Thread: Stalling Out

Vehicle
    88 LX 5-speed Sedan

Stalling Out

For the last few weeks I've been trying to fix this stalling problem. I've owned this 88 LX carbed 5-speed with 145K miles since it was new, and I want to keep it forever.

The car starts and runs as normal, except lately it intermittently stalls out at idle. Not the best situation in stop and go traffic! It always restarts, and will run if the idle is held over 1000 RPM. If I let it idle, it will eventually stall out.

I looked for the obvious vacuum leak problems and replaced one of the vacuum valves that was bad. (Frequency Solenoid Valve B)
    I have lately replaced the PCV valve, and just checked it again.
    I just cleaned and checked the EGR valve and reinstalled it with a new gasket
    I have recently replaced both fuel filters and today replaced the fuel pump. The gas tank was clean inside.
    I just adjusted the fuel level in the float bowl, after pulling the carb top and checking that the bowl looked clean.

What else could the problem be???
    Nothin' extra

Vehicle
    86 Accord LX, carb, AT
    When I had this prob., I removed carb top, and removed idle jet - emulsion tube and sprayed a lot of cleaner into that hole. I would say that is the most likely place where an idle passage blockage could occur!
    Also remove and plug (one by one) every manifold vacuum port. This engine needs only #2 to dizzy to run. ..and start with big vacuum suckers: brake booster, EGR and PCV, leaks around manifold...
    Good luck and keep us posted what u find!

Vehicle
    88 LX 5-speed Sedan

Stalling Out - Solved!!!

An update on this problem, and its solution...

Turns out it was the primary fuel mixture cut-off solenoid valve on the carb. Since it is only supplied with one positive voltage wire, it gets ground from its attachment to the carb. I figured it out when I removed it and covered the hole in the carb with tape. The car did not stall when the valve was not installed. I scratched up the mounting surfaces with sandpaper and all is well. The solenoid valve itself is fine.

I did replace a bunch of vacuum lines and cleaned the distributor. The carb has never been cleaner. In the process, I learned a lot more about this car.
    Nothin' extra