Thread: Quick, simple electrical question...

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

Quick, simple electrical question...

92 Accord, but probably universal answer. I'm putting an OEM spoiler on the 4g. I will run the wires for the LED brake lights in the spoiler to the high mount brake light in the back window. I don't want to disconnect that high mount brake light, but will tapping into it with the spoiler lights "dim" either one of them?? Just checking to see if there will be any problems with doing that or if it should be fine and bright after the install. Thanks!

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    Quote Originally Posted by offthahook
    92 Accord, but probably universal answer. I'm putting an OEM spoiler on the 4g. I will run the wires for the LED brake lights in the spoiler to the high mount brake light in the back window. I don't want to disconnect that high mount brake light, but will tapping into it with the spoiler lights "dim" either one of them?? Just checking to see if there will be any problems with doing that or if it should be fine and bright after the install. Thanks!
    Shouldn't be any problem LED's draw far less current then regular car bulbs.

wp

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,
    If it's an OEM spoiler, doesn't it have the plug that fits an extra plug on the passenger tailight? That's what my factory spoiler on the 4th gen hooks up to. If it's just a good replica with no plug, it should be fine tapping the wires on the high mount light. Also, there's a relay by the power antenna on factory intalled spoilers that will lower the antenna as soon as you pop the trunk. When you open the trunk when the antenna is up, the spoiler will hit the antenna.
    www.b20accord.com

SEi User
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by YK86
    If it's an OEM spoiler, doesn't it have the plug that fits an extra plug on the passenger tailight? That's what my factory spoiler on the 4th gen hooks up to. If it's just a good replica with no plug, it should be fine tapping the wires on the high mount light. Also, there's a relay by the power antenna on factory intalled spoilers that will lower the antenna as soon as you pop the trunk. When you open the trunk when the antenna is up, the spoiler will hit the antenna.

Good lookin' out!! Yes, I have the relay to lower the mast. This is an OEM spoiler (ebay, used). I just have a couple inches of wire-- grn/yellow and black. I know there is a plug "somewhere" for these two wires. I've heard the driver and pass. tail both. YK, if you could snap some pics. of the wiring in your trunk, that would be titties! Also, does that relay near the power antenna run to the trunk light?? Peep this thread and maybe hook me up with some info. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=17199 I can't get the Honda Accessory instructions yet (just the 94-97 Accord spoiler). Basically, I have all the parts; I just need some technical info like wherespecifically the wires go and the routing. I can get it to work, but I wanna keep it clean and factory looking. Thanks!

Vehicle
    I finally had a chance to get some pics. Here's the harness on the passenger side. A big mess of wires and I'm a bit too tired now to be looking at what goes where but hopefully, this will help a bit.

I'm guessing that on cars with no spoilers, there is only one plug (the one on the very right in the first pic)like the driver's side on mine. But when you have the spoiler and harness, you get the spoiler wires coming from the side panel, a female plug that the original tailight plug from the chassis goes into, which diverts power to feed the spoiler and another plug that goes to the actual tailight. Now, the thing taped in blue (not sure what it is but it's from the factory like that) is probably for adjusting the current so the brake light warning lamp doesn't come on. It was defiently setting off the warning lamp on mine before (I had to remove it to fix the LED).

And this is the driver's side. All I have there is one plug.

For the relay, there is a wire coming from the back panel (where the speakers are, we'll call this plug #1). That can be connected directly to the antenna motor. But instead on mine, I got another harness where it plug #1 connects to a different plug (Plug #2). The lines from plug #2 lead to another one by the relay (Plug #3, relay is mounted on the lower bolt of the antenna motor). The lines then come back to the where Plug #1 is and connects to the power antenna motor. The antenna retracts as soon as the switch for the trunklight on the trunk latch releases. Sorry if my explanation sucks.

If worst comes to worst, you can check out the wiring diagram on these online shop manual pdf files (you should bookmark it if you haven't seen it before, very handy!).
    http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/AccordManual/index.html
    Last edited by YK86; 03-14-2005 at 12:52 AM.
    www.b20accord.com

SEi User
    Vehicle
    Thanks. It does help!

Vehicle
    Glad I could help. Let me know if you need more info or pics.
    www.b20accord.com