Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: B series engine mounts!!! READ!!!

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.
    heres a quick little mock up of one of the mounts, dose this tell everything needed to be known. Let me know if anything needs to be added.

Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Lx-i Sedan (long term project)
    i found an online machine shop with a downloadable CAD program you can use. after you are done with it, you email it back to them and they will machine the part you designed on the CAD program for you. cool eh? check it out:

http://www.emachineshop.com
    Last edited by ICEMAN707; 10-01-2005 at 01:19 AM.

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by ICEMAN707
    i found an online machine shop with a downloadable CAD program you can use. after you are done with it, you email it back to them and they will machine the part you designed on the CAD program for you. cool eh? legend master, see if you can mess with that program a bit. check it out:

http://www.emachineshop.com
    oops, damn double post
    Last edited by ICEMAN707; 09-18-2005 at 05:54 PM.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master
    heres a quick little mock up of one of the mounts, dose this tell everything needed to be known. Let me know if anything needs to be added.
    I think you need to be a bit more accurate. But it depends on how you have them made. My plan was to have them machined at emachineshop from solid aluminum. They wouldn't be the weld together crap like the PRI stuff. If you want some joe schmo to make them, they could probably use what you have.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    yep, emachineshop is the best. if you can design it, they carve it out of solid block t6061 aluminum on a milling machine. and that's one piece, per your design. not welded together.
    Last edited by ICEMAN707; 09-19-2005 at 09:50 AM.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Just an example of what I can do. In case it actually matters. This is just a generic mount. It probably won't fit anything.

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDX89
    Just an example of what I can do. In case it actually matters. This is just a generic mount. It probably won't fit anything.

that looks good steve, I tride and got the circular part of the mount done. I was having trouble with the other peice .

Vehicle
    nice job steve. i was having difficulty with that program. nice to see you got the hang of it. now design those mounts!

on another note, after you design the mount housings, where do you get the bushings and bearing sleeves to put in the mounts? maybe prothane.com? i read somewhere that they carry standard 3" motor mount bushings. so does eibach or suspension techniques i believe.

Vehicle
    nice job steve. i was having difficulty with that program. nice to see you got the hang of it. now design those mounts!

on another note, after you design the mount housings, where do you get the bushings and bearing sleeves to put in the mounts? maybe prothane.com? i read somewhere that they carry standard 3" motor mount bushings. so does eibach or suspension techniques i believe.

making you own polyurethane inserts is easy. Look around on the web and on honda tech. You just buy the poly and pour it into the inside of the circle on the mount and let it dry.

Vehicle
    I am going to a CNC machine shop tomarrow to check on have these things remade. He told me if I can sell enough of them he will make a cast so that more can be made. I will let you guys know what kinda prices we will be looking at. and steve I wouldent have a problem sending these things to you, but as close as I am to the swap and with the amount of items that get damaged and lost in the mail it kinda scares me. If all else fails maybe I can get a company around here to draw up the schematics for future use.

Vehicle
    87LX / 86LXiHB / 90CRXSi(b16a) all gone... 91CRXSi(b16a) ...round two
    ...even I may be interested in buying some... for the right price. my rex is toast, and I wouldn't mind buying another 3g to swap my b16 stuff over to.
    garagement racing

stlhondas.com

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX-I 4spd Automatic.
    What program is that, that you are using??
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by sporkHSP
    ...even I may be interested in buying some... for the right price. my rex is toast, and I wouldn't mind buying another 3g to swap my b16 stuff over to.

I will post up prices tommarow after I get them ready. It really is going to depend on how many people are REALLY willing to put the money upfront.

Vehicle
    so long as it's not $1000 for a set of mounts like PlaceRacing was charging.....which was rediculous, like they were on crack or something. i would buy the mounts for sure.

Vehicle
    so long as it's not $1000 for a set of mounts like PlaceRacing was charging.....which was rediculous, like they were on crack or something. i would buy the mounts for sure.

I also have the shift linkage now and I can measure that out also.

LX User
    Prices, please

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by Doward
    Prices, please

all in good time grasshopper

Vehicle
    Here's a random design I made on the CAD program:

As you can see, the design can be made if the accurate specs are there. AND as you can also see, it's made from one solid aluminum piece. Which makes it very durable. This was my plan on making my engine mounts.

For me to design the right mounts, I would first need to get a hold of and buy a b-series engine and tranny setup and set it in the 3gee engine bay properly aligned. Use posterboard as templates then make MDF wood mockups of the mounts. Then I make measurements off the wood mockups and write them all down then use the measurements to design the real mounts in the CAD program. It would be made of t6061 aluminum. Light and very strong.

But till that happens, depending on money issue, I am SOL on getting the right specs for the mounts. I've had this problem with getting the title for my Chevy Crapalier for months. I coulda sold this car months ago and made money to fund my 3gee's engine swap project. But unfortunately, my plan backfired on me cus of those incompetent assholes at the dealership. But anyways, this is where you guys with the PlaceRacing mounts come in and help out us fellow 3geezers. It would definitely save steps, that's for sure.
    Last edited by ICEMAN707; 09-20-2005 at 03:30 AM.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    I've been wanting to do the mounts for months, I just have the engine in my car so it's not very easy to measure them. I was going to charge $400-$450 on them depending on total cost to manufacture them. Looks like Legend_Master has it now so hopefully it works out for you guys.

Vehicle
    Here is my CAD rendering of that PlaceRacing tranny mount based on those measurements by Legendmaster alone:

Though probably not 100% accurate, I think it's pretty damn close for just eyeballing it. Need measurements of every detail of that mount to be 100% accurate.
    Last edited by ICEMAN707; 09-20-2005 at 07:53 AM.

Vehicle
    Well the first CNC place I went to said they could make the first set for $500+, but they do not do polyurethane. He gave me the name an Phone number of a person locally that draws proffesional schematics, so I think I will talk to that guy and have him draw up the scematics before I stick them in the car. With the schematics the CNC shop said they can make the mounts for cheaper. If it is only like $25 to make the drawing I dotn mind paying for them, but if they come out to be expensive I think a board donation would be nice since I will be posting them up for everybody on the forum to use. I will let you guys know how this works out.

p.s. Iceman that looks very similar to the mount

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89
    I give you props for your efforts Legend_master! A board donation for the schematics sounds like a real good idea. It's a cause I'd like to support anyway. Even if I wouldnt ever need the specs.

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdane
    I give you props for your efforts Legend_master! A board donation for the schematics sounds like a real good idea. It's a cause I'd like to support anyway. Even if I wouldnt ever need the specs.

well I just talk to the guy and we are going to meet on thursday. He said he make the schematics with no problem, but then he told me that he has a laser cad machine and can make the mounts out of whatever kind of metal we want. He also told me he can make a plastic cast to mold the polyurethane mounts out of. I will let you guys know pricing on thursday.

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master
    well I just talk to the guy and we are going to meet on thursday. He said he make the schematics with no problem, but then he told me that he has a laser cad machine and can make the mounts out of whatever kind of metal we want. He also told me he can make a plastic cast to mold the polyurethane mounts out of. I will let you guys know pricing on thursday.

i knew there had to be an easier way to get measurements. the right places have a laser CAD 3D scanning machine that could scan any object you put in and would make a wire-frame schematic of the object in 3D on the screen. you've probably seen the same thing in movie special effects to where they scan the statue makacs of actors faces to make the person in computer generated form.

on the other hand. good job bro. i knew there had to be a way. im sick of people bitching about not being able to have b-series mounts and not doing anything about it. thanks for proving them wrong. if we could donate, let us know.

OOOH, that reminds me, i could start making CAD drawings and have copies made of my DC sports strut bar and sell to everyone here. not to mention a bunch of other car parts like actual adjustable front upper control arms, short shifter, sway bars, actual rear upper strut braces. no more ghetto rigging. i'll let you guys know what cool stuff come up in designs. i'm just starting to get the hang of this program. it's pretty difficult to do it manually versus having a 3D scanner.
    Last edited by ICEMAN707; 09-20-2005 at 01:54 PM.

Vehicle
    i knew there had to be an easier way to get measurements. the right places have a laser CAD 3D scanning machine that could scan any object you put in and would make a schematic of the object in 3D on the screen. you've probably seen the same thing in movie special effects to where they scan the statue makacs of actors faces to make the person in computer generated form.

on the other hand. good job bro. i knew there had to be a way. im sick of people bitching about not being able to have b-series mounts and not doing anything about it. thanks for proving them wrong. if we could donate, let us know.

it should not be to expensive, but lets just see how this all turns out. I think haveing the scematics will put us one step closer to haveing the mounts available again.