Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dohc + vtec - engine mounts = ??

Vehicle
    Lx-i

Smile Dohc + vtec - engine mounts = ??

Yea i need to get a new motor for my accord, the thing is the person who is paying for it (my father), only wants a motor that does not require engine mounts BUT this engine must be dual cam (DOHC) and Vtec. well i know the vtec part of the engine shouldnt be to hard to do but the thing is i really dont know what cars have a dual cam 4 cylinder motor that will fit inside of my 89" Lx-i accord. even if i had to buy i new engine all together i wouldnt know what it is called. One other thing is that if i do find a dual cam motor (that is DOHC i think) it will have to be turbo charged applicable" {my prefferance}. IF some one could plz help me out here i would very much apprecaite it. plz make a list of cars that contain this type of motor if possible. And plz do with speed before he changes his mind

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box
    the only DOHC motor you're gonna get that doesn't need new mounts is the b20a from the japanese honda accord... you're not gonna bolt in a vtec motor...

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Get an A20A3 from an 87 - 89 Accord LX-i. Rebuild it, then turbo it. DOHC and VTEC are becoming distant memories and new fantasies in the 3rd gen Accord world.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    Lx-i
    SteveDX89 Get an A20A3 from an 87 - 89 Accord LX-i. Rebuild it, then turbo it.

I dont know if you read what i wrote, But i need a motor that is DOHC and VTEC, the turboing is optional. (well it is essential actually)

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Quote Originally Posted by ropponmatsu

I dont know if you read what i wrote, But i need a motor that is DOHC and VTEC, the turboing is optional. (well it is essential actually)
    DOHC and VTEC motors all require custom engine mounts. I read what you wrote but what you want is not possible.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by ropponmatsu

Steve did answer your question. There are only a few B20a available for the 3rd Gen. They were only made for Japan and Europe Accords "Gold Top & Black Top"

I believe that I bought the last available B20a "5" Speed on the east coast.

Your best bet is to build the current engine A20a3 for max HP.

But if you where serious, you should have seen the many threads available on this subject.

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH
    Phil

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX
    The SEARCH BUTTON is a magical thing.... I'm sorry, but this is all the board is lately... USE THE SEARCH BUTTON, please.

There is more then enough info on the board regarding the subjects you are asking about.

But plain and simple, there is no DOHC and Vtec motor which will mount in your accord without custom mounts, plain and simple.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Bucket
    ray fong is making bseries mount. just fyi. and yes, do search.

b16's and b18's come with dohc 4-bangin vtec. i don't know if ray is ready to sell those mounts yet tho.
    3geez for life.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250
    Swaps are not for people that 1) dont have a spare car or daily driver 2)Dont have extensive knowledge on honda's 3) have money. Swaps for the accord are not simple plug and play ordeals and if it were not for a few good members the existing swap parts would be worst to install. I have helped do 2 B-series swaps on the 3rd gen accord and its not something you can do in a weekend unless your very well prepared and know what your doing. Even my JDM B20A needed some minor adjustments and extra work so even that is not a simple ordeal but its as close as you can get.

Hopefully you dont take it the wrong way but you guys will thank me in the end. And those who have done it know exactly what im talking about.

Vehicle
    89' Accord LXI
    bottom line

Dohc + vtec - engine mounts = wet dream.

simple math

I would ask your father to buy you a new car if you want v-tec. Like a civic. It wont be better IMO, but it can be V-tek. Good luck

Vehicle
    Lx-i
    snow_man_20
    I would ask your father to buy you a new car if you want v-tec. Like a civic. It wont be better IMO, but it can be V-tek. Good luck
    Already ahead of you.
    But i still have questions. (1) How much would these engine mounts cost and (2) what is "IMO".
    Oh yea and RobT5580 you say that swaps arent for people whom have money?? Y?

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    The engine mounts are no longer available. When they were, they cost around $600.

IMO = in my opinion

I think Rob meant to say swaps aren't for people who don't have money.

Vehicle
    89' Accord LXI
    you really need to do a search, IMO = In My Opinion, and i think he ment not alot of money. The mounts arent made anymore and if thay are compleatly costom and are expensive. The drive shafts are also costom and expensive, the swap takes days not hours.

beat me by 3 min. I don't know how because it only took me a min to type the post.
    Last edited by snow_man_20; 02-15-2005 at 06:49 AM.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Quote Originally Posted by snow_man_20
    the swap takes days not hours.
    Try weeks. Don't ask how I know that.

Vehicle
    Lx-i
    well, i think im going to have to get rid of my 3g accord. i think that a newer civic wit DOHC TURBO and VTEC will be better IMO. and as for RobT5580 well I know you werent refering to me.

Vehicle
    89' Accord LXI
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDX89
    Try weeks. Don't ask how I know that.

Holy crap i must type slow, i was just trying to get a point across. I was thinking about 2 or 3 days to get it in and two weeks to get it running.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250
    Im just being very honest and most people getting into this are using their cars as a daily driver. And for Steve's car 3 of us worked on it and all brought different skills to the swap. And trust me iv had dreams since about 1997 when i got my first accord and im still not where i want to be. Its taken me this long to develop the project i did over the past year and a half.

If you want turbo and a vtec i would go with a 90-93 integra since they are relatively easy to find and you cut out all the bs with swapping. Im only here to help and i know what it takes and iv been learning over the past 8 years or so. And if i had a different car i can assure you it would be much closer to finished than my accord but i like the accord to much to swap cars.

Good luck!

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Quote Originally Posted by snow_man_20
    Holy crap i must type slow, i was just trying to get a point across. I was thinking about 2 or 3 days to get it in and two weeks to get it running.
    Sounds about right.

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX-i
    damn noobs insisting they know it all....
    '88 LX-i Coupe --- LS/Vtec
    '08 Accord EX-L 6-6 --- Daily Duty

Vehicle
    Lx-i
    88LXi68 damn noobs insisting they know it all....
    whos a noob?

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by 88LXi68
    damn noobs insisting they know it all....
    lol, i know right. they just seem to ask the wrong damn questions all the time. whats up with that?

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX-i
    Quote Originally Posted by smufguy
    lol, i know right. they just seem to ask the wrong damn questions all the time. whats up with that?
    I dont know if your trying to be sarcastic or not, but we have a SEARCH function on the site for a reason AND members responded to his question and yet he still insists "DOHC and VTEC SWAP". The quality of threads here really has gone downhill
    '88 LX-i Coupe --- LS/Vtec
    '08 Accord EX-L 6-6 --- Daily Duty

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    does your dad have some deep pockets or something? if so, why would you stick with a 4 cylinder? just a though, if your building a 4 cylinder turbo that you want to be a lasting engine, your going to have to spend some money. although you can build what i call a "throw away" engine. one that'll last a few years and need work all the time. see, a car you can buy brand new like many of the "tuner" cars they have out right now, you can be fast and make it faster and be more reliable. personally, i'd build my own engine. i like to do things myself. but even then it costs more than i'd want to spend.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by 88LXi68
    I dont know if your trying to be sarcastic or not, but we have a SEARCH function on the site for a reason AND members responded to his question and yet he still insists "DOHC and VTEC SWAP". The quality of threads here really has gone downhill
    yeah i was just joking. no matter how many times we ask these guys to use the search function, they always wanna ask that has already been asked. sometimes they throw a fit when we get upset at them.

anyway, this topic will be dead soon hopefully.......................

Vehicle
    Lx-i
    smufguy yeah i was just joking. no matter how many times we ask these guys to use the search function, they always wanna ask that has already been asked. sometimes they throw a fit when we get upset at them. anyway, this topic will be dead soon hopefully.......................
    WELL EXCUSE ME!!!! every one is so rude in these forums.

maybe one reason that every one is so rude here is because they all have 3g accords, who can blame youll, i would be an aggravated rude ***** too if i had to drive one of these crapy cars around all the time. with them breaking down all the time and with a lack of avalaible HP and the lack of girly interests in them and etc....