Thread: Difficulty of auto to manual swap

DX User

Difficulty of auto to manual swap

how hard ya'll think it is, also how expensive?

20 hrs tops. need basic metric tools and some mechanical skills. id plan from 200+ depending on which clutch you want

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer
    Speak for yourself, mines going on 7 months now, granted I ran into some other problems and stopped when it got to cold out. I doubt you will have the same luck I am having though. I think it's all for the better since the car is getting alot of work done to it.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    i did the swap in 2 days by my self. the hardest part is getting those pesky pedals in place. there aren't much room to move around. the best thing is to take the clutch pedal out and slide it back on when you have the whole thing mounted.
    Alex.

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89
    Compared to an injection convertion it's a real piece of cake. But no it's not hard to do. If you've got the tools, and all the parts you'll be fine.

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Vehicle
    '95 Supra, '08 CBR 600RR, '89 LX-i Coupe (R.I.P.), '88 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.), '87 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.)
    yah, it's pretty straight forward. if you can remove a tranny, then you'll be able to do it no problem. the most annoying part for me was bolting the troque rod and shifter and stuff together, since i had to reach up behind the exhaust and heatshield.., it was quite annoying to get to/at and i couldn't actually see what it was i was doing. pedals were annoying, but if you drop the entire sterring column.., it goes quite a bit more easily. good luck.
    Greg

1989 LX-i 2dr 5spd (R.I.P.)

2008 CBR 600RR -- 1995 Toyota Supra NA -- 2013 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x

lol plan 1 weekend
    just make sure you get the rear engine mount, starter bracket, driver side axle, and all the bolts/rubber that hold the shifter in the console. Also don't loose the flywheel bolts, the automatic's bolts won't fit and use locktite on them. The steering column and pedals are definately a pain in the ass and watch the razor-sharp bracket.
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

LXi User
    Vehicle
    87 LXi Hatch (5-speed)
    it took me 3 days, but if i had all the right tools and someone to help me line the tranny up when i was putting it in, it would have been much easier. Once you have all the tools, everything pretty much lines up. my problem was that the brake booster kept moving back when i tried putting the pedals in. damn that was annoying. oh, and i took the whole heat shield out too, and the battery is in the trunk, so that's more space to work with too.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Hatchbacik
    Took Me 3 Days And Wouldn't Ever Go Back To Automatic!!!! Yippee Skippee!!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Hatchbacik
    P.s. The Pedals Are Easy Too....lmao....for Me! Muah Muah Muah!

Vehicle
    '95 Supra, '08 CBR 600RR, '89 LX-i Coupe (R.I.P.), '88 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.), '87 LX-i Sedan (R.I.P.)
    oh yes, someone mentioned their battery in the trunk. mine isn't in the trunk(for my 4dr), but i removed it and the tray it sits on for more room. it's quite handy having that extra room. and yah, it took me about two full days(this was by myself), and i've dropped a tranny before. plan on a full weekend to do it, just in case. problems always arise of some sort. and yes, i wouldn't go back to auto, i hate auto's
    Greg

1989 LX-i 2dr 5spd (R.I.P.)

2008 CBR 600RR -- 1995 Toyota Supra NA -- 2013 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x

Vehicle
    ???
    If you have a complete parts car, your set! Its very self explanitory once you ger started! BEWARE, you will probably need a transfusion after putting in the pedals!
    I havent forgotten my roots