Thread: burning a quart of oil with each tank of gas?

DX User

burning a quart of oil with each tank of gas?

HI GUYS

Im getting an 86 accord from a freind of the family for free... Only thing wrong with it is that it needs a new distibutor shaft and for some reason it burns a quart of oil about every tank of gas.... Any ideas as to what could cause that...????

Thanks a bunch and i'll be hanging around here alot now.

Vehicle
    '87 Carbed Hatch(RIP), 88 FI sedan w/ power group, '73 Jag w/ 350lump
    Are you sure its burning out? does it smoke out the exhaust? it could be a leak....

If its burning internally it sounds like valve seals or maybe piston rings to me..... I'd recommend pulling the head and getting a valve job done... a good time to replace your head gasket too.
    Other than that... for a free car you could try using a heavier grade oil.. that should burn out slower. Not as good for the engine, but it sounds like it won't hurt too much.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard;
    And the stupid people are breeding......

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluebead

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,
    If it's actually burning, then it's time for a good used engine. But having a ton of bad gaskets or a leaky oil pan bolt might cause it to lose alot of oil as well.
    www.b20accord.com

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord Lx
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBead
    Are you sure its burning out? does it smoke out the exhaust? it could be a leak....

If its burning internally it sounds like valve seals or maybe piston rings to me..... I'd recommend pulling the head and getting a valve job done... a good time to replace your head gasket too.
    Other than that... for a free car you could try using a heavier grade oil.. that should burn out slower. Not as good for the engine, but it sounds like it won't hurt too much.
    how much would this cost????????

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    On a free car I'd run it a while and "see what shakes loose" as we say. Oil is cheap check it alot. I wouldn't dump money into till it proves out to be a good ride. I didnt see your lo-cal but if it wont pass emissions then your sunk. And oil burners usually dont.

wp

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lx-i, 1975 Chevrolet Malibu Classic
    Well it is probably the rings since that is a whole lot of oil to burn, could also be combined with the head leaking oil into the combustion chamber. If the car was properly maintained and has had things like suspension work done to it, and it relatively not too rusty, I would replace the engine since getting a used one installed should be less than $800 if you find a cheap place to do it. If the tranny has any problems that would be an additional $100 at least, so if it is worth it to you go for it but if not, don't.
    75 Malibu for sale, fully restored, $5,500 obo
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=43055
    Currently driving a 95 LS soon to be turbo integra.

DX User
    The guy said its actaully burning the oil... I havent got a chance to look at the car myself yet... gotta wait until i have a day off work to go pick it up. But i was already thinking about dropping a new engine when i can get the cash together. Although i was thinking about dropping something more powerfull in it but since finding this site it seems like that would be extremly expensive to do. If the car runs strong i may just throw on a bodykit and get a paint job.
    Last edited by MyFree86Accord; 03-18-2005 at 11:38 PM.

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,
    If you don't see a puddle of oil under the car, then it probably is burning it. Is it smoking even after it warms up?? If it blows out blueish smoke when you rev it, the rings are gone.
    www.b20accord.com