Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Head light replacement

LXi User

Head light replacement

Hey you guys! I am sure that you have heard of the new SilverStar headlights. If you haven't it's basically as close to HID without actually buying an HID conversion. Anyways I was talking to the guys at autozone and they said that for my accord you have to replace the whole unit! Is this true or can you just replace the bulb? Any help would be great!
    For Sale:
    T3/T4 Turbo, wastegate, and BOV
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Port & Polished, 5-angle valve job, bowl and swirl job, Head -$1000 invested in machining alone

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

Vehicle
    92 EG6 SiRII
    i seen those but i dunno for that price if they are gunna be the icey blue look i like
    89 accord lxi - Blown head/towed away forever! I MISS YOU!
    91 Civic Hatch - Gone
    92 Civic Hatch - The Daily Driver

Vehicle
    Traded in: 1988 Accord LX New car: 04 Jetta GLI
    if your talking about the whole piece, as in like all the glass part and everything behind it, then yes you change it out because its a sealed beam. The only way you wouldnt change it out would be if you had the diamond cut ones from ebay, those take the actual bulbs.
    Kevin

Vehicle
    92 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD
    Yeah, you can get sealed beam Sylvania Silverstars, they're $20 a piece here at our autozone. If you get eh H4 conversion, then you can just buy the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, which is still like $15 a bulb i think.

Vehicle
    Traded in: 1988 Accord LX New car: 04 Jetta GLI
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdog
    If you get eh H4 conversion, then you can just buy the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, which is still like $15 a bulb i think.
    yeah but remember, if you plan on doing this you need to get the housing too, your not going to be able to put those on your stock sealed beam or anything.
    Kevin

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    i dont know why, but i still feel like it is false advertisement to say its anything similar to an HID system. as close or not, well its not. i tried them out and was unimpressed. its just that for $20 a bulb, i'd expect a brighter light than the GE super blue bulbs i used before that. anyway, they do look great when your looking at them on the car.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    '87 Carbed Hatch(RIP), 88 FI sedan w/ power group, '73 Jag w/ 350lump
    Yeah, Sealed beams, the H5064 series headlight(4x7 inches), are what you need to buy unless you are willing to buy these and do a conversion (they're the diamondback HID type)

Off of ebay or some tuner shop (they're cheaper on ebay)
    I've been thinking about the conversion, but it will have to wait until I'm working again
    If you want an improvement over the stock type halogens and don't want to mess around with an HID conversion I'd go with the Silverstars... they're not the best option, but they are a decent improvement over stock and not that much more than the stock lights. You can always try them and do the HIDs later if you're still not happy. I think thats the route I'll be following this spring.
    Good luck either way!
    Last edited by BlueBead; 01-23-2005 at 11:35 PM.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard;
    And the stupid people are breeding......

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluebead

LXi User
    Thanks you guys! One of my friends bought the bulb type for his car and they looked a lot better then stock, in my opinion. I just don't know for the price of HID if I want to do it. If any one has done it about how much does it cost? I remember reading a super street about a year ago and saw an add for bulbs and a switch thing and it was like $200 which is wwaaaaaaayyyyy out of my price range!
    For Sale:
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Port & Polished, 5-angle valve job, bowl and swirl job, Head -$1000 invested in machining alone

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

Vehicle
    1996 Saab 900SET
    i was impressed with the sealed beam Silverstars when i had them on my 3g, the light was a lot whiter that stock, and lit up the road better

LXi User
    HeyBDaccordguy, where did you get your wheels from? I need some 18' but, they need to be cheap. Like in the $300 range. They can be a little more but, they have to come with tires if they are. Until I started working I just never realized how expensive they were.
    For Sale:
    P75 ECU
    Untouched Head

Misc.
    DDR Pad and DDR Extreme
    PS1
    NES
    Needed:
    Dremel
    Money

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by w00tw00t111
    HeyBDaccordguy, where did you get your wheels from? I need some 18' but, they need to be cheap. Like in the $300 range. They can be a little more but, they have to come with tires if they are. Until I started working I just never realized how expensive they were.
    A set of 4 18's for under 300? I hope your thinking used.

Vehicle
    88' Accord LXI
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBead
    Yeah, Sealed beams, the H5064 series headlight(4x7 inches), are what you need to buy unless you are willing to buy these and do a conversion (they're the diamondback HID type)

Off of ebay or some tuner shop (they're cheaper on ebay)
    I've been thinking about the conversion, but it will have to wait until I'm working again
    If you want an improvement over the stock type halogens and don't want to mess around with an HID conversion I'd go with the Silverstars... they're not the best option, but they are a decent improvement over stock and not that much more than the stock lights. You can always try them and do the HIDs later if you're still not happy. I think thats the route I'll be following this spring.
    Good luck either way!
    Are those the Silverstars that everyone has been talking ABout? If not are there any pictures of them?

Vehicle
    87LX / 86LXiHB / 90CRXSi(b16a) all gone... 91CRXSi(b16a) ...round two
    silver stars would relpace the bulbs... the housing would look like that depending on the kit you buy. my housing cost like $30 and the silverstar bulbs were $20 a piece... that housing looks better than mine, i just got the Pilot kit from autozone...
    garagement racing

stlhondas.com

Vehicle
    1996 Saab 900SET
    Those wheels came with my car, and they were actually silver not black. Thats a slightly photoshopped picture. As for the brand they were Konig Reign 16" wheels. They used to be for sale on www.discounttire.com i think, but they are an "exclusive" Konig wheel or something so they may not make em anymore. Yea, if you are looking to find wheels that cheap, you may want to look on ebay. The cheapest other place to get wheel/tire combos would be like www.wheelmax.com or www.wheelguyz.com .

Vehicle
    92 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattphi
    Are those the Silverstars that everyone has been talking ABout? If not are there any pictures of them?
    No, the silverstar sealed beams look like pretty much like normal sealed beams, but have the silverstar bulb in them. Those are the H4 conversion housings, and then you could get H4 silverstar bulbs to go in those.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    first thing first, Silverstart light bulbs suck. they claim to be the brightest on the market, but they are not. they are better light bulbs out there. Silverstar is 50 state / Canada legal bulbs that puts out brighter light around 4000K light output. That is not a lot brighter than standard halogen light bulb 3200-3500Kelvin output.
    If you want something close to HID this is what you need Raybrig White Sonic http://store.racinglab.com/raywhitsonh4.html
    Even the brightest PIAA bulbs don't come even close to Raybrig. Yeah they are expensive, but they are worth every single penny, trust me. I had my bulbs for about 1.5 years now.

second, If you do decide to do with H4 conversion, you need to find a housing that doesn't have daylight bulb in it. Most of the ones on ebay have daylight bulbs in them and that can cause major moisture problems. I went through 3 different housing. They are had day light in them. They were cheap, and I didn't want to spend big money of good stuff. All 3 pairs leaked or had moisture in them. I tried to seal them, but that didn't help. So i just got H4 conversion without daylight, and I haven't had a problem. the total cost for just the housing $60 from ebay. I searched for a long time to find those. Plus Raybrig bulbs and I have very close HID lights on my car. I even compared them with true HID and they are just a tid bit darker.

I am not telling you to go with what i have. I am just telling you that "you get what you pay for". Silverstar may be nice, but they are too dark for me. I am addicted to HID look. oh and real HID conversion will cost you way more than $200. It would be about $600 for bulbs and two units. As Paul from russia, he has them on his car.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    93 civic
    i agree with Alex. Nuff said.

I dont have the heart to spend 90bucks on Raybrigs.. I wish I live closer to Alex to see the look first before getting a set.

I paid 20bucks for my silverstars and 10bucks for the housings...total 30bucks for housings that is still far brighter than my stock sealed beams..so I still say it was worth it for my price. Rarely leaks...so its all G for me..at least for now. I don't need too much for lighting as I got foglights to help me out there.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Bucket
    uhh yah i would get thems there lights but my car is sooo gay, i'm not even gonna bother.
    3geez for life.

Vehicle
    89' Accord LXI
    $90 is a little much for lights when you can't see them on, if i could see them on i might buy them if thay were blinding on the high beams

Vehicle
    '87 Carbed Hatch(RIP), 88 FI sedan w/ power group, '73 Jag w/ 350lump
    Damn.. I didn't know about the leaking!
    I think I'll stick with sealed beam silverstars as my choice
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard;
    And the stupid people are breeding......

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluebead

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX
    I have the sealed beam silverstars and I really like them.

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX
    I got eurolite projector housings and Silverstar bulbs, they work pretty well, but get so damn dirty all the time from the roads here lately, i have to wash them like every day... Thats one thing i hate about our cars.

Vehicle
    03 Civic, Yamaha R6, CBR 600
    Just do an HID conversion if you want some kick ass lights. There is no substitute. Silverstars just look like a normal halogen imo. Trust me, its a word of difference from some fakey colored blue HID knockoffs (dont worry, im guilty also.) I had an H4 conversion on my LX-I.

Vehicle
    03 Civic, Yamaha R6, CBR 600
    Thanks you guys! One of my friends bought the bulb type for his car and they looked a lot better then stock, in my opinion. I just don't know for the price of HID if I want to do it. If any one has done it about how much does it cost? I remember reading a super street about a year ago and saw an add for bulbs and a switch thing and it was like $200 which is wwaaaaaaayyyyy out of my price range!
    You can get a kit for 300 shipped off of ebay. If you are considering this you can pm me and I will help you. Most kits come with glareshields, upgraded fuses, and a wiring harness so you dont burn your stock harness when the HIDs start burning, they suck some major juice on startup.

LX User
    Vehicle
    lxi 88
    those sliver star bulbs are a bad idea, as for the Raybrig White Sonic ive never herd of them or know anyone with them so i have no idea the quality, but i have the H4 Conversion Headlights ION BLUE w/PIAA H4 9003 Plasma Blue bulbs and they are very bright and very blue, but as mentioned there is nothing better the the true HID.
    " Drive It Like You Stole It "

http://www.cardomain.com/id/tailz17