Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: B16 swap

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by mouchyn
    Actually, no. Quite honestly, I think modding out the 3G accord is pretty dumb. My accord is my efficient daily driver. It hauls me and my family around getting 30 mpg and that's all i need it to do. I have my preludes, motorcycles, and RX7 for going fast. It kinda makes me laugh that you guys want to put all this time and money into a daily driven 3G accord. I mean, for $2000, you can buy a newer accord that makes just as much, if not more power, than a 3G with a b16 in it. Then, if you wanted to hop up your daily driver accord, the swaps would be bolt-in which all of you love so much.
    you have a point other than the fact that modding a 2g lude is the same "lame idea" as modding a 2g,3g, accord....

so you may have other go fast toys, but according to your logic the lude would qualify as a stupid car to upgrade as well, ESPECIALLY if you have motorcycles and rx-7's that you are working on.

that being said, its pointless to argue that modding old cars is a waste of time, look where you are, 3geez.com, most of us have $1000-$2000 into performance as well, and it probably would suprise the hell out of me for many more than a few of these accords to break into high 15's... to me thats a waste of money, but i do it anyway... lol i still get 35mpg so i dont care...

cliff notes, even though you are right, no-one cares, we mod 3g accords here!

ps i dont see why this thread would be locked, its not really out of control...

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Quote Originally Posted by mouchyn
    jeez. everyone told me this site was full of narrow-minded pricks, but i didn't believe it. I've been looking around here for a long time. It wasn't until just recently that i started posting more.

-I have swapped two b18s into 2nd gen preludes -- which are just like the 3g accord.
    -i have swapped MANY different motors into my 3G preludes, including the H22.

if you think a b16 in a 3G accord is "nice," then that's your opinion. good for you. personally, i wouldn't want to spend all that time and money to have get UP to stock civic Si speed/power. If i'm going to weld custom mounts, swap out an ecu, swap the wiring harness, find custom axles, and all that shit, I would want something that will yield me the best results for my time and money. what's so hard to understand about that?

here's an example.

1. header ABC costs $150 and makes 5 whp (dyno proven)
    2. header XYZ costs $200 and makes 15 whp (dyno proven)
    which would you buy?

buying header ABC is like putting a b16 into the accord. sure it make a tiny bit more power and its cheap, but for just a tad bit more, you can have nearly 3 times the gains.

also, i think it's pretty shitty that a moderator, who is supposed to set an example and work with users to make the site more effective and useful, said my points are useless. how many other cars have you built? how many years have you been a mechanic? how many race organizations are you a member of?

I don't have to prove myself to anyone on here. I didn't think I had to post a resume for people to take me seriously. I think it's great someone got off their ass and put a b16 in their accord. That shows motivation and creativity. All I was saying that for the same money or just a tiny bit more, you could have a MUCH faster car and one that doesn't have to rev to high heaven to do it.

"If you are so knowledgeable about what is the best motor for accord, i would assume you have at least B series swaped."

Actually, no. Quite honestly, I think modding out the 3G accord is pretty dumb. My accord is my efficient daily driver. It hauls me and my family around getting 30 mpg and that's all i need it to do. I have my preludes, motorcycles, and RX7 for going fast. It kinda makes me laugh that you guys want to put all this time and money into a daily driven 3G accord. I mean, for $2000, you can buy a newer accord that makes just as much, if not more power, than a 3G with a b16 in it. Then, if you wanted to hop up your daily driver accord, the swaps would be bolt-in which all of you love so much.
    Wow, you truly are a champion. A B18 over a B16. 10 hp, you are god now. Let's check your math. I bought a B16 for $1250. The cheapest GS-R was $3000. That's a little more than a few dollars. And I will tell you this, I will beat a Si.

No one here is closed minded. We just don't like people coming in here talking down ideas when we don't know what your credentials are.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i
    the b18 in the prelude wasn't my car. i was paid to install the engine. i told that customer exactly what i said here, but he insisted on the b18b that he had lying around, so i put it in for him. Took me a week. I had the engine IN the engine bay in 2 days. I spent most of my time waiting on custom axles to be made at a local driveline shop.

it's also kinda bad that you guys think i'm "talking down" someone's work or idea. It's not like that at all. This is a community for free flow of information and ideas. I don't see why my points about the b16 being torqueless is so invalid. It's true. The engine has no balls. It revs to high heaven. That's how it makes its power. All I was trying to say is that you have a lot more potential and headroom with a larger displacement engine.

believe me, if i could get my hands on a really cheap b series motor and had the time, i'd swap it into my accord. If i was actually starting the project from start to finish and buying an engine, there's no way i'd choose a b series. I, personally, would go with something with a little more torque. Again, since you guys don't seem to grasp the concept of an opinion, this is just what I would do and what I would suggest to anyone that asked me.
    Chris
    http://personalwebs.myriad.net/mouchyn/accordsig.jpg

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Do you realize that torque just gets the car moving? After that, it's all horsepower. How do you expect an engine with 111 lb. ft to run high 15's? A B16 has less torque than a B18A/B, yet is faster, explain that. You may be able to swap an H22 cheaply because of your background but most of us here are college students with little funds and experience. An H22 swap is out of most people's scope making the B swap a better choice.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i
    if most people here are college students and use their accords for daily driving, then it seems like an engine with decent torque numbers is what you would want. All the stop and go driving found in a daily driven car means you're doing a lot of "getting the car moving." In my turbo prelude, there were times driving around town I would just leave the car in 2nd or 3rd gear. Granted I had a stage 2 exedy clutch setup, but the point is the car had enough torque to get me moving just fine in 2nd and 3rd gear.

the H22 is kinda expensive. Although, lately, I have seen the engine, tranny, ecu, and wiring harness sell on ebay for less than 2 grand. Hell, i've even seen a set sell for less than $1500. If you keep your eyes peeled or buy the parts one at a time from other car sites, you could build yourself a really nice 2.2L setup that has TONS of room to grow.

think about this: for the sake of conversation, we'll say the b16 swap costs $2000 start to finish and the H22 swap costs $3000 start to finish. Realistically, those numbers might be higher, but the difference in cost of doing the swap all on your own (without pre-fabbed mounts) should only be the price of the engine. The materials for installing the engine and stuff should be the same if you do all your own work -- which a lot of users here are capable of.

ok, now. after you install a stock b16 for 2 grand, you have a pretty decent setup. Certainly a lot faster than the stock 3G accord. Since we're gearheads, we're going to mod the b16 since there are so many parts available for it. I mean, that's one of the biggest reasons to put something like the b16 into an old car. Aftermarket parts are super easy to find and have been very well tested. If you spend $1000 on normal bolt on parts for that B16, I doubt you could get it up to the power level of a stock H22. I THINK it would take some pretty serious modding to make a b16 powered 3G keep up with a h22 powered accord with a stock h22.

the thing about that is the H22 is still stock. Sure you've already sunk 3 grand into it, but it's fast. The cool thing about it is there is still plenty of room to grow. You haven't even started with the bolts ons yet. So, whenever you get some extra cash, you're just going to keep pushing power up and up with minimal effort.
    Chris

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    The scary part is the fact not many people have done it. If you have a problem and get stuck, there's really no where to turn. I doubt a lot of users here could pull of an engine swap on their own. I thought I knew a lot about cars before but if I wouldn't have had help with mine, it probably never would have got done. Once you've done one, you're pretty set afterwards. It took me a day to pull my A20 but when I pulled my B16 afterwards, it only took 3 hours. Also, most of the people here don't have access to tools to make mounts, shift linkage, etc. so they have to turn to a shop who can decide they're ready to do some raping. The H22 is a large motor and is a tight squeeze. I'm sure some finessing of frame rails is required for belt clearance. Then you have the cable -> hydro clutch conversion and changing from shift rods to cables.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i
    how much bigger is the b20b/z than the b16? i don't think the engines are physically all that different. that wouldn't be a bad swap, either. You could even use the b16 mounts and shift linkages since all b series mounts are the same (with the exception of the bastard b20/b21 in the 3G prelude).
    Chris

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    The B20B/Z is the same size as all the other B's. Well, actually, B18's and B20's have a slightly taller deck height. But that affect anything. The reasons for the larger displacement is the fact the cylinders are 84 mm instead of 81. The problem with that swap is the fact they are low compression motors and they have the weakest cylinder walls of all B's. Anything turbo or high compression needs sleeved. That's upwards of $600 right there.
    Last edited by SteveDX89; 04-04-2005 at 12:19 PM.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series
    Damn, LOL Well That Catolog was "Place Racing" But i got a Friend well make me some Motor Mounts and Shift linkage and Axle Shafts for 300 Which is pretty dame good. Alot of peeps tell me like some of the Members here say U cant put a B16 in a 3geez well im going to do it One way or other for under 2grand. Maybe Cuz i got some connections but that doesnt me it can be done. I see other 3geezs with B series swaps then i can do it to. I like SteveDX89's car its something im trying to do. Thanks for your info. SteveDX89 how much was your Swap Total????????

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendon LX-i
    Damn, LOL Well That Catolog was "Place Racing" But i got a Friend well make me some Motor Mounts and Shift linkage and Axle Shafts for 300 Which is pretty dame good. Alot of peeps tell me like some of the Members here say U cant put a B16 in a 3geez well im going to do it One way or other for under 2grand. Maybe Cuz i got some connections but that doesnt me it can be done. I see other 3geezs with B series swaps then i can do it to. I like SteveDX89's car its something im trying to do. Thanks for your info. SteveDX89 how much was your Swap Total????????

Little bit of an old thread bump, but can you really have custom axles made and if so can you have more than one set made? Let me know it is something that I am having trouble finding.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 coupe/ 06 TL 6spd
    like i've said t before..and others have said before..sure the b16 is a good dwap..but it's torqueless..i personally would stick with a b18 or better..more displacement and more torque..i did a b16 swap in my g2 teg, and even i can feel the lack or torque difference compaired to my b18..and not to mention..this is in a teg..which is much leighter then a 3g..so you will for sure notice some differences..hence this is why i say get b18 or higher. b16 is a high-end motor..that isn't known for it's low-end power. so unless you plan on driving your 3g at 100mph daily..then sure b16 is the way to go..if not..then i suggest a b18
    R.I.P Spoon Se-i 01/17/04

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rd GEN
    like i've said t before..and others have said before..sure the b16 is a good dwap..but it's torqueless..i personally would stick with a b18 or better..more displacement and more torque..i did a b16 swap in my g2 teg, and even i can feel the lack or torque difference compaired to my b18..and not to mention..this is in a teg..which is much leighter then a 3g..so you will for sure notice some differences..hence this is why i say get b18 or higher. b16 is a high-end motor..that isn't known for it's low-end power. so unless you plan on driving your 3g at 100mph daily..then sure b16 is the way to go..if not..then i suggest a b18

Dude if your talking to me, I am putting an LS/Vtec into my car. I know about the b16 being a "TQless" motor, but is that really relivent to this thread. I am jsut trying to figure out what axle to use .

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    I've never even hit 100 mph with my B16. And it drives just fine.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude...
    yea thats all I want to know is which axles to use...my B18A1 is getting ready to go back together and I wanna start getting parts asap so let me know...

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 coupe/ 06 TL 6spd
    i wasn't talking about anyone in particular.. i was just making a general statement.. LS/VTEC is a good route to go..that will make some good numbers.

i've hit 100mph with my b16 many times..i hit my speed cut all the time..lol..
    time to get my ecu chipped

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    i wasn't talking about anyone in particular.. i was just making a general statement.. LS/VTEC is a good route to go..that will make some good numbers.

i've hit 100mph with my b16 many times..i hit my speed cut all the time..lol..
    time to get my ecu chipped
    LS/VTEC is a good route. You can never argue with more displacement. My point is just that the B16 has enough power down low to get you around. My car makes a nice Sunday driver, albeit extremely loud Sunday driver.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 coupe/ 06 TL 6spd
    true that..there is no replacement for displacement. just all depends what kind of route you plan to take...wether you want a daily driver with just a little more pep..or an all out race car..

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T
    sooo.... which axles can we use??
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 coupe/ 06 TL 6spd
    i believe you have to use b-series axles..you have to get custom engine mounts though.

Vehicle

Re: B16 swap

Im bumping this thread cause i PULLED IT OFF LOL. took me years and experiance to get my skills i have now. b series swap was the best thing ive done to my accord. short geared. fast, and sexy. A20 was good but all this smaller vs bigger shit dont make sense lol when a b series pistons is bigger then a stock a20.

But like my pops told me. you can do what ever you set your mind to. NUFF SAID.

LOL had to bump this OLD ASS THREAD cause i saw and read all the comments. steve put a point down but also gave me motivation saying no one can do the swap.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

search you noob! lmao

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle

LMFAO . I know right. I was cracking up looking all my noob post. I'm like really u dum ass LMFAO

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

i know the feeling hahaha "can someone photoshop a wing on my car?" was one of my first threads LMAO and i asked this same question pretty much except i didnt know engine codes so i was like "can i put a 2000 civic si motor in my car"

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle

What a noob lol. I was still working on my first b-swap, and thread jacking you at the same time!

Vehicle

LMFAO right

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC