Thread: Pics & help putting Koni strut together

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Pics & help putting Koni strut together

I have some Koni struts I've been putting in. I couldn't find nothing on a search. I need a pic of how the Koni strut goes together with the foam thing & the washer (thin one on top) . Do I use some of the bushings off the old strut or what? My strut is about the pop out the top mount when I push down on it. Thanks.

*edit* This is on the front
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 03-09-2005 at 11:02 AM.

Vehicle
    93 civic
    you use the original top hat, and the foam thing is a bumpstop if I interpreting what you saying right. There are two rubber bushings that hold the hat together and I do not know if your konis came with new ones or not, but you need one bushing on top and one on bottom in order to prevent the strut bolt to pop out when you are placing it in the car.

I think that is what you are looking for. my konis didn't come with bushings so I will have to either get new ones or use the ones that came with my tokicos.

Basically you need to to have the two 7's and 15 from your old struts. I'm guessing 14 is the foam thing you are talking about..

Good luck. Im not exactly sure what you are asking but that picture might help you ask a more detail question on what you are looking for.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX
    Thanks Busted.

The only thing that came in the box was the bumpstop, dust cap thing, ring for the bottom of the spring & one that looks like it goes on top of the bumpstop & nut for the top.
    The instructions suck that it came with. I guess I can use the bushings off the original strut. It also had a ring like #9, but looks like it could only fit on the bumpstop. I'm going to print that diaghram out & see if I can figure it out. I hate that I have to pull all that out again, oh well.
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 03-09-2005 at 10:55 PM. Reason: wrong part #

Vehicle
    1986 lxi 4 handle, 77 gmc 4x4, 97 astro van on 18's,98 Honda Shadow Aero 1100
    Wow Dereck, you need to post pics when you get it done!!!
    http://members.cardomain.com/3gn86lxi
    ~Ryan~
    Custom STEEL z3 fenders, and true HID

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    I just took the parts off my stock strut and transfered them right over. The whole upper mount in one piece.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    86 EXi(sold), 89 SE-i auto, 89 SE-i 5spd
    I haven't changed struts before, but I will be putting my Konis in next month. I'm concerned about a part that isn't numbered in the diagram so I hope you can figure out what I'm talking about.

I'm refering to the lower 'platform' that the bottom of the spring rests on. I think it's sometimes called a cup, but although mine looks exactly like the one in the diagram it isn't much of a 'cup.' Do I need to add anything for the spring to stay in place? I'm just concerned that there is no lip around the circumference of the platform. I'm a suspension noob, so I might be missing something obvious.
    Perfection is simply a matter of replacing parts.

Vehicle
    93 civic
    are you talking about the spring perch? I have konis with the spring perch on it, but others here don't have the spring perch. If you have the new ones, you have all the parts you need. There is a metal bracket that goes at the bottom in place of the spring perch I believe.

https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?...ighlight=konis

here is a thread I made about two different types of front konis. The pic in that thread should guide you.

Vehicle

mechanic says WTF?

after i got my struts out, I didn't have anything to compress the spring, because my spring tool doesn't fit. so I decided to just drop everything off with my mechanic before going to work so he could disassemble the old assembly and reassemble it with my H&R / Konis.

But when I went to pick them up, he was like WTF?

We aren't clear on how the yellow foam bump-stop is supposed to go on. Do you have to force it past that nub on the shaft? And what's up with the white plastic washer? The instructions are really vague.

edit: I found this
    http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=891136

they had to drill the bumpstop out to fit on the shaft. did you guys have to do anything like that?
    Last edited by Not like a rock; 05-13-2005 at 12:37 AM.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    You just force it on. I don't remember what I did with the plastic washer tho. I don't think I used it.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    I set the plastic wash directly above the shock body around the shaft. I forced on the bump stop past the welded on lip after cutting about 3/8" off the square and. I forget whether I put it tapered end pointing up or down. I think the instrutions specified--I could check if you're curious.
    Mike

Vehicle
    ok. thanks guys. I think the uber generic instructions that came with the struts show the tapered end up, which seems to make sense, though it is probably the hardest way to force the bumpstop on...which makes sense.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX
    I put that white color washer looking thing on shaft above the shock body . I think it keeps dirt off somewhat. I had to use the old bushings that go on top of the strut. I put the bumpstop (foam thing) tapered end facing up. I didn't force it past the lip though.
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 05-13-2005 at 08:43 AM.