Thread: Transaxel problems, i need help!

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord dx

Transaxel problems, i need help!

ok, so here is the scenario. my passengerside axel broke yesterday, so i put a new one in. now before it broke, there was really hard shuttering and bad torque pull to the right with acceleration (especially hard and in low gears). with the new axel in, there is still the exact same problem just not as severe. does anybody know what could cause this? and possibly offer some suggestions for problems to look for. thanks alot. -danny
    no

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX
    stuck posi??? not sure, but something related to that i assume.

Vehicle
    2004 Pilot EXL-NAV, 2010 Acura TL, 2013 Accord Coupe V6 Nav/Sat
    Are your wheel beerings good? Do you have a frozen brake cylinder on that side?

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord dx
    first thanks for your responses. the wheel bearings could possibly be it, but how do i check that without taking off the whole knuckle? and can you give me a litle more information on what could be wrong with the posi. and the brake is not frozen.
    no

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    posi? you mean differential, because the 3gee doesnt have a posi one. not yours anyway. i would think the it could possibley be something to do with the bearing, but i would more likely think the transmission itself is the problem. i'd try replacement of the bearing first, i'f i remember correctly, you have to take the axle back off.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    2004 Pilot EXL-NAV, 2010 Acura TL, 2013 Accord Coupe V6 Nav/Sat
    To test the wheel bearings you could raise both front wheels off the ground and put the trans in neutral. Then rotate the wheels to see if they are easy to spin. You may hear grinding if the wheel bearing is the problem.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX
    lol sorry it was late for me, couldnt think straight. yeah i meant the differential lol.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    OMG i saw this thread and i first read it as TRANSEXUAL problem.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    are you sure that when you put the axle in you made sure that it went in all the way? because you said it's pushing to the right that would make me think that the right side axle could be not engaging all the way (the teeth on the axle and trans or other end of axle) and the left side of the car is doing all the work to move it therefore pushing right. did you make sure the axle clicked all the way in when you put it in? what can happen is that the CV joints flex and compress and fold up just from their design and the axle can seem like it's in when really it just got shorter at a joint. checking that would probably require taking it off an reinstalling it.
    -Grant. I'm just a pirate chasing booty.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1990 Honda Accord Ex 5spd.
    also were did the axel brake? (inner or outer boot)

second the bearing is pressed in. so you'll have to devise a way to get a 2+ ton jack and some thing to hold the bearing so that when you push on the bearing it pops out. I tried like crazy to get the bearing out by beating it with a 20lbs sledge. barely moved. also there is a distinctive sound that the bearing makes when it goes bad.
    "If you were paying attention DANIEL you'd know the Nintendo's pass threw everything!"
    - Col Jack O'Neal - Stargate sg-1.

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord dx
    well, its not the wheel bearing or anything to do with the brake disc(found that out the hard way). i did not fully remove and reinstall the axel because i didnt want to have to refill the transmission again, but i did check it and it is in all the way. so my next two options are a broken mount(s) or possibly the new axel itself is defective. my question then is could either of these cause it? im gunna check the mounts tomarrow-its too dark now. and the outer CV joint broke-closest to the wheel. thanks again.
    no

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    If you can raise the entire front end off of the ground, start the engine and put it in first gear at idle (or drive for auto). Get under the car and listen for any grinding noises and such. Also, with the tranny in gear and engine off spin one wheel and see if the other spins in the opposite direction. You also shouldn't feel very little to no resistance while spinning the wheel. Just my $.02
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda accord dx
    well i went and bought a different axel and put it in and it fixxed everything-so if anyone else ever has the same symptoms, it the outer cv joint thats bad. thanks again for your help.
    no