View Poll Results: What is better for boost ?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • GRIND ; LIST BELOW

9 64.29%
  • NO GRIND ; KEEP STOCK CAM AND RUN ADJUSTABLE CAM GEAR

5 35.71%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Camshaft ; Grind / No Grind ?

Vehicle
    see user name

Cam + turbo

Would I be wasting time and money if I were to get a cam regrind then later down the road adding a turbo. Or would the cam regrind still be useful for when I decide to go turbo. Will the turbo need a specific grind or will any grind work.. Lets say I were to get the tri-flow from colt, then later I add a turbo. would that grind be compatible or would I need a specific turbo regrind.

I want to increase hp but don't have enough yet to get Sean's turbo kit. So I was going to get the cam regrind to make due for now. another concern is that I probably won't gain much benifit from the cam without headers so that would also need upgraded. But then when I go turbo, the header(and maybe cam) will be useless.....

What are some thoughts??? Should I just go the N/A route for now or save up for the turbo. In either case, I will be getting the gm ECu upgrade with DIS. But if the cam will give me noticable power with out header upgrade and if it is compatible with turbo, I will just get the cam for now then add turbo when i have the money..

any insight into this matter would be great.

Peace...
    89 Lx-i
    Performance: K&N filter,custom CAI, Accel coil, MSD 6aL ignition, magnecor wires, high flow injectors, FPR, sport exhaust,Tokico springs/struts
    Appearance: white gauges, side markers, headlight conversion, clear bumper signal/fog light conversion, SE-i center armrest and cupholder, SE-i leather seats
    17" ADRs with 205/40/17 khumos
    future plans: 16" or 17" rims(can scratch that one off the list 9-12-02), headers-high flow cat.-cat back piping. Rear disc brakes from SE-i, reground cam.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    its better to use the stock cam. You could get a reground cam for now and just keep a stock one for when you get a turbo......
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987-Gen2 Honda Prelude-FF-2.0L-MPFI-4 Cyl-5 Spd-PWR-BLK
    IMO a cam regrind is uselsss...well...not really but for your application it will be. Unless you are dumping 10 grand into your motor in forged internals....you should have no problem reaching the point of explosion with your engine with a proper turbo! The cam will allow a little better air flow....but hey....your packing so much in there anyway just adjust your boost pressure until your engine is(comfortably) maxed!

LX User
    Vehicle
    WHat the HELL is this thing???

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    i would say, stay with stock engine for right now. save money for sean's turbo kit.
    get the kit and start from there.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    Originally posted by BootMachine
    WHat the HELL is this thing???

I have no idea. i just thought it was cool.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

LX User
    Vehicle
    I want that thing....its scary!

Vehicle
    see user name
    Ok, thanks guys for the replies. that was very helpfull... I guess I will just hold off for now and save up money for the turbo.

..and yeah, I've always wondered what the heck that brown furry monster was.....looks like a character from poke mon or something
    89 Lx-i
    Performance: K&N filter,custom CAI, Accel coil, MSD 6aL ignition, magnecor wires, high flow injectors, FPR, sport exhaust,Tokico springs/struts
    Appearance: white gauges, side markers, headlight conversion, clear bumper signal/fog light conversion, SE-i center armrest and cupholder, SE-i leather seats
    17" ADRs with 205/40/17 khumos
    future plans: 16" or 17" rims(can scratch that one off the list 9-12-02), headers-high flow cat.-cat back piping. Rear disc brakes from SE-i, reground cam.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    its called a domuken or something. its possible it could be from pokemon. although i hate pokemon, i think that little guy is AWESOME.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    89 EX-i, 91 Civic dx, 88 Civic dx

Exclamation Turbo Camshaft ; Grind / No Grind ?

Alright, building an A20 for boost over the winter, want to get a cam for the pnp head and my cam gear. Now, my carbed beater has a regrind in it from colt, the mild-triflow. I however heard that the offset intake lobes are shitty for getting the head flowing nicely. Would I be better off with the stock EFI cam for now, until I get around to doing a regrind on that? Lets hear some opinions! I however seem to think the stock efi cam will be sufficent.

- Drive it like a Rental!
    My 89 Ex-i on Car Domain

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    youre prolly best off with the stock efi cam and maybe a cam gear... whats the specs on that cam anyway?
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Well I guess they made a special turbo grind for Sean, and prop will have the specs if you ask them. But the triflow is up in the air, some swear by it and others say it kills flow. But it depends on what is better, big flow numbers or better swirl?????????? They both have numbers that say they work, but they also are the exact opposites. To be flow sounds the best but with what the race teams are doing is focusing on swirl so I guess follow the leader with the biggest hp numbers
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin86
    Well I guess they made a special turbo grind for Sean, and prop will have the specs if you ask them. But the triflow is up in the air, some swear by it and others say it kills flow. But it depends on what is better, big flow numbers or better swirl?????????? They both have numbers that say they work, but they also are the exact opposites. To be flow sounds the best but with what the race teams are doing is focusing on swirl so I guess follow the leader with the biggest hp numbers

You'll have to explain to me how you get swirl off a cam grind?

Most turbo or Sc cams are pretty close to stock. Maybe a little more lift on the exhuast side and a little more duration on the intake. Check the major cam places they have a lotta tech stuff on there web-sites.

wp

LXi User
    Vehicle
    05 Legacy GT 87/accord/lx (rip)
    Why not try each one and see which works best?

But I have a question myself: would putting the same cam (colt cam, mild tri-flow, carb grind) into a stock a20a3 work fine, or will it screw up the FI timing?
    Last edited by keruhas184; 02-03-2005 at 10:54 PM.

Vehicle
    no it wont screw up the timing if you installed it correctly. Yeah opening the valves differently like the triflow is good for low and mid range power but not peak hp... but my gripe is that there is too much duration and overlap for these to be used for a turbo car... but im not sure of the specs. Id say that a 242 degree cam with 400 lift would be a nice turbo cam... i was thinking about trying it myself.

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    http://www.crower.com/cat/import/honda/camshafts.shtml

heres some Honda specs I dredged up.

wp

Vehicle
    good find

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter
    good find
    Its a start I know its not for our engines but It gives some kinda idea.

That Web cams company might be a good place to try. They do hard welding so they arn't stuck with the limitations of the old cam and could grind you anything you can come up with. They advertise in SCC I think in the back and claim to have been around a while.

wp

Vehicle
    The tri flow, by delaying the opening of one intake valve creates turbulence, aka swirl. It will slow the flow but would give a better air/fuel mix for more efficent combustion, so you loose some, gain some.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter
    no it wont screw up the timing if you installed it correctly. Yeah opening the valves differently like the triflow is good for low and mid range power but not peak hp... but my gripe is that there is too much duration and overlap for these to be used for a turbo car... but im not sure of the specs. Id say that a 242 degree cam with 400 lift would be a nice turbo cam... i was thinking about trying it myself.

yeah regrinds its always a problem with over lap. You can't get more lift without more overlap.

wp

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Not entirely true
    What you want to do is increase the lobe center angle to decrease valve overlap
    This can be acheived to some degree by a regrind.
    or a weld to one face and grind down the other to increase the LCA and still maintain some lift.

Then there is always a totally new cam.
    - llia

Vehicle
    what were the specs on the mild delta grind? If i remember they looked pretty good for boost... not 100% sure tho

Vehicle
    1987 Ex-i 89 SE-i
    i always thought/heard the tri-flow from colt was the way to go, with the cam opening one intake valve first it pulls the air fuel mixture across the other valve then opening that one, with the pulling of the air its creates a swirl (like mentioned above) and the swirl then creates a better air/fel mixture, with a turbo arent you pretty interested in what the air/fuel is like,aha?

this is just what i was told, if im wrong plz let me know as i hate it when ppl talk shit about somthing they dont know and i would not like to be one myself
    -Who needs horse power when you got icy roads and bald tires

-To drift a car is to create reckless art

Vehicle
    lookin

turbo cam

I have this cam from the turbo set up I was goin to do...

Prime INT 280° .392 Lift
    SEC INT 268° .383 Lift
    EX: 288° .394 Lift (advanced for turbo 2)

colt triflow stage 2

what do you guys think?
    'honda makes people happy'

Vehicle
    Seems like that is too high of a duriation for a turbo, where you get it made at?