Thread: distributor conversion questions

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i

distributor conversion questions

I've been searching around the forums for a few days now trying to get some questions answered. I've only come up with more questions. So, i'm gonna pull a newbie move and start a thread asking some basic questions about the accord. I'm a mod over at www.preludepower.com and know a lot about hondas and cars in general, so don't treat me like a retard. I'm asking these questions to get specific answers so I know what direction to head in.

Little bit of history. I have a bone-stock 1989 LX-i Hatchback 5 speed. I have three 3G preludes and a shitload of extra parts lying around for them. I also have a shitload of extra parts for 2nd gen integras.

I've read thread about different conversions you can do on the accord using OEM honda parts.

Is there a dizzy upgrade I can do to the stock a20a3 engine? I've been reading a lot about the 2nd gen prelude dizzy on the carbed accords, but that doesn't help me much. Can I upgrade to a vacuum advanced 2nd gen prelude dizzy? can i upgrade to a 3G electronic dizzy (with an ECU upgrade)?

I have about half a dozen different prelude and integra distributors lying around. I also have about a dozen extra ECUs lying around. I have tons of other parts, too. Alternators, AC compressors, PS pumps, sensors, manifolds, engine internals, etc...

I guess I'm asking you guys to sort of give me a list of those extra parts that i can put on the accord. I'm not looking for huge power gains. I'm just looking for simplification, really. Having all those vacuum lines and secondary butterflies and stuff is starting to drive me crazy.

I'm also interested in upgrading the alternator. I've read the threads about upgrading to the 4th gen accord alternator. That's a start, but i have a pretty beefy stereo setup and my lights dim like crazy. Are there any other, more powerful alternators that you guys have heard about? Aside from a $600 custom alternator, I'm very interested in upgrade the stock one.

Once i get all the OEM upgrades I can, I'll start on the usual mods. I/H/E, rear disc brake conversion, cam, cam gear, b series intake manifold, etc...

Thanks in advance.
    Chris
    Last edited by mouchyn; 11-15-2004 at 04:35 PM.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box
    where are you located? sounds like you have a lot of parts to mess around with...

i will tell you that you can switch the 3gee accord to OBD-1... a few guys here have done it, and seem to be saying that the upgrade is worth it...

one thing that i DO know is that the 2gee lude SI dizzy and ECU are the same parts as the accord ones, but i believe that the 3gee lude ones are different... might be onto something...

most of us guys just don't have the availability to parts that you say you have, and thus research and development for the 3gee accord is very limited...

it's cool that you have interest in our accords... maybe we can create an inter-board partnership for performance, and both sides benifit from time and energy put out by eachother... sounds like an idea to me... i know here in FL, the performance guys want to set up a pure performance 3gee accord club since 3geez seems to be mostly kids that just want a car that doesn't look old, whereas most of us just want fast...

if you are anywhere close, maybe we can meet up and see if we can come up with something... i have 2 accord parts car, and i'll be getting another 2 accord parts cars early next month... i plan on doing some R&D with them to see if we can come up with even more junkyard upgrades for the 3geez accord community

Derick

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i
    i'm in College Station, TX. Gig 'em Ags!

Ok, well... I guess i'll have to guess and check my way through some junk yard upgrades. If i can use the 3G prelude ECU and distributor, i would be happy. I think that coupled with a newer b series intake manifold upgrade would eliminate a lot of engine clutter and vacuum lines. I have several vaccum control boxes for the prelude and integra, so i'll do a little research and see what I can come up with.

Anyone know of any other honda AC condensors that fit in our car? I wanted to find one engineered for an R-134 system so when i rebuild the entire AC system this winter, i can use as many R-134 parts as i can. Hopefully that will help stabilize the AC's performance. It sucks that it blows at 38 degrees at night and 83 degrees during the day...

Vehicle
    '95 Supra, '08 CBR 600RR, '89 LX-i Coupe (R.I.P.), '88 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.), '87 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.)
    for the distributors, i'd say just try and put it on, see how it fits. for the alternator.., i got a 160(maybe 140) amp from mean green for about $400 i think..., it's not $600, but still expensive.
    Greg

1989 LX-i 2dr 5spd (R.I.P.)

2008 CBR 600RR -- 1995 Toyota Supra NA -- 2013 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x

Accord of the Year - 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mouchyn
    I've been searching around the forums for a few days now trying to get some questions answered. I've only come up with more questions. So, i'm gonna pull a newbie move and start a thread asking some basic questions about the accord. I'm a mod over at www.preludepower.com and know a lot about hondas and cars in general, so don't treat me like a retard. I'm asking these questions to get specific answers so I know what direction to head in.

Little bit of history. I have a bone-stock 1989 LX-i Hatchback 5 speed. I have three 3G preludes and a shitload of extra parts lying around for them. I also have a shitload of extra parts for 2nd gen integras.

I've read thread about different conversions you can do on the accord using OEM honda parts.

Is there a dizzy upgrade I can do to the stock a20a3 engine? I've been reading a lot about the 2nd gen prelude dizzy on the carbed accords, but that doesn't help me much. Can I upgrade to a vacuum advanced 2nd gen prelude dizzy? can i upgrade to a 3G electronic dizzy (with an ECU upgrade)?

I have about half a dozen different prelude and integra distributors lying around. I also have about a dozen extra ECUs lying around. I have tons of other parts, too. Alternators, AC compressors, PS pumps, sensors, manifolds, engine internals, etc...

I guess I'm asking you guys to sort of give me a list of those extra parts that i can put on the accord. I'm not looking for huge power gains. I'm just looking for simplification, really. Having all those vacuum lines and secondary butterflies and stuff is starting to drive me crazy.

I'm also interested in upgrading the alternator. I've read the threads about upgrading to the 4th gen accord alternator. That's a start, but i have a pretty beefy stereo setup and my lights dim like crazy. Are there any other, more powerful alternators that you guys have heard about? Aside from a $600 custom alternator, I'm very interested in upgrade the stock one.

Once i get all the OEM upgrades I can, I'll start on the usual mods. I/H/E, rear disc brake conversion, cam, cam gear, b series intake manifold, etc...

Thanks in advance.
    Chris
    Only distributor upgrade would require switching to a diff ecu to control it.

The b16 mani will help you get rid of some vacuum lines also. PLus the dual intake runner setup.

As far as the altenator The 94-95 Acura Legend will fit with modification to the top bracket. This perticualr altenator is still pricey. The lowest I found locally is 179 with exchange. Not bad really considering it puts out almost double the stock amperege. THe legend puts out 110 amps.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i
    that's probably what i'll do then. I think 110 amps should be a big enough upgrade for me. I don't mind paying the $179...

so, you think the electronic 3G dizzy will bolt on and work properly if i switch to the 3G prelude PK2 ECU?

Accord of the Year - 2006

that's probably what i'll do then. I think 110 amps should be a big enough upgrade for me. I don't mind paying the $179...

so, you think the electronic 3G dizzy will bolt on and work properly if i switch to the 3G prelude PK2 ECU?

bolt up ...no

you can make anything fit if you really want though.

switching over an realy be a project though

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i
    i'll play with it tomorrow. I just read over a thread about the 4G dizzy conversion. It looks like one custom bracket was needed. If it's something relatively easy to bolt on the prelude dizzy, i'll do it. I'll also use an external coil and ignitor. Hopefully that will smooth out the powerband in the a20. It's wicked spiked, now.

my car will basically bog until about 4000 rpm and just take off. it needs a full tune up, and there's some kind of vacuum problem. if you're interested in helping me with this, check the thread i'm about to create

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    i'll play with it tomorrow. I just read over a thread about the 4G dizzy conversion. It looks like one custom bracket was needed. If it's something relatively easy to bolt on the prelude dizzy, i'll do it. I'll also use an external coil and ignitor. Hopefully that will smooth out the powerband in the a20. It's wicked spiked, now.

my car will basically bog until about 4000 rpm and just take off. it needs a full tune up, and there's some kind of vacuum problem. if you're interested in helping me with this, check the thread i'm about to create
    yea that sounds like the 2nd butterfly valves. You can just remove the vacum line that goes to the selonid and it will keep them open. I'm also working on the OBD-1 swap, I allmost have it done, just haven't had time to finish it.............
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Did you read this thread? https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=63
    It lists a few of the parts that can be swapped... I haven't updated it in a while though.
    - llia