Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ***Engine Light... Code 17 VSS Vehical Speed Sensor***

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord SE-i FI 5speed Coupe

***Engine Light... Code 17 VSS Vehical Speed Sensor***

ok I have been getting code 17 4awhile now, and I wanna know where the vehical speed sensor is located on an 89 Honda Accord LX-i 5 speed... the car was originally an automatic b4 I got it but was converted over to 5speed, could they of forgotten 2 take the vss out or do 5speeds have em as well... where is it located extactly and how do I fix the damn thing... I have found a few threads about it, and It got me now where... If anyone has any info or anything that may or can help, please let me know... thanks guy's your help is greatlt appreciated.... Thanks Lataz.
    I will alwayz drive my 3rd gen Accord, ya'll will neva c me driving a 4 door Ford.. lol

Vehicle
    1986 honda accord lx (r.i.p) 1990 acura legend LS
    the speed sensor is located in the speedo cluster.
    ****** 1994 nissan maxima SE ******

Vehicle
    What exactly does the VSS look like behind the gauge cluster... and what can I do 2 possibly fix it? Thanks again 4 ur reply....
    I will alwayz drive my 3rd gen Accord, ya'll will neva c me driving a 4 door Ford.. lol

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

which gauge cluster do you have.

Nippon Seiki or Nippon Denso
    Phil

Vehicle
    it's like a wire around the speedo needle, it's yellow i belive.

Vehicle
    2010 Ford Taurus SEL, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Vehicle
    could it also have anything to do with the Cruise Control not functioning?? Well on the passengers side front tire underneith the car... there is a rubber boot which has a little rubber hose that supposed to connect to it.... but in my case the boot is torn and the rubber house is just dangling there which I believe has to do with the power steering... could that have anything to do with the code 17 (VSS)??? Also accordlxi2.0 the yellow wire that you have described, if that is a wire for the VSS what should I look 4 and what could I do 2 fix it? Thanks... I'm just trying to get to the bottom of it.. Lataz.

Vehicle
    when . . . . ..hold up homey does your speedometer indicate speed at all???

Vehicle
    Yeah Itz telling me how fast I'm going and sh** like that but I keep getting that Code 17 from the ecu which is VSS... could it be because b4 I had the car the previous owner said it was an auto and he converted it over to 5speed... cuz I know automatics have a VSS but do 5speeds have em, if not then it may just be a false code is that possible?

Vehicle
    yea the 5-spd has em too.
    so on the back of the cluster, in the back where the speedo cable goes, thier should be a wire; a yellow one, and some metal thingy, with a screw on it too.
    if you have a ohm meter you can test it, for continuity plus take like a pincil and turn the speedo cluster, it should vary . . . . .

as for that boot, it basically a round thing that sits abopve the diferentail, two hoses on the side (the p.s. speed sensor lines) and a hose on top (the speedo cable) . . . . . .

Vehicle
    So what your saying is that th (p.s. Speed sensor lines) and the hose on top (the speedo cable may be causing the problem.... and also I have looked at the back of the guage cluseter a few months ago to locate the VSS and If I'm not mistaking does the yellow wire go to this little white box thing in the back of the cluster? Thanks accordlxi2.0 ur info is greatly appreciated.

Vehicle
    yep! i belive thats it....
    why is it loose or something???
    i had wondered what that was for too.....(when i had my lx-i, my 86 lx did'nt really have it . . .)
    but as long as you are getting indication from the speedo it should'nt be any problems, and as long as you can turn the steering wheel easily while parking and if the wheel feels a bit heavy while on the highway, then thats fine too.
    and as long as your no leaking any fluids from thier, thast fine too.....

Vehicle
    Thanks accordlxi2.0 for your help Ima take a look tommorrow and see what I can do.... Is there anything I can do about the boot? couldn't I just replace the boot and just connect the rubber hose 2 the new boot? Thanks bro.

Vehicle
    yea or just cop that at the jukyard, i would'nt pay $10 for some boot.

Vehicle
    Aight accordlxi2.0 thanks for the info your da man..... Thanks Ima replace that boot asap... thanks bro 4 all ur help... as for the VSS behind the cluster I will inform you about the progress of that tommorrow. Lataz bro.

Vehicle
    no problem!

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    I know this is a very old topic but ever since I swaped to a 5-speed I've been getting the VSS code as well.... Don't understand it because the gauge reads the speed fine and I don't have any problem with the power steering but after like 10 minutes of driving the ECU throws the code....

DX User
    Vehicle
    2002 SE-R Spec V, 1989 Accord LXi Hatchback
    Reviving a dead thread....

Is there an actual, physical sensor behind the instrument cluster? I too am getting a code 17, but the speedo is reading fine.

Any info is appreciated.
    '02 SE-R Spec V
    '89 Accord LXi

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i
    it's IN the cluster. look in the shop manual. you can try replacing it, but it's cheaper and easier to just replace the whole cluster.
    Chris
    http://personalwebs.myriad.net/mouchyn/accordsig.jpg

DX User
    Vehicle
    Ok, so I'm confused a bit...

I gotcha that it's inside the cluster, i.e. in order to access it, I need to remove the cluster.

However, how can it be cheaper to replace the whole cluster, instead of just getting a single sensor?

Also, I cannot find it in the FSM i downloaded. I've looked everywhere...

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the dumb questions...
    '02 SE-R Spec V
    '89 Accord LXi

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i
    page 25-54 under "body electrical." you'll see a diagram with the speed sensor in dotted lines indicating it's physically inside the cluster.

i say it will be cheaper and easier to replace the cluster because, if you can even get that speed sensor from the dealer or parts store, it will cost as much as a working (used) cluster. Buying a used cluster will save you the hassle of having to open the cluster and potentially damaging the gauges. Those gauges are very sensitive and can easily be thrown off or broken.
    Chris
    http://personalwebs.myriad.net/mouchyn/accordsig.jpg

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    Yeah, he's right, you can usually find a working cluster from the junkyard that would only end up costing like $10..... Sounds like that's what I'm going to have to do....

DX User
    Vehicle
    Kind of what I thought you meant.

I'm gonna give a few places a call tday and see if I can't source a sensor first.

The thing of it is, this is an '89 Hatchback, but it only has 31,000 miles on the clock

It was my grandfather's car, and he rarely drove it. When he died, I bought it, and now my fiance drives it, so I'm not too keen to replace parts that might not necessarily need to be replaced.
    '02 SE-R Spec V
    '89 Accord LXi

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 LXI
    Damn!!! I don't blame you for trying to fix it yourself, with only 31 grand on the gauges it'll be hard to find a replacement cluster with anything close to that......

DX User
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by joker2
    Damn!!! I don't blame you for trying to fix it yourself, with only 31 grand on the gauges it'll be hard to find a replacement cluster with anything close to that......
    For real....

I just called another dealer, and they don't show the actual part listed as the "VSS".

Even sent me the part breakdown sheet. Is it possible it's called something else, like the signal amplifier?
    '02 SE-R Spec V
    '89 Accord LXi