Thread: starter rotating too slow?

Vehicle
    '95 Supra, '08 CBR 600RR, '89 LX-i Coupe (R.I.P.), '88 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.), '87 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.)

starter rotating too slow?

ok, here's the deal. i was doing a tune-up on my friends car, and now it won't start. it's a 86 dx. i replaced the plugs, correctly gapped, wires, cap, rotor. i've checked two plugs for spark by taking them out, and using an inductive timing light it lights up on all the wires(implying that all the plugs are firing). the carb is getting gas. and before i did this the car ran fine and was drivin to my house. so, basically, my question is, can the starter rotate too slow to start the car(even with jumper cables on a running car, so it's not the battery)? on my parts car and my 4dr, they both rotate a bit faster than my friends dx. basically i don't want to have to get a new starter if i don't have to. any ideas would be appreciated, and sorry it's so long.
    Greg

1989 LX-i 2dr 5spd (R.I.P.)

2008 CBR 600RR -- 1995 Toyota Supra NA -- 2013 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    I cleaned out the grooves in on the communicator of my starter motor and it cranks much better now. Might be worth a try before replacing it.
    Mike

Vehicle
    '95 Supra, '08 CBR 600RR, '89 LX-i Coupe (R.I.P.), '88 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.), '87 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.)
    ok. i made a couple videos, real short, starting a good car and this one. here's the good one: good
    and the questionable one: bad
    i started the first one(disc coil so it just cranks), and then i reconnected the coil and started it and hooked up jumper cables to the second one, then tried to start it and it cranks a bit slower. would a new starter fix this and allow it to start?
    Greg

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord Lx
    One thing you have to keep in mind is that the starter pinion gear meshes in 4 spots on the fly wheel. always the same four spots. SO if you're having starting probs try turning the flywheen a bit and see if it catches.
    Another thing is sometimes the starter is good but the starter solenoid can be worn out or just bad.
    If the starter sounds like it's just going very very slow and not able to crank over the engine check the power and ground lines first, make sure they are attached to a clean surface and grounded properly, and if you have a DVOM check to see if you have any voltage loss from the battery to the starter. and if there is alot of resistance.
    A low charged battery can be a cause as well.
    It sounds like the coil is good so don't worry about that.
    So go to an autoparts store that can test the battery and your starter is go from there.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 ACCORD LX
    the starter can be shorting internaly i had this when u crank touch the starter if its hot like realy hot only after a few craks then its ur starter also if its auto cheack the flyweel make shure it dint spin on the torqe converter i had this two in my 86 thats a problem u dont want to cheak this take the starter off slide ur hand in the hole and push the teath back and forth if it fells loose take a big fat head screw driver and try spinig the teath if this happens wich it dose on alot of 86 auto ur only help is a mig welder u can spot welt threw the starter hole or u can raise the car and take the cross beam that gose from the front frame to the rear frame take that off and thier will be a a sheet meatal gard take that off and weld away

DX User
    Quote Originally Posted by SHURIK
    a big fat head screw driver and try spinig the teath if this happens wich it dose on alot of 86 auto ur only help is a mig welder u can spot welt threw the starter hole or u can raise the car and take the cross beam that gose from the front frame to the rear frame take that off and thier will be a a sheet meatal gard take that off and weld away
    That is excetly what happened on my 86,did you do the welding yourself? if you did can you give me a how to,will the heat from welding be a problem.It is hard to take my car to a shop since it will not start and they may not want to do that throught the starter hole(need tranny out). Thank for any help.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 ACCORD LX
    IF THE CONVERTER RING SLIPT then its easy to fix get the car like a foot of the groung take the midle beam off witch is 4 bolts in the front 3 in the rear when u take that of thier will be a a sheet metal gaurd to take that off u have to take of this braket on the front that ties the motor to the trany then thier will be on ten mm bolt on the front of the gaurd and another in the rear the rear one u need a good light to spot it then the gaurd comes right off and u will see the the the ring with teeath on the converter u can weld with a mig welder not a torch leave the fluid in the trans cause that will help the welds cool without distorting the converter
    and when u weld do spot welding and do one spot for evry 10 m bolt holding the flyweel to the converter u need to do it this way so u dont have a balance problem cause if u put one weld thier on thier u will mes up the balance and u will blow the maine seal on the trany and motor also evry spot u put down take a small chisel and hammer and lightly try chiseling at it to see if its holding some spots will come off so redoem but it will take like 3 hours to do and u will save alot of cash if u do it urself any mig welder will do even stick welder but not a torch and u dont need welding glasses cause its a spot all u do is plase the gun turn away hit the triger and let of its supper easy tell me how it gose

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 ACCORD LX
    kingbigbig how is ur starter ring going wana see what u do with it if ya dont wana bother i might buy ur car if it has a nice body cause right now i have enoghf parts to build 3 accords just needa good body to put the parts on
    so if urs is nice hit me up i will make u an offer that u probly wont refuse

first when you jump start it connect the negative cable at the ground wire that goes to the little bracket with a screw right next to the starter, if it cranks better it's the caqble, if not then it's probably the starter, try swapping the starters with another. If still no change then I guess try hook up + of the jumper cable directly to the starter input nut aand check that.
    One of these 3 should do it
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    i guess i didn't update this one. i finally did get it started.., i guess it was just starved of fuel or something. after repeatedly pumping the gas tons of times while trying to crank it started. i did pull the starter and took it to autozone, and they tested it and it seemed fine. i was gonna swap it out of my current auto to see if maybe it still was the problem.., but since it finally started, then yah.
    Greg

DX User
    Quote Originally Posted by SHURIK
    kingbigbig how is ur starter ring going wana see what u do with it if ya dont wana bother i might buy ur car if it has a nice body cause right now i have enoghf parts to build 3 accords just needa good body to put the parts on
    so if urs is nice hit me up i will make u an offer that u probly wont refuse
    Sorry, no nice body here (salt belt state :0 ( ).On the ring gear issue, did you take the left axle off to reach the 10mm bolt on the cover? I didn't get enough clearnance with the axle in there.
    I don't have welding experiance but willing try,what spot did you hook up the ground cable to while you do the welding( I'm planning to use stick)? is it safe to touch the car body when arc is producing?

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 ACCORD LX
    disconect ur batery so u dont kill ur ecu u can ground to prety much anything even the ground on ur trany it should work and with stick u just wana be a bit jentel dont rush and dont put down huge spots just be jentel and dont cook it for long but it llooks like u will have it running no problem and that steal gaurd throw it away cause its usles i left myne open way better cooling for the converter when i am driving crazy

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 ACCORD LX
    and yes its safe to touch the car i only got electrecuted once while welding in a big ass pool of watter and it wasent the welder it was the plug it was in the watter thats what happent when ur welding a beam in a floded basement