Thread: Strange noises from front suspension

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA

Strange noises from front suspension

Hello all,

Problem #1:
    Ever since I got my Accord (about 3 years ago) the front end has been making strange popping noises when steering at low speed. Here are the conditions when this happens. Now this does not occur all the time, but rather when the car has been driven for a while, often at highway speeds. When moving really slow and trying to steer the response is not fluid and is accompanied by "pop" sounds. As if the rack is sticking. Once the car is moving faster than about 10mph the popping disappears and everything is normal again. The upper ball joints are new as well as the tie rod ends. I have inspected the lower balljoints and they don't have any play as well as having the boots in prestine condition. So with this said, I am left to blame the steering rack. Can old deteriorated fluid cause this type of condition? I have no idea when the fluid was changed (if at all) so it is probably very old. Has it simply lost its lubricating ability and is causing the rack to bind? All opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Problem #2:
    The front suspension also makes a rattling/rumbling noise when going over bumps. I noticed that this usually happens if only one front wheel hits the bump. The bushings in the lower arm are sagging a bit but don't look like they are worn to the point that would cause such noises. This leaves me to suspect the sway bar bushings. Has anyone encountered similar noises due to old swaybar bushings or other parts of the suspension. The balljoints and tie rods are ruled out already. BTW, the noise is heard inside the cabin, not outside, possibly because the swaybar bushings are attached close to the passenger compartment.

Any and all ideas on these problems are apprectiated.
    Thanks in advance.
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    I had a creaking noise during low speed (parking lot) driving that went away after I tightened the lower control arm mount bolt that was not as tight as it should've been. Check all the fasteners thoroughly and you may find something similar. Then I'd grease the anti-roll bar bushings and wait and see before bothering with anything else.

I doubt the fluid is the cause of your problem, but flushing it out is not a bad idea. You may want to wait until you have solved the problem so on the off chance that it is the rack you won't have wasted $15 filling it with good fluid.
    Mike

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 black accord LX-i 70 vw bug

Smile

My car had a popping noise when I would go though a corner. Mine turn out to be upper A arms. Try jacking up your car and push back and forth on the A arm or tire. Since you said the upper bushings were replaced could be the pin bolts have loosen.

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    Quote Originally Posted by dews89blkaccord
    My car had a popping noise when I would go though a corner. Mine turn out to be upper A arms. Try jacking up your car and push back and forth on the A arm or tire. Since you said the upper bushings were replaced could be the pin bolts have loosen.
    The entire upper arm assemblies are brand new including bushings. Everything is torqued to spec. I just went over the suspension again today and there is no slack anywhere. It has got to be the either the rack or the powersteering fluid. I guess its time for a flush.
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord Lxi Hatchback
    For problem 2 I would say it is the bushings, when I had my legend I had that noise as well so I replace them and it went away. If they are worn pretty bad you should be able to tell by looking at them.