Thread: 32/36 DGEV + ES2 + Factory Air Conditioning Question

Vehicle
    1984 Accord Sedan

32/36 DGEV + ES2 + Factory Air Conditioning Question

On my '84, when the AC compressor kicks in, there is a system that bumps up the idle at the 3 BBL stock carb to offset the load from the AC compressor. When you convert to the Weber carb, is it necessary to be concerned about not having that feature, or has anyone noticed the lack of the rpm bump?

2ndGenGuy

Re: 32/36 DGEV + ES2 + Factory Air Conditioning Question

There is definitely an RPM drop. But it doesn't seem to be a big deal. PhydeauX mentioned that there is a solenoid you can buy for Weber carbs that will replicate the factory one and kick the idle up just a touch. I've found the website that might have one before, but long since lost it... I still try to find it to this day. I run with my A/C on quite a bit though, I barely notice the idle drop.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

You could with a little filing and riveting, maybe even a little bending, retrofit the solenoid to your throttle linkage somehow. I personally wouldn't worry about it.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

2ndGenGuy

Problem is that the factory system is some sort of crazy vacuum operated deal. I don't think there's any kind of linkage that you could use. You be better off building something from scratch. But yeah, don't worry about it.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

Of course, Honda made the idle boost some advanced complex deal not meant for reverse engineering and a Weber swap. You could turn the idle up slightly in the summer months or just try to get a happy medium year round. Not sure how to tell you to retrofit an idle boost using the OEM parts or another route. Good luck and welcome to the world of Honda engineering!

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy
    Problem is that the factory system is some sort of crazy vacuum operated deal. I don't think there's any kind of linkage that you could use. You be better off building something from scratch. But yeah, don't worry about it.
    Really!

Why the fuck didn't honda use a simple short-throw electric solenoid that pushes open the throttle a set amount when the AC turns on? Why why why?
    Goddamnit
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    1984 Accord Sedan

If I were to find said solenoid on any yard car, it would take a little bit of bracketology to merge the pusher with the throttle lever...

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by Boltgunner
    If I were to find said solenoid on any yard car, it would take a little bit of bracketology to merge the pusher with the throttle lever...
    ... and there you have the answer to the sixty four thousand dollar question

just protect the circuit if you jump off of the compressor feed wire.

2ndGenGuy

Sounds like a good plan to me. I may give that a shot myself. Might take some intricate knowledge of said car to actually find this solenoid.

Vehicle

one would think it is directly mounted to the throttle linkage. But knowing honda, it was probably a valve mounted inline with the throttle opener diaphragm, it allows vacuum to be transmitted when provided with power to slightly open the secondary, or something horribly stupid like that.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy
    Sounds like a good plan to me. I may give that a shot myself. Might take some intricate knowledge of said car to actually find this solenoid.
    One may look into aftermarket oem replacement solenoids for vehicles with motorcraft or holley 5200 series. A lot of carbs used a 'anti dieseling ' solenoid that does the same thing but backwards though so make sure you get one that is extended energized and not retracted energized.