Thread: My brother's new prelude!

Vehicle
    '92 Toyota Paseo

Talking My brother's new prelude!

My brother's 85 Prelude more or less kicked the bucket last week so my brother had to get a new car. He found an 88 Prelude Si and bought it. $1600 with 160000 miles. It is all blue and is really nice. He let me drive it and I had never driven a car's 5-speed, only trucks manual transmission. What fun! I never knew driving could be such a blast!

Anyway, I popped his hood and looked under, and what do my eyes behold, but a DOHC! I was like, "No way, that has got to be a B series engine!" and my brother is pretty stupid when it comes to cars so he acted like "who cares."

Does anyone know if the 3rd gen Preludes with DOHC's are B series engines?

Thanks

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe
    Si's sport the 2.1L DOHC motor. The S's are carbed and have one cam I think...

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    ok here is what your brother has under the hood.
    if it is Si model than it has B20A5 engine, fuel injected, 110hp@5500rpm 114ft.lps@4500prm, 9.0:1 compression
    the 89 Si next year had 135Hp. so he may want to look what is the diff.
    but it is not a B20A JDM egine.
    Alex.

lol, you know this guy thought about sneaking out one night and switching the motors and hoping his brother wouldn't notice :bh:
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    '92 Toyota Paseo
    Nice one, POS. Yeah, I would do that if I was a magic creature made up of everyone who has ever been on Monster Garage rolled into one.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SE-i coupe
    Yes, they are B series engines. No they will not swap into our cars... they lean the wrong way.

My collection: Stay tuned! (04/02/2009)

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett View Post
    glorious!

imagine a beowulf cluster of tho... oh wait... its sabz. how is the beowulf cluster of myth boxen treating you?

Vehicle
    2005 Civic LX Coupe
    They did not come stock with the DOHC engine. It was a SOHC L4. The previous owner could have done a JDM engine swap on it. The only 3G Preludes to sport the DOHC were those sold in Japan, Australia, and New Zealand. I could be mistaken on this point, but I do believe they came standard in Preludes sold in Europe as well. I had an 88 Si and what it had under the hood was the SOHC engine.

Vehicle
    1989 LXI Coupe Kswap, 1989 LXI Bswap
    no, us preluse si do have the dohc, well i have seen alot of them sporting the dohc
    Style Quality Uniqueness And Design
    S.Q.U.A.D. Engineering
    www.squadengineering.com

http://www.facebook.com/squadengineering

Vehicle
    '92 Toyota Paseo
    You must have gotten screwed Bob. (BTW, nice new moderator graphic). I looked through his owner's manual and it refered to everything having to do with the engine as just OHC, not specifically saying DOHC or SOHC because the base models came with SOHC.

I also heard that the Si-S came with 4 wheel steering. How would that work, and has anyone driven a car with 4 wheel steering?

Vehicle
    2005 Civic LX Coupe
    The 3G Lude did have the 4WS option. Honda ditched it because it was very unreliable. There were many returning to the shop on a regular basis for 4WS repairs. I also know that Honda did mid-generation changes to the 3G Lude in 1990. Most of the changes were cosmetic, ie: clear rear turn signals, etc. They may have added the DOHC to the Si as well. All I know is my 88 Si was a SOHC.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Prelude 2.0Si

engines

I have seen more than a few 88 preludes that have the DOHC enigne, and doesn't the "B" in the engine code refer to the engine being a DOHC, 3geez engines are "A" which means one cam... Honda puts DOHC engines in a lot of cars, they are not very rare, every integra has one...

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe
    I have a 91 Lude Si with ABS and it has a 2.1 DOHC. I had a 90 Lude Si and it had a DOHC as well. I'm assuming 88 and 89 Si trim levels had DOHC. The S's had like 4 carbs that had to be synched like motorcycle carbs. That sucked.