Thread: 87 accord carb performance

DX User

87 accord carb performance

i just got my first import and want to do some performance mods. i got a 87 accord carb with 5spd 4 door. what mods can i do and where can i get the parts. also i really would like to get efi. should i convert or swap engine? ive been looking all over this forum but just getting confused at all the engine numbers. just wanna know where to get parts and if i swap what engine should i get. it still needs to be my daily driver. thanks and im still gonna keep searching.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    05 Legacy GT 87/accord/lx (rip)

You could get a civic adapter to run a cai on your carb: https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=38108 (post #2)

If you do the efi swap, you'll add 12 ponies to your car if you don't do any other upgrades. You can swap an a20a3 engine with low miles if you want the highest performance 3g bock, which will give you 122hp vs your 98. If you want more power, than b20a is the way to go. It fits right in, but like with every engine swap, there's still lots of work involved.

But if you just want more power without doing much work, either do the efi swap or get a weber carb, add a CAI, header, high-flow cat, and 2.25" catback... Then get a performance cam, upgrade your fuel pump and the igintion system... If you do the efi swap you have better future upgrade options, like injectors and n2o/turbo... But bolt-ons I just described are the easy way to get some extra ponies. With the mods that I've done, I probably gained around 8 hp on my carb...

But good luck with your ride. .

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Bucket
    yah efi sounds like a good idea for other mods in the future, not sure if it will give you 12 exactly without bigger cc injectors, but hey, it'll get you started. and also use the search, there's been numerous threads about "quick ponies for my carb accord" and watnot. soo ya, just fyi, the search will give you some ideas.

as for engine swap, the only ones that drop in without much hassel is another a20a1 or an a20a3, or the jdm b20a for the accord, there are other b20a's that will NOT fit because they're lude ones. as for any other bseries, ie b18's or b16's or b20's and anyother combo of those codes, don't even think about it unless you have tons of money to throw away and lots of time to waste and a brain that is effecient in customization.
    Last edited by 88accordhb; 12-12-2004 at 12:22 AM.
    3geez for life.

DX User
    appreciate the suggestions. ill probably stick with the carb for now and just do a few mods to it. but when my money becomes more available im gonna convert. again thanks