Thread: Can I use KYB GR-2's with Ground Controls?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord Hatchback LX-i

Question Can I use KYB GR-2's with Ground Controls?

i was just wondering can anyone tell me if it is ok to use kyb gr-2 gas shocks with ground control coilovers....anyone....please
    Mine Looks Better Then Yours!!!

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Absolutely, NO, do not do that. KYB GR-2's are nothing more than oem replacement struts. Even KYB doesn't call them performance struts. All lowering coilovers and springs are stiffer, you have to run struts that are likewise stiffer. Even Tokico's H.P. struts and Bilstein H.D.'s (unless revalved ) don't have that it takes either. The only strut you should run with ground-controls are koni special's. And even the koni's are barely stiff enough for them. Revalved Bilstein H.D.'s would be a better choice.

I know ground-controls are expensive, but you don't want to screw up your car with weak sturts that will never let you experience what those ground-controls are all about. One of our members found this out the hard way when he tried to run tokicos with his ground-controls, he now running Koni's in the front and the tokico's in the rear.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d

DX User
    Vehicle
    thanks alot man, i soo soo soo glad i asked before i did that. because i have them sitting in a bow next to me... ...another question...if i wanted to lower my car 3 inches max...what all would need to be done to keep the camber in line...thanks alot again

DX User
    Vehicle
    in a box*** next to me

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Well I'm glad you asked, it would really ride like sh**. As you've figured out, you'll need some kind of camber correction in the front. At a 3" drop I'm pretty sure you'll need camber correction in the rear as well. For the front you can purchase camber kits form eibach and ingalls. Or you can go so a junk yard and pick up a pair of control arms off of a 2nd gen prelude and get some washers to make them fit. Check out some of the post's on prelude arms and you should be able to get an idea of how to install them. For the rear ingalls does make a rear camber correction kit.

Can you return the GR-2's? I sure hope you can.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads

Now I d

DX User
    Vehicle
    yeah i should be able to...if not ill sell them and pick up some koni specials

DX User
    Vehicle
    thanks for all your help

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    No problem, thats what I do

Now I d

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i, 00 Civic EX
    are the koni specials the adjustable ones?
    89 Silverstone Metallic LXi, custom Air Intake, DC Sports 4-2-1 header, A'PEXi N1 exhaust with 2.25" pipe, ACT clutch, Xenon body kit

3geez member since July 11, 2001

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX-i
    [i]
    One of our members found this out the hard way when he tried to run tokicos with his ground-controls, he now running Koni's in the front and the tokico's in the rear. [/B]

Hehe :::looks around:::
    '88 LX-i Coupe --- LS/Vtec
    '08 Accord EX-L 6-6 --- Daily Duty

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by GDGuy11B
    are the koni specials the adjustable ones?
    Yes they are single adjustable for rebound, but not for compression. If they could be adjusted for compression you'd be able to make them stiffer or softer. The rebound adjustability is what lets you dial out bounce,....thank god

Now I d