Thread: All sorts of questions....

LX User

All sorts of questions....

SO here goes.

A20A1 is the engine in an '88 Accord, LX, 5 spd 2bbl carb, right? And the A20A3 is the fuel injected version?

Now, I can get a Holley 5200 from work for $125. My understanding, is that the Holley 5200 is nothing more than a Weber 32/36 with a Holley sticker. For $125 new, I'm not complaining. Is the 32/36 any sort of upgrade over the stock Keihin (with a busted power valve, I might add)?

I'm looking for another motor/tranny, to rebuild, and put into my '88 Accord. That said, is the A20A1 the only motor that bolts right into place, or with minimal fabrication?

Are the heads on the Carb and EFI versions the same? Are all the heads 12valve, or are some 8 and some 12? Which head is better to work on, from a power point of view? Are there any DOHC heads that will bolt to the block, and will use a vacuum advanced distributor?

The 5 speed in my '88... What designation is it? What other cars, or other 5 speeds, will bolt to the A20A1 block?

I plan on staying carb'd, mearly to rip out any and all emissions I find. I've already removed all the vacuum hoses, but I plan on going further, and removing the EGR and everything. I just want a carb on top, with an electric choke. Florida has no emissions testing.

Now, with all that said, what are the stock specs of the camshaft? For a 2.0L 4cyl motor, 2300-6500 rpm usage, something around 208/208 @ .050, with around .490-.510" lift will suffice. Or do these Hondas prefer more cam?

I apologize for the barrage of questions - but I'm new to these Hondas... I've got a '81 Trans Am with a 400/6x-4 214/224 in it right now, and a '88 Camaro 2.8L that I've stroked to a 3.1 and put a turbocharger into, but I'm new to Hondas - my understanding is there is a LOT of swapping of parts amongst them.

What's the stock compression ratio, as well?

Also, How well will a Weber downdraft 32/36 stand up to about 7psi blow through turbo?

Thanks all!

you can find moast if not all of ur questions answers here

https://www.3geez.com/search.php?

uhhhh

Vehicle
    90 civic hb R.I.P. , 2002 EBP EM2<<figure it out..its not that hard
    first off the only engine that wil swap in with little to no modification is the jdm b20.(do a search youll see). nobody has found a head that is a direct bolt to the block. they all involve blocking and making new water ports. you also said that you removed all the vaccum lines. bad idea. see honda motors thrive on vaccum. its not like an american car where you can take everything out except two wires and it will run. no no no. see if you remove a vaccum line then your engine will run like shit. belive me ive tried it. it tries to suck air and your revs will get up there even if the butterfly is closed. its best to leave the vaccum system alone. as for turbo. i know that a fuel injected accord can handle it but im not to sure about a carb. besides if you do run turbo you have to deliver a little extra fuel to handle the extra air. im not sure a carb can do that but i dont know. i havent heard of a carbed 3gee having turbo but i could be wrong. everyone has always said change it over to efi. someone correct me if im wrong but im not sure. anyways welcome to 3 geez and to the honda world.
    b u n n y · t y p e R
    "the bunny liked the go-faster stripes... but wasn't too keen on the rear spoiler and ridiculous bodykit"

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i
    A20A1, A20A3 and JDM B20(not from CRV) are the only blocks that bolt in. All A series motors are 12 valve SOHC. The only difference in heads between A1 and A3 is A1 has slightly larger exhaust valve(I think) and the A3 has slightly higher compression. As for cam work, talk to Delta or Colt. Delta quoted me $65 regrin on stock cam, plus shipping. Thats their mild 272 cam. Oh, and I have a spare A20 I need to get rid of. If intersted, PM me, cause I have a low mileage Japanese import A20A1, or my A20A3 in my car now(HIGH MILES) and I need to get rid of one. I don;t think there are any other tranny's that will fit our blocks, however there is some hybrid A20/prelude(or maybe Integra) tranny that people have built.
    "Without high school drop-outs,
    some guys would starve"

Easy Money

LX User
    As far as the vacuum goes, it's running better now, without all the extra junk hooked up. It's still not wanting to idle correctly, and I'm sure it's because one of the nipples on the 'thermo thing' on the intake is busted, and leaking. Yeah, the only vacuum I want, is what's going through the carb. I think with a stronger vacuum signal, it'll idle better.

As for the turbo blow through idea, I've got a spare 16G I'm thinking of tossing on there, with 7psi external wastegate. Why not? Richen up the secondary jetting a little

Buds302, yeah, if you introduce a vacuum leak, it does run worse, I've seen that. I plan on capping off everything.

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i *** 2002 Mustang GT
    hahaha, noobs are funny
    "Seriously, I have a half o' pack of Rolaids in my dipper" -Stewie (Family Guy)

Car Pics
    vBGarage

LX User
    hahaha... thank you for that most insightful post.

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by 895spdforfree
    you can find moast if not all of ur questions answers here

https://www.3geez.com/search.php?

actually this was the most "insightful" post, no hard feelings.

PS- Kick ass on the boosted/strocked camero! got any pics?
    Last edited by 86LXItooFAST4me; 11-21-2004 at 12:11 PM.

Car Pics
    vBGarage

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by Doward
    As far as the vacuum goes, it's running better now, without all the extra junk hooked up. It's still not wanting to idle correctly, and I'm sure it's because one of the nipples on the 'thermo thing' on the intake is busted, and leaking. Yeah, the only vacuum I want, is what's going through the carb. I think with a stronger vacuum signal, it'll idle better.

As for the turbo blow through idea, I've got a spare 16G I'm thinking of tossing on there, with 7psi external wastegate. Why not? Richen up the secondary jetting a little

Buds302, yeah, if you introduce a vacuum leak, it does run worse, I've seen that. I plan on capping off everything.
    ok about the turbo. if you find a manifold or know someone that makes them for a reasonable price then let us know. otherwise you cant get one for a turbo. unless you change engines then your talkin $$$$$$$.oh yeah the only vaccum that isnt on the carb is the ones for the distributor and removing them will mess with your timing. and the vaccum keeps everything straight in there. if you want to run really really rich and have shitty mileage then go ahead no ones stoppin you. and the idle prob is cause of the vaccum. man your lucky you dont have a computer in there or else itll throw almost every fuel and air code it can find at you.then youll wanna do this: !
    b u n n y · t y p e R
    "the bunny liked the go-faster stripes... but wasn't too keen on the rear spoiler and ridiculous bodykit"

LX User
    LOL, yes, I'm still searching through the archives, digging up info. The JDM B20 sounds like it'd be a fun motor to do this all to..

Turbo manifold? What's that? I'll build my own turbo header, no problem. The exhaust is easy enough to get to!

Pics of the turbo 2.8L? Here ya go -

15.015 @ 94.16mph - 2.559 60', 9.847 1/8th @ 75.63 mph
    15.402 @ 98.37mph - 3.150 60', 10.373 1/8th @ 77.44 mph (best and fastest times, so far)

Yes, I completely built everything there (except the turbo, although I did HIGHLY modify it!) by hand, from pretty much scratch.

Now the Accord's going to go under the knife.

Vehicle
    ok i stand corrected. thank you now if you can do it then i would reccomend selling extra manifolds on this site. i would buy one if you would sell me one. what kind of manifold are you gonna build?
    b u n n y · t y p e R

LX User
    Well, I'm thinking a 4 into 1 tubular. 1/2" thick flange + 14 or 16 gauge tubing - The turbo WILL have a brace for extra support, and to prevent cracking. I might build a few, who knows?

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    There is a how-to on all this.

https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=11067

As for adapting other carbs, it's possible

https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37554

. The compression Ratio of the (CARB) A20A1 and A2 pistons are 9.1:1
    . The compression Ratio of the (EFI) A20A3 and A4 pistons are 9.3:1
    . They are all 12 valve

Also if you wanted to go the weber route... https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=38161
    Last edited by A20A1; 11-21-2004 at 09:36 PM.
    - llia

Vehicle
    hey is that "save the last dance" ??

anyway, v6+stroked+turbo+intercooler and only 15 sec 1/4s???
    whats tha scoop?

Car Pics
    vBGarage

LX User
    tha 'scoop' = 3.15 60 times. Didn't you read it?

1st and 2nd gear are completely useless. Nail it, and the boost simply destroys the back tire. LCAs + HD ZT diff are going into it soon. I've since re-adjusted the timing, killing some of the power, so I can actually use 1st and 2nd. I might be back at the track again Wednesday.

LX User
    Oh yeah, that is save the last dance - I'm married. The woman's got some of her own movies! LOL But hey, she lets me keep my spare WC T5 in the living room, and my spoiler hanging on the wall over the enterainment center. So I'm keeping her.