Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: B18A Intake Manifold on A20A

LXi User
    Vehicle
    86 Lx-i Hb.

Exclamation B18A Intake Manifold on A20A

need answers and clarification.

-b18a manifold fits with drilling.
    -how would you go about the vacuum hoses and such?
    -would you plug it up the same way it looks on the a20x manifold?
    -has anyone done this allready? who? pics? how to?

thanks. i allready have the b18a manifold and its sitting at my dads gerage right now. any info would be nice on how i would go about doing the swap. flame get mad. tell me to search. say whatever. but ive searched and nuthing has came up on how to do it.. just came up on 'if you can or cant' . thanks - junior -
    - J u n i o r -
    Quote Originally Posted by 89ACCORDVTECH
    - One of my carS is an SEI A20 my LXI has AN H22

Vehicle
    '95 Supra, '08 CBR 600RR, '89 LX-i Coupe (R.I.P.), '88 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.), '87 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.)
    to see how well it will fit, get a intake manifold gasket for the accord, and then put it on the end of the b18 manifold to see where holes would need to be drilled and stuff, make sure the ports line up correctly(although they'll be a bigger diameter on the manifold). as far as hooking it up and will it fit.., i'm not entirely sure..., haven't done this yet.
    Greg

1989 LX-i 2dr 5spd (R.I.P.)

2008 CBR 600RR -- 1995 Toyota Supra NA -- 2013 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x

LXi User
    Vehicle
    86 Lx-i Hb.
    Quote Originally Posted by maka_RTH
    to see how well it will fit, get a intake manifold gasket for the accord, and then put it on the end of the b18 manifold to see where holes would need to be drilled and stuff, make sure the ports line up correctly(although they'll be a bigger diameter on the manifold). as far as hooking it up and will it fit.., i'm not entirely sure..., haven't done this yet.
    yea ive read so many posts about the gasket thing lol. but none about actually doing it or beyond the gasket part. if the b18 manifold has bigger ports. . should i just port the head to match up to the manifold also?
    - J u n i o r -

DX User
    Quote Originally Posted by bboipinoy112
    need answers and clarification.

-b18a manifold fits with drilling.
    -how would you go about the vacuum hoses and such?
    -would you plug it up the same way it looks on the a20x manifold?
    -has anyone done this allready? who? pics? how to?

thanks. i allready have the b18a manifold and its sitting at my dads gerage right now. any info would be nice on how i would go about doing the swap. flame get mad. tell me to search. say whatever. but ive searched and nuthing has came up on how to do it.. just came up on 'if you can or cant' . thanks - junior -
    hey greets about the intake manifold i did it like a week ago and its pretty easy you only have to drill 2 holes a little lower from the stock ones from the runner #1 and the #3.its pretty easy cause ell the other holes lines up.here is a pic for u to usi for a reference

DX User
    i forget to tell that mines is from a b18B but its the same.

P.D-sorry me english

LXi User
    Vehicle
    86 Lx-i Hb.
    holy jesus ... what about the vacuum lines?
    - J u n i o r -

Vehicle
    1988 honda accord lx-i
    do u notice any power gains??
    Check out my family site: mysite.verizon.net/vze8kudg

Vehicle
    '95 Supra, '08 CBR 600RR, '89 LX-i Coupe (R.I.P.), '88 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.), '87 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.)
    as for the bigger ports on the manifold, you can just get you head port-matched for the manifold. this is recommended anyways for optimum flow. and if you got the money, you may as well get your head port and polished at the same time, along with the intake manifold.
    Greg

1989 LX-i 2dr 5spd (R.I.P.)

2008 CBR 600RR -- 1995 Toyota Supra NA -- 2013 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    okay, if your worried about your vaccum lines, here is the solution. Get one of the vaccum distribution units. Its a big ole round thing with places for you to plug in hoses. You will have to get some "T" connectors and go from there, if you dont wanna spend big bucks.

DX User
    Quote Originally Posted by smufguy
    okay, if your worried about your vaccum lines, here is the solution. Get one of the vaccum distribution units. Its a big ole round thing with places for you to plug in hoses. You will have to get some "T" connectors and go from there, if you dont wanna spend big bucks.
    That's exactly what i did use 2 T's for all the vaccums.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    um, i thought it was a bad idea to port out the intake part of the head because honda makes them in just a way that it helps mix the air/fuel mixture. If you port out the intake ports, dont you have to 'texture' them to make sure it works like its supposed to?
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    you port match it to the manifold, never on the head. but if a quality head work is done where oversized valves and longer valves with cams that have higher duration and greater lift will compansate for it. but like caleb mentioned, u dont wanna blindly mess with the intake side of the head, be careful how much u take off and just polish the crap outta it.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    '85 lude
    im actually about to do this too. honestly you dont even need to drill the 2 bolts. all the other bolts are fine and more than enough.
    after i rebuilt my motor i didnt feel like fighting to get the bottom bolts, so i left em off, had no leaks or probs now for almost 3000 miles

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    for NA you should not have problems with it leaking. But under boost. Well u are better off doing everything right. Also, Drilling the extra holes is not a pain, just mark them right, take it to a drill press or a mill and ur done in about 15 to 20 mts.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    86 Lx-i Hb.
    DAMN!. . getting our intake manifold is a bitch.... arg gar garr ! . but its off. 4 hours of fun. now i know how to take it off with out pain next time. maybe still pain, like busted fingers and chunks of skin taken off do to stupid 10mm bults that are tight as hell... why are the 10mm bolts harder to take off then the 12 14 17 19s ? anyways. yea... there is alot things going on when taking the manifold off. but hey. the intake manifold is going in.

edit- snap-on tools are the shit. everyone should go buy some. replace your peice of shit craftsmans with snap-ons .... oh and swivel sockets and rachets are the SHIT!.. basic swivel socket and rachet set, couple extensions(3in,6in'rs), saved my life. if i was stuck with the ORDINARY tool set . . . who knows
    Last edited by bboipinoy112; 10-05-2004 at 08:53 PM.
    - J u n i o r -

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Yeah certainly get the distribution unit... or make one out of a 1/2" - 5/8" pipe with little 5/32" nubs for the vacum lines... It should get rid of problems caused by diminished vacuum signal.
    - llia

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    with the top torque rod outta the way, it should take u no less than 20 mts to pull the manifold out. Atleast thats how long it took me when i had to change the gasket.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    86 Lx-i Hb.
    hMmmm. well. it coulda been faster. but it was at my pace of sitting and talking. and getting a bolt off and then talk again. so yea.
    - J u n i o r -

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX
    im curious to see the gains with a stock b18 manifold. I have considered an aftermarket manifold myself.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    86 Lx-i Hb.
    im curious also. when i ran my car at the tracks with shortram, monza muffler and no weight red. i hit 16.7s-8s. so yea. after this swap with the hybrid integ tranny. i will head out to the tracks on the 13th. and we will see what the 2 swaps will do together.
    - J u n i o r -

LXi User
    Vehicle
    86 Lx-i Hb.
    how much HP do you think it will bump me up, if any ?
    - J u n i o r -

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    i guess you guys did not follow up on search the old threads. cause this was already discussed. The power gains are hard to say if you dont have engine mods, like a camshaft, more fuel and other stuff. This is because, the B series manifold is designed for making power in the higher rpm, where these B series motors make their power obviously. So u will loose a lot of low end, i mean a lot. This swap on the manifold is only advised if u got motor work done with a rebuilt block, worked on head, cams, high cr pistons and what not to utelize this manifold. BUt for forced induction, this is the way to go.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    Actually, you won't loose that much low end and if you think that you've lost too much there are was of compensating that... I run a b16 mani. but I also have the works done to my engine so I might not be able to give a fair accessment for the stock guys... I can tell you this, you will definitely feel it on the top end... The car feels like it will pull for days....

Vehicle
    Manual 89 Se-i Accord

Re: B18A Intake Manifold on A20A

I found a B18B at the junkyard, and grabbed the intake. Here are pictures of it next to my extra A20A3 intake.

Note the two locations that need holes drilled, and note the one bolt hole and two coolant lines that would be unused.
    Last edited by Swap_File; 12-25-2005 at 09:24 PM.

Vehicle
    Manual 89 Se-i Accord

Re: B18A Intake Manifold on A20A

There is a limit of 10 pictures per post, so here are the rest:

Notice how the B18B intake dips less than the A20A3 intake, and it also ends up being taller.