Thread: Carb Help... The ACCELERATOR PUMP

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord

Carb Help... The ACCELERATOR PUMP

I am rebuilding my 2 BBL carb from my 87 accord and I can not get any flow from the output of the accelerator pump to the top of the carb. Is there a safe way to clean this out or do I need to replace the carburetor.

Thanks in advance

Q

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    So you rebuilt the diaphragm?
    Did you install the:
    2 o-rings
    Diaphragm Return Spring
    Diaphragm Pusher Rod
    The linkage Spring and washers and cotter pin (make sure the spring isn't too weak)

You need a carb cleaner spray with the straw attatchment
    First remove the diaphragm cap/cover since this transfers the fuel to and from the diaphragm. Clean it out good... there are metal balls in one or both of the holes so tha may get in the way some but keep at it.
    Remove the top hat of the carb.
    You can clear the passage from the fuel bowl to the accel pump diaphragm all it is, is a hole
    You can also spray into the holes where the o-rings go... spray into the one that leads towards the primary barrel, you should see fuel exit out a silvery jet ringed by a brass colored part. Beside the accel pump port is the accel pump bleed which is a big brass colored disk a few mm to the right...
    Lastly clean out the jet that directs the fuel into the barrel
    - llia

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    So you rebuilt the diaphragm?
    Did you install the:
    2 o-rings
    Diaphragm Return Spring
    Diaphragm Pusher Rod
    The linkage Spring and washers and cotter pin (make sure the spring isn't too weak)

You need a carb cleaner spray with the straw attatchment
    First remove the diaphragm cap/cover since this transfers the fuel to and from the diaphragm. Clean it out good... there are metal balls in one or both of the holes so tha may get in the way some but keep at it.
    Remove the top hat of the carb.
    You can clear the passage from the fuel bowl to the accel pump diaphragm all it is, is a hole
    You can also spray into the holes where the o-rings go... spray into the one that leads towards the primary barrel, you should see fuel exit out a silvery jet ringed by a brass colored part. Beside the accel pump port is the accel pump bleed which is a big brass colored disk a few mm to the right...
    Lastly clean out the jet that directs the fuel into the barrel

The carb is completely disassembled and I can not get carb cleaner to flow from the hole where the accelerator pump mounts to to the brass part. It appears that the whole network is plugged up. I also can not get flow into the barrel from the output portion on the brass fitting. I am tempted to try to ream it out but I know that it may not work right if I get carried away.

Is is safe to say that the brass is the jet portion if that network... And is there a way to safely remove it so that I can carefully clean that passage out with a drill bit. I know this is risky but I think it is the only way to get it done. (Salvage the carberator I hope) The rest of the passages look good. but the accelerator pump portion is plugged up.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    hmm I doubt it those things are jammed in there tight...
    Also inside the accel pump passage leading up to the barrel there is some kind of metal sliding bit, silver... if you rattle around or hit the carb body against the palm of your hand like a tamborine sometimes you can hear it clink. But if yours is stuck you might not hear it.

Maybe you need compressed air, or a small rod with a few careful taps from a hammer.... if not then replace the carb... or rebuild an old one.

I have another idea but I need my camera to take pics.
    Last edited by A20A1; 02-21-2005 at 08:59 PM.
    - llia

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    hmm I doubt it those things are jammed in there tight...
    Also inside the accel pump passage leading up to the barrel there is some kind of metal sliding bit, silver... if you rattle around or hit the carb body against the palm of your hand like a tamborine sometimes you can hear it clink. But if yours is stuck you might not hear it.

Maybe you need compressed air, or a small rod with a few careful taps from a hammer.... if not then replace the carb... or rebuild an old one.

I have another idea but I need my camera to take pics.

Thanks

I got it cleared out. It went kinda like this spray---tap---spray---tap---spray---tap---
    spray---tap---spray---tap---spray---tap---
    spray in the eye---tap---etc, etc, etc

Thanks again
    Que