Thread: How to replace front strut/springs without compressor......

How to replace front strut/springs without compressor......

I am replacing my front springs & struts, is there a way to replace it without using compressor, the spring compressor I have will work on the rear springs, but its jaws are too big or fat for the front springs, anyone who has any ideas, advice or suggestions, would be appreciated, thx!

BTW, I am installing Neuspeed springs & Tokico's.
    The rears have been installed already.
    Last edited by miss_accord; 02-03-2005 at 07:26 PM.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX
    See if you can rent one that will fit at auto-parts store. They usually are free, just pay a deposite on it.

I have done without one using a floor jack with the car on jackstands. Put the floor jack under the lower control arm tight while you take the bolts out the lower control arm. ( that was on trucks & cars with springs between the frame and lower control arm)
    I don't recommend it, it is little dangerous for unexperience person.
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 05-20-2005 at 12:01 AM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    Quote Originally Posted by ddude2uc
    See if you can rent one that will fit at auto-parts store. They usually are free, just pay a deposite on it.

I have done without one using a floor jack with the car on jackstands. Put the floor jack under the lower control arm tight while you take the bolts out the lower control arm.
    I don't recommend it, it is little dangerous for unexperience person.

I'd rent one, or buy one at harbor frieght even if you have too. You could make( I made a thru style one last week) one with threaded rod and stuff but the time and all it be easy to rent one. And yeah there's alotta force in a spring don't catch one in the teeth.

wp

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    i've yet to find a spring compressor that works correctly on our springs. i did rent one from autozone and had to micky mouse the clamp so i could get it to take some pressure off. As long as you have something that keeps it from going flying you should be OK.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i
    tie down straps, yep just run one frome one coil of the spring to another and tighten it up and there ya go no more flying shit, Ive never done it but it sounds like it would work fine.
    my car is stock it just likes sittn lower to the ground than most cars:
    Lowes 3" CAI W/filter, hackd off mufflar, MSD Blaster 2 coil and bosch Platinum spark plugs&wires...she roars all the way to 6K

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    i dont know if im misunderstanding or not, but if you are installing NEW shocks with NEW springs, and you have stock stuff on there now, you dont need to separate the spring from the strut!!!

when i put my shit on all my stuff stayed together.

btw spring compressor is PROBABLY the best $40 i ever spend on a "tool" next to ratcheting wrenches...

i'm not familiar with neuspeed springs, but if they are a low enough drop you should be able to compress them yourself to get the nut on and then when they are in the car, and the car is off jackstands you can tighten them down.

thats the beauty of coilovers though, no more spring compressors for me!
    Last edited by bobafett; 02-06-2005 at 10:24 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 240sx FB,
    It's a bitch to compress lowering springs enough, at least for the fronts. On mine, we didn't use spring compressors, just weight and an impact wrench. Once you get the nut on a little bit by hand, hit it with an impact wrench and voila! Just get a big person to push down on the top of the spring/strut assembly so you can get that nut on.

Alex

Vehicle
    89' Accord LXI
    One slip could = alot of dental work without a spring compressor. If these guys say it can be done with out one i'm sure it can be done I just don't know if i would be up for it.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX
    I put neuspeed springs on my car and there is no way I could have done it without a spring compresser. Other springs maybe but I coudn't do it with mine.

Vehicle
    89' Accord LXI
    Quote Originally Posted by MattsAccord
    I put neuspeed springs on my car and there is no way I could have done it without a spring compresser. Other springs maybe but I coudn't do it with mine.
    do you still have the compressors by chance? If it worked good what brand and size is it. I would like to put new suspention on this summer.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX
    Quote Originally Posted by snow_man_20
    One slip could = alot of dental work without a spring compressor. If these guys say it can be done with out one i'm sure it can be done I just don't know if i would be up for it.
    Yeah bro, don't mess around trying to do without a spring compressor. You could loose your grille or worse, it is not worth the risk!

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX
    Quote Originally Posted by snow_man_20
    do you still have the compressors by chance? If it worked good what brand and size is it. I would like to put new suspention on this summer.
    Justin86 has them and we did have problem with the back ones, a little small but it still worked.

Vehicle
    87 3G RIP, 95 KA7, 95 5G Coupe
    hahahha! lose yo grill!

Vehicle
    89' Accord LXI
    Quote Originally Posted by MattsAccord
    Justin86 has them and we did have problem with the back ones, a little small but it still worked.
    you can get the big ones at schucks but i can't find the small ones.