Thread: rev to 4000 rpm, more symptoms, still need help

DX User

rev to 4000 rpm, more symptoms, still need help

Car (89 carb lx) revs to 4000 on its own. blipping the throttle doesn't help. pulling up on the pedal doesn't help.

When it is doing this (doens't happen every day so far), the low idle goes up to 1400rpm. When I hit the gas, the rpm's DROP by around 50 before going up. Then when I let off the gas, sometimes they go UP a bit.

last night I took it apart AGAIN to have another look. One of the bleed valves is missing its screw, but the vac hose is held on, so I don't think that's the problem. All the vac lines look fine.

The heat riser valve won't hold vac, even though it works (when I put a vac pump on it). Is it supposed to? I never got a straight answer on this one.

Does this sound like a vac leak?

Would a PCV cause this problem?

DX User
    Also, car is going through a lot of gas lately, and doesn't have the power it had last week, before I took it apart to fix carb icining. I expect I must have broken something, though it could be a coincidence. I didn't monkey with any of the settings on the carb though so the only thing I can think of is knocking off a vac line, but I really don't see any missing

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    yes the diaphragm is supposed to hold vacuum... as long as you hooked the pump directly to the diaphragm.
    Last edited by A20A1; 04-22-2005 at 04:04 PM.
    - llia

DX User
    OK thanks. I think I'll have to visit a junkyard sometime soon... hopefully avoiding the snowstorm tomorrow. ugh.