Thread: Headlight Switch

DX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lx-i Sedan (dead, to be scrapped), 97 Accord SE Coupe

Headlight Switch

Yesterday night, I had to drive about 15 miles into town after visiting a friend that lived out towards the end of civilization. I stopped at the local pizza shop to talk to a friend that worked there and to scrap the ice off of my windshield and headlights, as well as knock all the built up snow down from the body. I had shut the car off, did the ice/snow thing, talked to my friend, and went back to the car in about 5 minutes. After I started it, I noticed my headlights would not work. I had to follow a friend to my house in the dark. I could have used my brights by holding the switch in but I felt a bit more comfterble following someone.

I took the steering wheel off today and all that. Somehow, I managed to make the headlights work by screwing with that little block inside. I can turn the switch to on without them coming on. But if I switch to brights, they come on. Then I can switch back to normal lows.

I know that you are usually supposed to replace it, but that may not be a choice right now since the junkyards are covered in snow and i don't know if the person who sold it to me (my cousin) has that part in the steering column he is going to give to me. I am wondering if there is a way to at least temporarily clean it up. If there is, I would not know where to start.

Thanks!

-Kyle

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX 88 Accord LXi
    Yes you can clean up the contacts. You have to take it apart until you get to the copper contacts and clean them. It's not that hard. Just pay attention as you take it apart so you will know how to put it back together. A member did it awhile ago and posted some pictures.

Look here Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Mac; 11-05-2004 at 03:47 PM.

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i *** 2002 Mustang GT
    ive got a brand new AC Delco light switch if you want it. never been used
    "Seriously, I have a half o' pack of Rolaids in my dipper" -Stewie (Family Guy)

Car Pics
    vBGarage

DX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lx-i Sedan (dead, to be scrapped), 97 Accord SE Coupe
    I cleaned them up as well as I could and they come on. Somtimes they seem to lag a little but other than that they work great.

Thanks for all the help!

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX 88 Accord LXi
    All right, good job. Now that you know how to do it, the next time you are in a junk yard grab one and clean it up. Then you will have a spare.