Thread: Timing belt?

DX User

Timing belt?

First post here, looks like a nice forum1

Does anyone know when to change the timing belt km wise? I just bought an 89 Accord Ex 4 door, the previous owner changed the belt @ 100 000 km and it has 219 now. is it time for a new t-belt and how much are they?

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    timing belt should be changed every 65,000-75,000 miles, can't remember exact number. over all you don't have to worry about it for another 100,000km.
    Alex.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX 88 Accord LXi
    Shouldn't he should be close to changing it. It has about 120,000 km since it was last changed. Honda sells timing belts for about $30.

Vehicle
    1986 lxi 4 handle, 77 gmc 4x4, 97 astro van on 18's,98 Honda Shadow Aero 1100
    I would replace it anyway. When I bought my lxi, that was the first thing I did. And at 240,000 thousand or so miles on my car, I want to be sure it's got a belt that I KNOW is good.
    Small price for peace of mind if you ask me!
    http://members.cardomain.com/3gn86lxi
    ~Ryan~
    Custom STEEL z3 fenders, and true HID

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan
    Replace the belt at 60,000 miles. Is what book says, but if you can't get a confirmation on the last timing belt, change it out better safe than sorry.
    Phil

DX User
    How much does it cost to install it? roughly

Vehicle
    1986 lxi 4 handle, 77 gmc 4x4, 97 astro van on 18's,98 Honda Shadow Aero 1100
    Depends on the shop. Try to find a reputable import shop and get a quote. My brother in law is a mechanic and he charged me $75 to do the belt, change the crank seal, and the cam seal, all in one shot. I think in a shop it would be around $150?? Not sure though.
    http://members.cardomain.com/3gn86lxi
    ~Ryan~
    Custom STEEL z3 fenders, and true HID

DX User
    Quote Originally Posted by MoDawG
    How much does it cost to install it? roughly
    Well the shortest time Ive ever done one was 6 hours. Most shops charger around here charge 60 bucks an hour. 360 bucks??? Thats just an estimate. Might be less...might be more.

Vehicle
    rollin on foot...
    u should also check da belt tensioner just to make sure its still good ,i would change da belt to prevent any future problems , but thats just my opinion!! good luck

Vehicle
    '87 Carbed Hatch(RIP), 88 FI sedan w/ power group, '73 Jag w/ 350lump
    Do the belt ASAP
    Its not that bad of a job; Honda makes it pretty hard to screw up. The main things you really have to have are a Haynes manual or e-version(its in this thread. download it from pauls site: https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=25137 ), a floor jack, a good socket set and a torque wrench. I've done two on my accords so far and the second one was less than an hour.
    I found the hardest parts to be getting the belt back on (the 1st time I did it) and the damned crankpulley bolt, which has to have 80something ft/lbs of torque on it.
    IF your handy with tools and have a manual to fall back on its not very hard. If you're not up to it take it to a good shop where you know you won't get screwed.
    Use the search engine to find out how some of the others have done with theirs
    -Good Luck!
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard;
    And the stupid people are breeding......

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluebead