ahead and get the EFI head? Would this help at all in the EFI swap?

Think about this guys...why not use a b18 mani that is meant for lower end power? If thats a concern at all that should help.Long runners=high end and short runners=low end correct? I really like the design of the venom intakes although they are a tick out of my price range.Theyre geared towards low end I think. Just my .02
    For Sale:
    T3/T4 Turbo, wastegate, and BOV
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Port & Polished, 5-angle valve job, bowl and swirl job, Head -$1000 invested in machining alone

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by w00tw00t111
    Accordtheory I have a carb head but, not in my possestion. *accords in the paint booth* As soon as I get my car back Im converting to EFI *most likely OBD1 but not sure*Im buying all my parts on New Years Day bc theres a half off sale at a local junkyard.Should I just go ahead and get the EFI head? Would this help at all in the EFI swap?
    Think about this guys...why not use a b18 mani that is meant for lower end power? If thats a concern at all that should help.Long runners=high end and short runners=low end correct? I really like the design of the venom intakes although they are a tick out of my price range.Theyre geared towards low end I think. Just my .02
    When someone posts a pic of the carb head's intake ports, you'll know if you should get an a20a3 head or not.. I remember believing that the carb a20 head does not have provisions for the injectors, but now i don't remember why I thought that. Hence waiting for the pic.

As far as the runner length/size, play around with a computer design program for designing ported sub boxes, and you'll see how the port diameter/ length affect the volume (volumetric efficiency) at a certain frequency (rpm). Longer=lower frequency, lower rpm.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

All A20A heads are the same. If the A20A1 was any different, I wouldn't have been able to do the EFI conversion.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

LXi User

Quote Originally Posted by carotman
    All A20A heads are the same. If the A20A1 was any different, I wouldn't have been able to do the EFI conversion.
    Good deal carotman! I was asking b/c this sunday I'm going to go get all the parts for the EFI conversion and I really wasn't looking forward to removing the head but I was going to do whatever it takes. Although...a P&P would be nice to have I might do it anyways!
    For Sale:
    T3/T4 Turbo, wastegate, and BOV
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Port & Polished, 5-angle valve job, bowl and swirl job, Head -$1000 invested in machining alone

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

SEi User
    Vehicle

Damn it..who the hell told me the carb head doesn't have the raised top of the port for the injectors! Now I look like an ass, because I told getready that he needed to change to an a20a3 head. Oh well, fuck it..

Vehicle

well, thats good news for me. So i can just rebuild my a20a1 head and it'll be alright? I dont understand how this'll work, but i guess i'll find out soon enough..

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX Sedan (RIP), 1989 (same) RIP, 86 Hatch Lx-i, JDM b20a, Gude headpkg, AEM cam gears/cai, thermal xhst, 2.5/3" lowrd tokico/groundctrl, 17" Seneca whls, hypereutectic pistons, .020" over, 13:1 comp

same heads, different intakes with the bs motor and a20x motor

interchangeability is easy

Vehicle

so, you take the carb off and replace with injectors? seems a little too easy, or i'm completely retarded.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline

You are not completely retarded, you just did not look at the Projects section. You just replace the manifolds.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

So no one feels retarded, I'll post some pics of my A20A1 head for comparison next week.