Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: B16 swap

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

B16 swap

Sup crew, Yes this question is been asked so many time and yeah u prolly gonna say Search But I looked or prolly didnt look right. But I just wanted to know HOW MUCH would it be to do a complete SWAP of a B16 into a 86 lx-i. Cuz i got the money just need to know what needs to be done to get it put in. I would really appricated of u help me out crew.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    well, since noone makes the mounts, linkages and axels anymore, you will have to make them yourself or wait for this guy to finish his swap and see if he will make you a set.
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=41201
    Alex.

Vehicle
    A20A3T
    Boost it or loose it
    Stop bench racing and pick up a wrench

I know my spelling sucks and I suck with computers deal with it.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 coupe/ 06 TL 6spd
    this is just my .2 cents..but personally, i wouldn't do a b16..for one..the accord is a heavy car and the b16 is torque less..so low end.. you are going to be going nowhere..b16's are a high-end very rev happy motor..I have a g2 teg and just recently did a jdm b16 swap..and even on my teg, i've noticed the lack of torque as compared to having the b18..3G acords are even heavier then my teg, so you will deffinately be feeling a lack in low end power..however, once v-tec kicks in, you will be hauling...esp with a 8200 redline! muhahaha

but if you were gonna to any b-series swap...i'd say b20 is your best bet, 2nd b18....displacement is gonna be the moajor factor here..simply becase you have a heavier car, and you need some "UMPH" to pull that thing around..b20 turbo is the way to go...or go b18 and do LS Vtec..

but from my own knowledge and experience...that is wht i'd do...
    of course you don't have to listen to me...but just take those things into concideration
    R.I.P Spoon Se-i 01/17/04

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rd GEN
    this is just my .2 cents..but personally, i wouldn't do a b16..for one..the accord is a heavy car and the b16 is torque less..so low end.. you are going to be going nowhere..b16's are a high-end very rev happy motor..I have a g2 teg and just recently did a jdm b16 swap..and even on my teg, i've noticed the lack of torque as compared to having the b18..3G acords are even heavier then my teg, so you will deffinately be feeling a lack in low end power..however, once v-tec kicks in, you will be hauling...esp with a 8200 redline! muhahaha

but if you were gonna to any b-series swap...i'd say b20 is your best bet, 2nd b18....displacement is gonna be the moajor factor here..simply becase you have a heavier car, and you need some "UMPH" to pull that thing around..b20 turbo is the way to go...or go b18 and do LS Vtec..

but from my own knowledge and experience...that is wht i'd do...
    of course you don't have to listen to me...but just take those things into concideration
    This body style Accord is lighter or comparably heavy depending on trim level to the 6th gen Civic Si coupe. So that means it will be just as fast as that. Accord does not necessarilly mean heavy all the time. Get that out of your thinking.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Bucket
    i dont get where you get that idea his sedan is heavy. curb weight is 2568lb with a 2.0 liter while the 99-00 si weigh 2612lb with the smaller 1.6 liter...with the si motor in your sedan, you should feel the same kick as if you were driving the si. and the b16a2 has one of the weakest tq rating in the b-series family.
    not a bad swap tho...altho you are encouraged to research on the other b-series.
    3geez for life.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 coupe/ 06 TL 6spd
    i don't mean heavy as in weighing 3000 lbs...but the accord in general is a heavier car then most hondas...i was just saying for the weight of the car, you might want to look into something thats a little more torqy to pull that weight...

HP means nothing...it's the torque that gets you moving..

think of it this way... your computer for example...you could have the fastest processing unit ( P4, 2.2ghz) or whatever..but it's the RAM of the HD that helps that procesor think...in otherwords..you need the ram to back the cpu..otherwise, your computer is as useless as a car without a steering wheel..

even in my car.. the jdm b16a is 160hp dohc verse my b18 which was 135hp dohc..but yet, the b18 pulled more then my b16 does...however, my b16 will out run the b18 anyday...every motor has is pro's and cons..depending what car you plan on dropping it into...thats why my other suggestion was an LS-vtec..
    where the LS ( b18) is a little more torqy then the b16, and if you drop a vtec head on.. your basically turning it into an gsr motor...

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Bucket
    i don't mean heavy as in weighing 3000 lbs...but the accord in general is a heavier car then most hondas...i was just saying for the weight of the car, you might want to look into something thats a little more torqy to pull that weight...

HP means nothing...it's the torque that gets you moving..

think of it this way... your computer for example...you could have the fastest processing unit ( P4, 2.2ghz) or whatever..but it's the RAM of the HD that helps that procesor think...in otherwords..you need the ram to back the cpu..otherwise, your computer is as useless as a car without a steering wheel..

even in my car.. the jdm b16a is 160hp dohc verse my b18 which was 135hp dohc..but yet, the b18 pulled more then my b16 does...however, my b16 will out run the b18 anyday...every motor has is pro's and cons..depending what car you plan on dropping it into...thats why my other suggestion was an LS-vtec..
    where the LS ( b18) is a little more torqy then the b16, and if you drop a vtec head on.. your basically turning it into an gsr motor...
    yes i understand, sorry i misunderstood before, just seems as if you were saying the car is heavy as in that's bad, but compared to the si civics it's relatively the same weight (lighter actually) however if i were to do a swap i would definitely look into ls or crv bottom end with vtec head to give more tq. you'd have to build the b16 internally to get out of that 111 tq range, the ls/vtec or crvtec would be tourquish stock.
    3geez for life.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    If the B16 will outrun the B18, why does it matter if it's doesn't pull as hard? What matters is who crosses the finish line first.

Vehicle
    i have to agree with Steve. B16 may be torqueless at the bottom end, but when it comes racing, you won't use bottom end anyway. plus B16 has almost the same TQ rating as A20. Plus with right gear ratios, you won't need as much TQ to get off the line.
    Alex.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 coupe/ 06 TL 6spd
    well i was just saying from my experience..even doing a b16 swap in my teg, i was loosing displacment..now you are gonna go from a 2.0 to a 1.6, thats alot of displacement to loose.. yes the b16 is a very good high reving motor, but it just seems like the b16 for an accor is too small of a motor..i'd stick with anything above a b18..or b20

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series
    Ok I got some good news and some bad news. First I went to a shop around i live and he had a Catalog of some motor mounts and A company made some for 86-89 accord and u can put a B16/B17/B18 and only two bills but the wed site is down so im waiting and the good news I found a complete B16a2 off a 99' si if i remeber right for a Grand but i dont get the distrubuter i dont know why but not bad for 60,000 miles. Just wanted to let u guys what was going on with me and my project. And i have a friend a mine that does custom work on swaping engine He said he make it work hahah. welll b16 well be in soon by july or so. Well Peace Crew.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    For the love of god. The only company that made B mounts was Place Racing. I don't care what your catalog says. They are just a supplier for Place Racing stuff. Unless they have them on a shelf, you will not receive them.

DX User
    Vehicle
    88 dx sedan, RIP... 89 LX-i Coupe... 99 k20/k24 ek hatch
    well said steve. anybody know whats going on with the guy who said he was making mounts? doing an efi conversion within the next few months and then hoping to have some sort of b-series in there by the end of the year.

anyone know of any gsr powered 3g's?

-Joe

Vehicle
    '87 Carbed Hatch(RIP), 88 FI sedan w/ power group, '73 Jag w/ 350lump
    PM lilHonda.. he did a b16 swap and said it cost him 1G, and 900 of that was for the engine....
    Good luck tho, we need to get more swapping experiences posted on here
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard;
    And the stupid people are breeding......

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluebead

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986/honda/Accord hatchback

What is the best motor for a 1986 honda Accord?

What would yall say is the best motor for an 1986 honda Accord and it needs to fit it!

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigg_Nate2008
    What would yall say is the best motor for an 1986 honda Accord and it needs to fit it!
    first of all, since you are carbed. you need to convert to EFI if you want more power.
    second, you can stay carbed, but it will take a lot of money to get the motor put out some power.

and final to answer your question, you are stuck with carbed motor unless you will do some custom work on it, conver to EFi and drop B series honda motor.
    even if you drop B16 you will have to make your own mounts, custom axels, custom shifter linkages and much more.

sorry to dissapoint you, but you will have to invest a lot of money if you want better motor. as what motor is the best. well diff people will say diff things. some will say B series is the way to go, but some will say stay with motor you have and turbo it, but even if you go turbo you still have to convert to EFI.
    Alex.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i
    a few things to consider. when you lose displacement, you lose torque. physics tells us that. if you're building your accord to be a race car, that doens't so much matter. if you can get your hands on a cheap b16, then go for it. if you're building your 3G to be a daily driver, then the b16 might piss you off. Who wants to drive from stop light to stop light at 6k rpm? i sure don't. not only is the driving not smooth, but the wife would bitch about the noise while trying to have a conversation.

if you want your daily driven 3G accord to move a little faster, you're going to need to up your torque numbers minimally. Stay with a well built 1.8L engine like the b18b or even something bigger like the b20 or H22.

really, since the mounts have to be custom, the wiring harness has to be changed, the ecu has to be changed, axles need to be changed, there's no reason to go with the b16 over something bigger like the b20 or h22. It will take the same amount of work to get the b20 or h22 into the engine bay. H22s with ecus and transmissions can be had for next to nothing, now. I've seen JDM 4th gen prelude vtec front clips sell for less than $2k.

it's this torque/displacement issue that makes people want to spend money boosting their A series engine instead of cramming a different engine in there. It's easy and cheap to find replacement parts for the a20. When it blows up because of the turbo, you can swap a fresh one in for $350 from a local junk yard and still have 250 whp reliably. all it takes is a nicely made manifold and downpipe. that's the only 3G accord specific part you need. The rest is universal. Turbo, exhaust, electronics, fuel upgrades, IC, piping, filters, all universal. With measurements for the manifold and downpipe, a local machine shop could build you a nice heavy manifold for a few hundred bucks. It would take less than three days work. I know. I've done it.
    Last edited by mouchyn; 04-02-2005 at 09:23 PM.
    Chris
    http://personalwebs.myriad.net/mouchyn/accordsig.jpg

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i
    long story short:

why would you spend a bunch of money and time doing an engine swap in your accord to make it as fast as a stock civic si?

now you have a car with mediocre power and loud inside and requires you to engage VTEC to go anywhere faster than an insight with nearly dead batteries. no thanks.

all mods being equal, there is no replacement for displacement.
    Chris

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Quote Originally Posted by mouchyn
    long story short:

why would you spend a bunch of money and time doing an engine swap in your accord to make it as fast as a stock civic si?

now you have a car with mediocre power and loud inside and requires you to engage VTEC to go anywhere faster than an insight with nearly dead batteries. no thanks.

Typical response from someone with no experience. I can drive my B16 just like I did the A20. I pull out 1K and I can shift at 2K (I usually shift at 3K) and doesn't affect drivability at all. If you don't believe it, come to PA and find out. The only reason it's loud inside my car is because my exhaust is really loud. If I had stock exhaust, it would be just as quiet as a stock A20 with stock exhaust. All mods being equal, huh? Give me a B16 with the same mods as your A20. I'll whoop your ass hard and then point and laugh at you cause you think you car is faster.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Quote Originally Posted by 88tandx
    anyone know of any gsr powered 3g's?

-Joe
    There was a white coupe with a GS-R swap. He sold it tho. Bought an EG hatch and dropped the motor in there. We do have a guy that's got a GS-R block with a type R head tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg_Nate2008
    No need to hijack someone else's thread. Start your own or search.
    Last edited by SteveDX89; 04-03-2005 at 07:48 AM.

Vehicle
    long story short:

If you are so knowledgeable about what is the best motor for accord, i would assume you have at least B series swaped. show us your swap?
    if you don't have it, i think you should just stop talking right now. if you don't have experience with swaping b series or any other motors beside stock one into 3G accord, you should never speak. We have members with multiple b series swaps and they are happy with them. the driveability doesn't change at all.
    So unless you have some experience with 3G accord, your points are useless.
    Alex.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i
    jeez. everyone told me this site was full of narrow-minded pricks, but i didn't believe it. I've been looking around here for a long time. It wasn't until just recently that i started posting more.

-I have swapped two b18s into 2nd gen preludes -- which are just like the 3g accord.
    -i have swapped MANY different motors into my 3G preludes, including the H22.

if you think a b16 in a 3G accord is "nice," then that's your opinion. good for you. personally, i wouldn't want to spend all that time and money to have get UP to stock civic Si speed/power. If i'm going to weld custom mounts, swap out an ecu, swap the wiring harness, find custom axles, and all that shit, I would want something that will yield me the best results for my time and money. what's so hard to understand about that?

here's an example.

1. header ABC costs $150 and makes 5 whp (dyno proven)
    2. header XYZ costs $200 and makes 15 whp (dyno proven)
    which would you buy?

buying header ABC is like putting a b16 into the accord. sure it make a tiny bit more power and its cheap, but for just a tad bit more, you can have nearly 3 times the gains.

also, i think it's pretty shitty that a moderator, who is supposed to set an example and work with users to make the site more effective and useful, said my points are useless. how many other cars have you built? how many years have you been a mechanic? how many race organizations are you a member of?

I don't have to prove myself to anyone on here. I didn't think I had to post a resume for people to take me seriously. I think it's great someone got off their ass and put a b16 in their accord. That shows motivation and creativity. All I was saying that for the same money or just a tiny bit more, you could have a MUCH faster car and one that doesn't have to rev to high heaven to do it.

"If you are so knowledgeable about what is the best motor for accord, i would assume you have at least B series swaped."

Actually, no. Quite honestly, I think modding out the 3G accord is pretty dumb. My accord is my efficient daily driver. It hauls me and my family around getting 30 mpg and that's all i need it to do. I have my preludes, motorcycles, and RX7 for going fast. It kinda makes me laugh that you guys want to put all this time and money into a daily driven 3G accord. I mean, for $2000, you can buy a newer accord that makes just as much, if not more power, than a 3G with a b16 in it. Then, if you wanted to hop up your daily driver accord, the swaps would be bolt-in which all of you love so much.
    Chris

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    jeez. everyone told me this site was full of narrow-minded pricks, but i didn't believe it. I've been looking around here for a long time. It wasn't until just recently that i started posting more.

-I have swapped two b18s into 2nd gen preludes -- which are just like the 3g accord.

if you think a b16 in a 3G accord is "nice," then that's your opinion. good for you. personally, i wouldn't want to spend all that time and money to have get UP to stock civic Si speed/power. If i'm going to weld custom mounts, swap out an ecu, swap the wiring harness, find custom axles, and all that shit, I would want something that will yield me the best results for my time and money. what's so hard to understand about that?

here's an example.

which would you buy?

buying header ABC is like putting a b16 into the accord. sure it make a tiny bit more power and its cheap, but for just a tad bit more, you can have nearly 3 times the gains.

also, i think it's pretty shitty that a moderator, who is supposed to set an example and work with users to make the site more effective and useful, said my points are useless. how many other cars have you built? how many years have you been a mechanic? how many race organizations are you a member of?

I don't have to prove myself to anyone on here. I didn't think I had to post a resume for people to take me seriously. I think it's great someone got off their ass and put a b16 in their accord. That shows motivation and creativity. All I was saying that for the same money or just a tiny bit more, you could have a MUCH faster car and one that doesn't have to rev to high heaven to do it.

"If you are so knowledgeable about what is the best motor for accord, i would assume you have at least B series swaped."

Actually, no. Quite honestly, I think modding out the 3G accord is pretty dumb. My accord is my efficient daily driver. It hauls me and my family around getting 30 mpg and that's all i need it to do. I have my preludes, motorcycles, and RX7 for going fast. It kinda makes me laugh that you guys want to put all this time and money into a daily driven 3G accord. I mean, for $2000, you can buy a newer accord that makes just as much, if not more power, than a 3G with a b16 in it. Then, if you wanted to hop up your daily driver accord, the swaps would be bolt-in which all of you love so much.

A man with a mind well said. They ll pad lock it now.

wp

Vehicle

here's an example.

which would you buy?

well i would like to see some of those swaps you made.
    I am not a mechanic, but i can assure you that i met preatty stupid mechanics in my life. I have been working on cars since i was 10 years old. I have been on this board for a long time, and i have contributed to this board a lot.
    the reason we people stay and mod this accords is because they love them. I have done B series swap and i can assure you that even with PR kit it wasn't easy. it was one tight fit.
    Alex.