Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: PROJECT , TURBO ( adams86lxi )

Vehicle
    1988 LXI Sedan
    Retard 10 degrees min.. but you REALLY NEED BOOST CONTROL like the msd box.. Retarded timing puts more heat in the exhaust not to mention the extra preassure and heat from the turbo the exhaust vavles will see. A variable timing control system like the MSD box with an in-dash controler would be the best bet and mine was only $180.

System-f, are you planning to boost your A20? If so, what are you planning to do for engine management?
    Yes, right now a friend is looking at giving me his 88 LXI hatchback which happens to be the same color as my 87 LXI Hatchback (weird). The 88 is an auto which needs to be turned into a 5spd first...then I am not sure which one will get the turbo, probably the 87 since it's paint is faded and it looks like a POS. Nothing better than a 2500lb sleeper!

Hmm, as for the turbo setup, I really like the setup that adams is doing here and will probably start off low budget. I have a little bit of tig welding under my belt so I might try and build a manifold, although purchasing one and converting it like adams has done would be easier.

turbo will probably be a T3 and move to a T3/4 later on.
    at first I will go with a fuel riser system and MSD boost control to see exactly how bad it runs... I might stay with that for awhile, but eventually want to convert over to a chipable ecu, chip it, and burn my own chips. My current engine has 260k on it and runs too good, but i think under the 8psi I plan to run on the engine intercooled of course that it won't last all that long unless I just run it richer than dog chit..then i might get 30k more before the rings let go. I really want to build an A motor and since I have the local machine shop around here that does a lot of custom and strange import motor work I think I can get it done. The treatment they can do to the rods alone is amazing... find someone to make me some lower compression pistons... maybe even try to build a crank girdle. I am not sure...it's all in the future and on hold for my 1st love..

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    Houston, Texas (Home of the Quicksilver project)
    Sounds good. By the way, nice to see another Texan; welcome aboard.
    "Feed their greed with your need for speed"

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI 5speed
    im guessing im going to need colder plugs too then. Where should i get them at? Would Autozone have colder ones? I need some for a 88-89 prelude thats what works on the b20a.
    http://www.myspace.com/3364524

b20accord SN on honda-tech,homemadeturbo,clubcivic,turbod16, and many more

Vehicle
    and damn, im still waiting for my stupid bov. The guy hasent even shipped it out and it has been 11 days since i payed for it. It keeps saying he needs to accept the paypal payment but he claims he has. Grrrrrrrrrr i want that shit!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    yeah youll need colder plugs if going unintercooled... look around even online
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    1988 LXI Sedan
    If you have a napa auto parts, go there Adams. Napa guys are usually much more helpful. I forgot what the colder range is for the B20A motor but it was listed in my haynes manual for my prelude.. when I get home I will see if I still own that thing.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250
    I think the 6's maybe 7's are Napa#1095 NGK# BCPR6EY-N-11 but if you want a higher number they will call NGK and get the napa# on the phone since they dont use NGK numbers. I would do that soon since i had to order mine since its not a common plug. That is not the irrodium plug im running now so if you want better plugs ask for the irrodium version but theyre like $30 for the set.

Vehicle
    alright after some problems with ebay i finally got my bov on the way.

Im listening to you guys and i have decided im going to get a fmic. I dont want to blow this engine up right away. I want a front mount but i have no idea how you turbo guys here fit that thing up in the front there. Also does anyone have any good dimensions for one that will fit good? Now remember im not going to run crazy boost so a smaller front mount will work fine.

Now i got a question. I was going to use my cold air intake the exact way it is right now with some better clamps and hoses. But i was thinking maybe i could use this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38634

I was thinking i could just connect the one end of this to where my cold air goes into the bumber and maybe this silicone tubing would give me alittle flex to go from the cold air to the intercooler and the same for the other side. Just run piping to the holes in the body on both sides and then get some of these and flex them alittle to connect to the intercooler? Will these things give me any flex???

Also if someone is selling a intercooler or has a link to some cheap ones let me know!

Vehicle
    The IC is a pain in the ass to work out and i would say mine is pretty much as big as you can go before you have to do some major cutting. Granted i still had to do some cutting with mine but it fits nicely behind the bumper.

As for those tubes i would think you can use it but dont quote me on that but i know factory cars use some but relatively short ones.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    adam, your best bet is to get the aluminized exhaust tubing from JCW or Summit and doing it on ur own and get silicone couplers and use the high pressure hose clamps.

I dont recommend the use of just all silicone tubing since they flex and they are not bendable like u think u might. They have re-infoced weave on them also, u need to bolt the Charge pipes down so that they dont move.

Vehicle
    theyll give you a little flex but not much. if you need to get a silicone hump transition. I dont have one and neither does anybody else i know... but if you need one, get one. Use some aluminized u or J bends. The situation that rob described describes my experience with the intercooler to a T

Vehicle
    hmm, Hey rob what are the dimensions on your intercooler?? And does anyone have any websites with good prices for one?

I was thinking about getting one from johnny race car but i think there 5 inch tall one is like 33 inches long. That seems to long!

Vehicle
    the johnny racecar one is just fine... i used one from

www.speedpartsrus.com

click on catalog, then scroll down and click on intercoolers,

I have the first one listed in the box, the street show intercooler 31x6x3

handmade internally finned great workmanship

I think that the main difference between JRC and and custom coach is that JRC uses cut down used cores (i think) and custom coaches are new... not sure if there is any significant difference between the 2

Vehicle
    alright cool. I got some stainless steel -4an line, i just ordered from ebay. Now i need to find a oil feed adapter. I need a -4an male to a 10mm x 1.5 male adapter. Does anyone know where i can find one of those???? I found one on a sight but it is out of stock!

Thats what it looks like.

Also i was talking to this guy that works at autozone that has a 12 second eclipse and he was checking out everything i was doing with my car and he told me that even though my turbo was meant to be oil and water cooled, he said i didnt need to have the water part hooked up at all? He said he has left his open on all his turbos and never had a problem. Is this true? what do you guys think? I remember reading it somewhere you could do that but i dont know?

Vehicle
    yeah you can leave the water not hooked up... the turbo lasts longer when you have the water hooked up but it doesnt really hurt it if you dont have it hooked up, just wait like 30 seconds to let the turbo cool down before turning the car off, the oil will bring the turbo tempurature down so it doesnt coke up the centersection of the turbo

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    adam, check one of the old turbo threads, we were talking about this fitting that went right where the oil pressure switch is, and had an outlet to feed the turbo. U might also wanna get an external oil cooler.

Turbo timers will save u lots of headache. I have seen my freind at work get a brand new Blitz and Greddy for 50 and 75 bux each.

Vehicle
    alright i finnaly got my dsm bov in after having to wait like a month for it! I gave it a coat of flat black paint and took off that nasty greed color the bov was.

Now this is the stuff i need if anyone knows a good site for these things let me know!

Intercooler-im just going to get the johnny race car 5 inch
    -a few of 2 inch to 2 1/2 inch silicone hose connecters
    -abunch of just 2 inch silicone hose connectors
    -that damn -4an male to a 10mm x 1.5 male adapter oil fitting adapter
    -abunch of 2 inch madrel bent piping 90 degree bends and 180 with some straight ones too.
    -

Vehicle
    summit or jcwhitney have good bends... check your local muffler shop too. Nice bov. A turbo timer isnt totally nessecery, if you idle before shutting the car down it wont make a difference. If you run water cooling in the turbo also, you wont need it.

DX User
    just wondering guys.. would the h22 manifold fit onto a b20a on an 89 prelude?

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by SECUR1TY
    just wondering guys.. would the h22 manifold fit onto a b20a on an 89 prelude?
    Well the b20a5 from the prelude and the accord b20a stud holes are just a little different. So i would guess it would fit with alittle modification. Just get a exhasut gasket from both and compare them to see how far they are off.

Vehicle
    well i found that stupid oil adapter thing i needed. It took awhile but i found it. I found it at a local all domestic performace shop. I walk in and they said we dont carry anything metric lol. Then they said they could order it for me though so i ordered it.

funny thing adam most newer cars are all metric. just tell them im loooking for this thing. Ill bet it would have been cheaper also.

Vehicle
    You can order the Tuner Toys fitting which worked good for the B20A. But your in cali so i would think you'd have more import shops around.

Vehicle
    yeah... thats an excellent fitting... its in the tunertoys/stealthmode oil line kit

Vehicle
    well i already got all of my oil lines and fittings comming now so i think it should all work ill just have to wait till i have everything infront of me. LOL and rob there are tons of import shops around but i hate going to all of them because they dont seem to know what im talking about or they are rediculously expensive!

BTW:Can i use heater hose for the oil pan return?