Thread: Help - trying to rewire directly to Headunit

DX User

Help - trying to rewire directly to Headunit

Hi all,

my amplifier (stock bose) in my 89 SEi recently died, and best buy wanted to charge me 120 to rewire the speakers directly to the headunit. so i decided to do it myself, even though i dont really know what i am doing. first i removed the amplifier and disconnected the wiring. then, I looked at the wiring diagram for the amplifier and spliced the rear speaker wires to the front audio input wires. so now, my rear speakers work. what i dont understand is where do the front speakers connect to the bose amplifier? in the 16 pin connector to the amplifier (C1-16) and the two 3 pin connectors from the amp to the rear speakers (D/E 1-3), there doesn't seem to be an output from the amplifier to the front speakers. i know this is a stupid question, but since i'm planning to sell the car in a few months, i just wanted to rewire it in the easiest fashion possible, so i thought that since the front speakers are wired to the amplifier, the best way would be to splice the speaker and headunit wires together. can someone explain this to me? thanks from a noob.

Vehicle
    Traded in: 1988 Accord LX New car: 04 Jetta GLI
    why dont you just pick up a small amp from ebay to replace it or somthing? it sound like that would be the easiest thing to do..... it seems like youre kind of far away from being able to do this so i dunno....what kind of head unit do you have?
    Kevin

DX User
    hi kevin,

i have a sony xplod head unit. i think the problem is that the honda amp and other amps have different harness connectors, so i'm not exactly sure how to go about this either.

Vehicle
    Traded in: 1988 Accord LX New car: 04 Jetta GLI
    OOO, well, hummmm.... i know that there is a wiring harness that you have to buy when you get a new head unit, and you tie/solder all the wires that are on the end if this harness to the harness that plugs into the head unit. I know if you take the opposite side(sex) of this harness (it would be where all the wires from the speakers connect into) and make sure all 8 of the speaker wires are in it... youll be good to go. Ill draw a picture if you want. Oh yea youll obviously have power(red)/ground(balck)/memmory(yellow) wires to hook up too. The little blue wire will not be needed, its to turn on an amp when the radio turns on.

OK, I know as a fact to replace stock amps you can get little connectors that turn the stock amp harness into rca outputs and then you just run power wire from the battery, then get a good ground spot and run ground wire there. Also youll need the little blue wire for this instance as well. I think this is more trouble than its worth, but then again you might have to run wire fromt he speakers to the hu......
    any questions... im here, you can pm me too.
    Kevin