Thread: engines

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 accord dx hatchback

engines

i wwas wonderin if anyone had an engine (and possibly tranny) that would fit an 86 accord dx automatic......im burning major oil and was told i need a new engine (i would like to replace the tranny with it b/c it was startin to go)....the only problem is i need this for as cheap as i can get it... the garages around here seem to just want to rip u off...if anyone can help me reply to this please

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

Best place to look for one is the good ole Junk Yard.

I know that in Jax, Fl. I can pull any engine and tranny for $100
    Phil

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchback86accord
    i wwas wonderin if anyone had an engine (and possibly tranny) that would fit an 86 accord dx automatic......im burning major oil and was told i need a new engine (i would like to replace the tranny with it b/c it was startin to go)....the only problem is i need this for as cheap as i can get it... the garages around here seem to just want to rip u off...if anyone can help me reply to this please
    since ur in PA, pm Hostilejava. He got a LXI hatchie sitting in his driveway that needs to go.His motor is good and ur better off getting his. His is an auto too so u dont have to worry about changing trannies. Ur better off driving to his house and picking it up. Ill help u guys (even tho im in NJ) if you guys need help pulling the engine.

DX User
    have you done any diagnosis to see why its leaking oil? i would never replace an entire engine without knowing the cause of the oil leakage. if you're only leaking in one or two places, you don't need a new engine. do you have oil coming out of your exhaust? if you do, what color is it? (white, black, gray, sorta greenish and sweet smelling <-- that would be coolant, not oil). do a cylinder leakage test. if you're not able to do it yourself, have a friend or a somewhat trustworthy shop do it. if air expels into a neighboring cylinder, you've got a leaky headgasket, which could leak oil. check your cam seal. i dunno about A series engines, but B series engines are notorious for going through cam seals. D series aren't much better either, so it might be a honda thing.

tell us where the oil is coming from. is it strictly in the exhaust and blowing smoke, or is it leaking out onto the block or head or tranny? it would be a shame to throw away a good motor for a simple headgasket that only costs 3o or 40 bucks. or a cam seal that only costs like 8 bucks. not to mention the time it takes to do all the work.

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 accord dx hatchback
    i know there is no oil leakin on to the gound so it must be burning it up when it started doin this really bad...it had white and blueish smoke pourin from the back end.....i had just put 2 quarts of oil in it before that..well it must have been dry bc oine of my buddys dumped more in that day that it broke down and started smokin..... supposedly the temp gauge never went up though..(it does work bc when the car is completly cool its at the bottom and as the car warms up the needle goes up but it never got extreamly highnever even near the red...my buddy was drivin it when it did it.. i first thought i did blow a head gasket but with my topaz when i did that it over heated rite away bc the coolant leaked into the engine... i still have coolant in my honda...so im confused

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    it could also be ur rings are bad. Usually for an engine burning up oil, its usually the rings at fault. The head gasket is usually the coolant. So like i said, pm hostilejava and go from there.