Thread: Massive car problems.....Help

Vehicle
    1993 Toyota MR2 N/A

Unhappy Massive car problems.....Help

this all started two days ago, the rpms stay at a constant 2000 rpm, one of the belts has a crack on it, i found out today that i have the wrong transmission fluid in it , when i shift gears it stays at the previous rpm for like 3 seconds then drops, studders and knocks constantly, and when i shift to neutral it bounces between 1500 and 2000 about 5 times, so its like wtf, any ideas?, tomorrow im gonna give it a basic tune up, along with checking the cap and rotor, ummm, im getting a fuel system cleaning done by xpress lube and their gonna change the tranny fluid too, but i was hoping that the rpm crap was the timing cause thats cheaper to fix then the tranny right, well anywho please help me out thanks.

"I woke up in a japanese families wreck room,... And they would not stop yelling!.."

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lx-i, 1975 Chevrolet Malibu Classic
    The timing couldn't have changed if you didn't adjust it, to rule out that possibility. What kind of fluid did you put in the tranny? To me is sounds like a carb problem which I really have no experience with but I am sure someone can help you.
    75 Malibu for sale, fully restored, $5,500 obo
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=43055
    Currently driving a 95 LS soon to be turbo integra.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    try unscrewing the idle adjustment screw all the way so that it no longer presses on the throttle... see if that helps.

This is only temporary... and to see if you might be having problems with vacuum.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1993 Toyota MR2 N/A
    well i ended up paying 65 an hour for one hour for a place to look at it for me and then 40 to fix they said the carb needed to be retuned or something else i forget, and it needed to be cleaned, but yeah, its running good no probs but now it idles at 500 usually but i guess its cool as long as i dont have anything to worry about, and I need to find a k&n recharge kit cause its lookin tore up, oh yeah i didnt mention this but there was black stuff everywhere it was weird

"I woke up in a japanese families wreck room,... And they would not stop yelling!.."

i'm sure it's vacuum leaks. use carb cleaner to find it, spray around the choke/accelerator bracket on the carb, iit's probably leaking there, listen for changes in rpms while you spray around the carb
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX(x3)87LX(x1)86LXi(x1)
    best to learn the inns and outs of the accord carb system, otherwise it can become an aggravating money pit. Buy the silver shop book, it's all pretty well explained in there. Big fat flashlight is the other good investment..plenty of great stuff here on the topic, some things to remeber.... Plastic is brittle and expensive, a piece of new hose is cheaper then an air valve, a deadly sharp razor is your best friend when changing air lines.

of course you can wimp out and get a fuel injected one next time around...that's what i did! ( needed a new challange)