Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: B-Series swap begins!

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Accord LXi Hatch

B-Series swap begins! 56K beware!

And so the mayhem begins folks...I started working on the mounts last week,...and did a little bit of wiring here and there. I'm using a few Hasport parts for reference, but the rest is from scratch. The motor is a B16A2 from a 99-00 Civic Si, the tranny is a hydro model from a 95 DelSol. I'll be running a hydro-cable kit, OBD1 wiring and ecu. I'm considering producing this kit when it's all done, granted that a good amount of people want it. The prototypes will be made from steel, but I may have the final products CNC machined from billet aluminum. More info as work progresses....

http://www.racetekengineering.com/b1...ver_mount1.jpg

http://www.racetekengineering.com/b1...ear_mount1.jpg

http://www.racetekengineering.com/b1...ear_mount2.jpg

http://www.racetekengineering.com/b16swap/old_a20.jpg

http://www.racetekengineering.com/b16swap/a20_b16.jpg

http://www.racetekengineering.com/b16swap/b161.jpg

http://www.racetekengineering.com/b16swap/b162.jpg
    Last edited by racetek82; 01-27-2005 at 12:47 PM.
    Ray Fong
    Owner/Engineer
    Racetek Engineering
    http://www.racetekengineering.com
    1986 Accord LX-i Hatch
    B16a3 motorswap, BAR approved

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    holy big freaking picures batman!!

good luck on the swap! Show us pictures of your mounts if you get a chance. I wouldnt plan on making too many mount kits. Around here, a lot of people talk, but when push comes to shove, they all fall through.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    GOOD LUCK BRO.
    yeah like Caleb said, don't make too many kits, plus it would be better if they are made out of Steel instead of CNC aluminum.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    93 civic
    Good luck. I see you are from the bay area too. hooray for someone with money!

Vehicle
    ???
    The majority of peeps cant afford the kit....not the motor! Make it resonable and your set
    I havent forgotten my roots

Vehicle
    '87 Carbed Hatch(RIP), 88 FI sedan w/ power group, '73 Jag w/ 350lump
    NICE! finally we can stop hearing about how there are no mounts for the Bseries!
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard;
    And the stupid people are breeding......

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluebead

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    Looks nice so far!! Good luck with the welding.

can't wait to see when it's done.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX
    Looks good, I can't wait to see more progress... Props for undertaking such a thing.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Bucket
    holy crap! youre from alemeda? can i come up to the shop and see it when your done? cool thanx...and also lookin awesome ray. something about that last name tells me your chinese. could be teh fo or the ng. but man good luck with that swap...i'm very arroused!

again caleb is a wise one...don't make too many kits. most of the people on the forum drive the 3g cuz were all broke (or it's a daily driver or something)...you think broke people would have money for an si swap like that? hehe
    3geez for life.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 HONDA ACCORD 1.6 EX
    FANTASTIC........KEEP UP the GOOD WORK.
    If the kit will be in reasonable price, I agree everyone will buy .
    ACCORD 3G RUNS FOR EVER

Vehicle
    1992 Honda Accord EX
    Nice work yea i can wait to see the price

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89
    Good project!
    Why dont you get a cable tranny instead?

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Accord LXi Hatch
    You can't beat a free motor/tranny kit =) The work on this swap is being done in SF....at my workplace....I'll begin making the brackets for the motor mounts this weekend. Hopefully I can get some wiring work done also.

Question for anyone with the Place Racing kit, including wiring. What route was taken for the Speedometer? Was the stock speedo cable used? And was their wiring harness just a engine harness swap, or a complete rewire? thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdane
    Good project!
    Why dont you get a cable tranny instead?
    Ray Fong
    Owner/Engineer
    Racetek Engineering
    1986 Accord LX-i Hatch

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    I used the stock cable. The A20 speed sensor will fit in the B series tranny.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    B16A2, which car is it out of? NIce work man. Looks like a lot of work ur doing. What kinda brackets are those? home made ones or just "made to fit" brackets. Either way, i cant wait to see when the whole thing is done. I think $500 for a kit would sell faster than you can make them. Its an amazing job ur undertaking, and if u can come thru with it, u will be having many customers waiting in line for it.

Also, what kinda material is the mount? urathane or rubber?

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord Lx
    Race you are a godsend.
    As soon as you get the final product finished up I will be first in line with cash in hand!!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250
    The PRI harness was just a sub harness that was wire loomed and you just ran it throught the firewall to the ECU. The wiring shouldnt be that bad i just did a OBD-1 conversion on my car not to long ago and im working on getting a B18 intake manifold/TB.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Lx-i Sedan (long term project)
    actually, there's a handful of us here who have the cash for a swap. there is some demand, just the supply sucks for these cars so the demand got low. that's business. broke people shouldn't be hooking up cars anyways. lol. there's enough ghetto ricer cars out there to make the import tuner scene look bad.

so, back to the topic. i can't wait to see those mounts in that shiny billet aluminum. i've always liked those hasport style mounts. a nice and light billet aluminum shift linkage and shortshifter kit would be nice too. not to mention strut and sway bars. the list goes on. anyways, i first considered the b20b/z swap for my car but that plan fell through when PRI stopped making the mounts, so i decided looking into the b20a. but you've shed new light to most of us here again cus frankly i prefer the newer b20b/z simply because it's the newer generation b-series and has tons of aftermarket support. so keep going on the project and you are bound to have alot of customers in no time. plus it would put the 3gee on the map as a popular car to tune.

being that it's not a popular car in aftermarket support right now cus of its age, it's a good platform to monopolize on profits. and to jump on the bandwagon, i'm also planning on making copies of my bodykit sometime soon, while getting my car into shows/mags/sponsorships and make some big cash for tools, supplies, and workspace. so best of luck to you man.

it's nice to have someone in here work on the "real" performance potential aspect of the 3gee and not all these bullshit upgrades to make a weak 120 hp a20 catch up to a damn civic. ....hmmm although a K-series swap would be sooooo tempting seeing as you have the means to make custom wiring and mounts, i wouldn't doubt that'll be your next project as soon as this thing kicks off. imagine a k20 or k24 powered 3gee. mmmmm. but the b-series swap is a great start and should attract lots of business. only a few can afford a K-series swap right now even for the 90-99 civics because the K-series engines are expensive to buy. just keep a tight schedule and focus on your project as not to upset the demand of customers. good communication between you and your customers is key. not sticking to those obligatory standards is a quick way to lose business as some of the previous business vendors here experienced. ok that's all i gotta say, gotta breathe. lol.
    Last edited by ICEMAN707; 01-28-2005 at 06:27 PM.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1986 prelude
    damn looks nice cant wait to see it done
    dang iceman u worte a freakin book
    rhd restoration 2nd gen prelude

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.
    Hey great job on the mounts, I am in the process of doing a b-series swap in a 3gee. All I have is the mounts and I am Suppose to have a shift linkage , but I think I am getting dicked on that one. I have a contact that I will post up when I get home about the sub wireing harness. I actually found someone that will make any subharness conversion for any car and motor at $150.00 a harness, but as for the engine harness you will have to splice a b-series into it. Now for the questions, what are you useing for your shift linkage? What axles do you plan on useing, and how well does the clutch conversion kit work? Thanks for any info.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX
    Swap looks good.
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 04-11-2005 at 12:37 AM.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Lx-i Sedan (long term project)
    so any updates yet? if i had a b-series motor i could mock up the mounting plates myself of cardboard and then cut it out of heavy guage billet aluminum at a machine shop and have them weld it all together for me. but it's a risk if i dont have the motor. i wish i had a free motor like you. i hope you do make those mounts. saves me the trouble of having to make one myself. post updates on the progress.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Accord LXi Hatch
    Fabbed up part of the chassis brackets last weekend, hoping to fiinish up the mounts this weekend. Worked on the wire harness this week, about 50% done. Just waiting to see if TCI can get me some axles made =)
    Ray Fong
    Owner/Engineer
    Racetek Engineering
    1986 Accord LX-i Hatch

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord Lx
    Any progress so far?

DX User
    Vehicle
    88 dx sedan, RIP... 89 LX-i Coupe... 99 k20/k24 ek hatch
    o my fucking god. please make this kit available to other people. i was saving up for the placeracing kit but then those fukrs went out of business or something and now my accord is fucked up and im gunna buy another one and i wanna out a b series in it. do this and i will be the first to buy it!!!