Thread: manual transmission

DX User

manual transmission

My husband has a 1989 manual honda accord lx....It is stuck in high gear and cant get out. The transmission was very low on fluid and can not get it into neutral. It is like it is locked in gear.He had no previous problems before this occurred except earlier that day there was a low whining sound and as he was coming home he ran over a speed bump and it would not go into gear after that..Luckily he was only about a block from home. He says there is nothing wrong with the cv joints...He has another transmission but wants to know if there is anything else he could try........or should he buy a nickles worth of gas and burn it up..........LOL...........thanks Beck

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i *** 2002 Mustang GT
    its more than likely the clutch went out. try adjusting the clutch cable first though. but im guessing its the clutch. and fill the trany back up.
    "Seriously, I have a half o' pack of Rolaids in my dipper" -Stewie (Family Guy)

Car Pics
    vBGarage

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

Try rolling the car an inch or two foward and backward

If the the tranny was low on fluid it sounds like you have a dry gear and its binding up, if not strip a spline.
    But if you can wiggle it out of gear and fill her up she might be okay, but I'm not the tranny authority on this board.
    Even if its a bad gear depending on where you are located a junkyard tranny has a good chance of giving you more mileage on this beast. I know that I can go to a you pull a part yard and pull a tranny for $50. and these are eaasy to replace.
    But have someone in the car while someone pushes the car foward and backward to see if you can postion the gear to release .
    Good luck
    Phil

Vehicle
    85 accord (2x DCOE) 88 Nova (4AGZE + msII) 98 Jetta TDI
    These transmissions are notorious for destroying 5th gear. They have bad oiling of the gear as is and hearing it was run with low fluid I would assume the gear is shot. Though usually when that happens 1-4 will still work fine. I'd take the safe route and just put the spare transmission in, and a new clutch is a good idea while the transmissoin's out. Cover all your bases.

andy

DX User
    thks for all your replies....He did put the transmission fluid in but it did not help...He has a friend coming tomorrow so we shall see what he says..........thks again....Beck

if you push the clutch does it coast like neutral? If it does then it's the gear. If it is stuck then the clutch is probably not disengaging, but I dunno, low fluid and whining 5th is bad news
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau