Thread: emergency brake

89 Accord Se-I

emergency brake

my emergency brake sucks ass. i pull the shit and i mean it kinda stops the wheels but when its jacked up i can easily move them by hand, and the braks is pulled as hard as i can. the shit pisses me off cause i wanna do some doughnuts during this winter and i dont want some shitty ones, plus if my brakes fail for some reason ill be screwed

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i Hatchback
    Check your E-Brake cable...you might have "stretched" it. If not that....consisder new rear brakes
    www.geocities.com/geezpict/bumb

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    is the cable tight?
    - llia

Vehicle
    2005 Mazda 3
    PIFFFT reverse donuts man!!!! WOOT

ok jack up the car and have someone around to pressure on the brake pedal when you ask, leave the ebrake down and make sure the front wheels are blocked from rolling. set the auto to park and begin spinning the back wheel. have your assistant push the brake down a little. if there's a long delay for you to notice resistance you need to adjust the rear brakes. if it's quick then you need to adjust the ebrake cable instead *much easier*... take off the plastic cover on the rear of the center console *by the rear passengers' feet* and you'll see the ebrake cables, the equalizer and the adjusting nut. get a 14mm open whench and start turning counter clockwise untill you get the lever to go maybe 9 clicks before it's really tough to move more. make sure you don't overtighten or you will be driving with your rear brakes engaged. test your setting by making sure the wheels still spin freely after adjustment with the ebrake down.
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LXi
    i had that same problem my ebrake was really crappy and it came up really high when i pulled it up and it made a sqeaking noise when i used my brakes after i got them adjusted they didnt do it anymroe

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    try adjusting them. you should only hear like 4-5 clicks.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i 5 speed hatchback
    Culpeper, Va.- home, JMU (Harrisonburg, Va.)- school
    does that work on a car w/ drums too?
    "Eat, Drink, and be Merry!"

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    i have kinda the same problem. my e-brake isnt as good as it should be. this is basicly cuz the back brakes need to be changed. and in my case, i think i realy need new drums. thats what ive always seen when the e-brake isnt working right. oh, and another thing. if any place tells u to just resurface the drum, dont do it. just get a new one. i know a lot of people that have done that and had problems.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Mine goes up like 15 clicks. I should get out there and adjust that cable...