Thread: 88 accord dumped oil, how to find source?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

88 accord dumped oil, how to find source?

So I'm new, obviously, and I've been reading thru old posts. Seems maybe I have the oil filter base seal leak or something major. Lost all the oil in one go. Anyway, so from what I've read, there are at least three seals to check... so once I get my car towed home and crawl under it... what's the best way to figure out where it's coming from? I'm assuming hose it down with some degreaser... put oil in it and watch... anything else?

The other question is... so my car dumped all the oil, and I didn't realize it, drove it down the road. Oil light comes on... anyway, it basically just shut down and died. It will crank but won't start again. Has anyone experienced this??
    Thanks...

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX 88 Accord LXi
    Welcome. Your oil drain plug on the oil pan might of come loose. That's what I would check first. Pretty sure it's normal not to start without oil. There is an oil pressure switch and if it doesn't sense pressure I think it opens circuit to ignition.

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac
    Welcome. Your oil drain plug on the oil pan might of come loose. That's what I would check first. Pretty sure it's normal not to start without oil. There is an oil pressure switch and if it doesn't sense pressure I think it opens circuit to ignition.
    Don't run it without oil in it. Like the commercial says "its the life blood of your car" no blood no good. Get it towed home or to a shop you use. Possilble the oil filter burst also or you hit something and poke a hole in your oil pan.

wp

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX
    So far, the oil pan looks fine and the drain plug is intact. Looks like the main source of oil is coming from above the pan. Got it home, but it's raining and dark, so I'll crawl under tomorrow and find out. It's just so sudden. I just drove the car across the state and back this week, then I start it to drive down the road and lose all the oil at once. Anyway, thanks for the thoughts, I'll let you know what I find out!

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,
    You could have blown out a seal somewhere. A friend had her balance shaft seal pop out on her 92 Lude ruining the timingbelt and balance shaft belt and lost pretty much all the oil in a matter of minutes. We don't have those in our cars but it could be something else like a main seal. Good luck with it and let us know what you find tommorrow.
    www.b20accord.com

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX
    Well, the car gods are with me today... it stopped raining and didn't snow, so I was able to get under the accord and see where my leak is. Definitely coming from behind the oil filter. Guess I'll start with replacing the oil filter base seal and hope that does it. Funny, I was going to do an oil change today anyway, looks like I'll be getting dirtier than planned. Better hit the books and figure out how to get up in there and find all the bolts to the base of the filter. CV

Vehicle
    2010 Ford Taurus SEL, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    How long since your last oil change? Just wondering because I know from time to time the O ring on the filter will come off and stick to the base. People dont notice the O ring off the filter is gone, go to put on a new one and it doesnt seal up right because theres 2 O rings. I doubt the housing seal would leak THAT bad to where you'd lose all your oil.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX
    I just bought the car a week and a half ago. The girl said that she had the oil changed every 3k, so I'm assuming it was done somewhat recently, but I have no idea when. I'll know it will get done this time since there's no oil in it! I'll check when I put the new filter on though, thanks!

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    Quote Originally Posted by FerretGirl
    I just bought the car a week and a half ago. The girl said that she had the oil changed every 3k, so I'm assuming it was done somewhat recently, but I have no idea when. I'll know it will get done this time since there's no oil in it! I'll check when I put the new filter on though, thanks!

I agree with Vinny the seal from the oil filter can stick in the housing check that first its easy.

wp