Thread: building carb intake

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX Action

building carb intake

sine ive finally fixed my oil leak, im, gonna start on my long awaited intake. ive got a k&n cone air filter with 2.5 inch inlet, 2.5 inch flexible exhaust piping, and some clamps. now i just need to figure out how i can make a good airbox, that will fit under the hood. anyone have any ideas? its not gonna be cold air for now, just a short intake. if it comes out good and works, maybe ill right a howto.
    real 3geez http://www.3g-generation.com

i sold the honda. now working on a car with little bit more potential, an 88 supra. i still stop by occasionally.

1988starter
    I remember A20A1 made one with a cup 2 screwholes and a inlet he welded on you should checkout his website

<======( ) kind of like this yea I know the drawing sucks.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    87 Accord DX Hatchback 5 Speed
    well, you need a base, I guess round, slightly larger than 3 1/4 "
    I.D. , cut to the right height so that you can use the screen plate
    that is stock to secure it to the carb itself, then a shelf cut to the
    O.D. of the base, mounted to the base slightly lower than the top, but high enough to be above the float screw and the vapor vent assembly, and then the box itself mounted on the shelf. I have not drawn up any pix yet, but I've been thinking about this
    also. Ideally all this would be some type of metal, which is gonna be hard to do without custom fab, but maybe a real hard plastic would work, something that will withstand the temps. yeah, do a how-to so I'll be able to finally figure it out.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    the damn top hat of the carb is riddled with screw holes and ports... it's a bit hard to mount a flat metal peice to the carb... I just made a wall for the right side of the carb and the left side had the outlet so I made a flat base that extended beyond the throttle linkage and choke.
    - llia

LXi User
    Vehicle
    I did some really rough drawings of my idea on this. what holds the assembled box to the carb is the two screws & screen that is stock on the carb. the screen when tightened will clamp down on the base of the box. The top of the box will be able to be removed in order to remove the base. Like I said, very quick drawing this a.m. to give a idea of where I'm coming from. Hope that it is understandable.

http://87accord.com/image/carbbox.jpg

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    So you are making a base plate?

The trouble with the base plate it the float screw and the float bowl vent tube... the left side of the carb is pretty clear or obstructions though.

the nicest intake was made by JDBallin... his used the cup and the flexable exhaust pipe...

but the inlet for the intake isn't as big as I would have made it.

his intake is for sale I believe
    - llia

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX Action
    i was contemplating the cup idea, but how does it lock on top of the carb? or does it just cover it without being tight?

o crap, i just reliazed that a20a1, your the one who showed me this picture of the intake with the cup and flexible pipe about 2 months ago. that basically what im trying to make.

Last edited by staticpat; 08-08-2002 at 11:30 AM.

i sold the honda. now working on a car with little bit more potential, an 88 supra. i still stop by occasionally.

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    why not just use the stock air box, build up the rim so it touches the hood, split some rubber fuel line and run it around the rim, build a scoop and then voila, you have a functional hood scoop. thats what im thinkin of doin.
    Travis
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX
    hey staticpat what kind of tubing did u but and where did u b it from?
    stainless steel custom 2.5" magnaflow catback exhaust,K&N air filter, NGK spark plugs, MSD spark plug wires, and MSD ignition, flipped air lid and removed wall in air intake :badass:

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX
    i meant to say what kind of tubing did u buy and where did u buy it from?
    stainless steel custom 2.5" magnaflow catback exhaust,K&N air filter, NGK spark plugs, MSD spark plug wires, and MSD ignition, flipped air lid and removed wall in air intake :badass:

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX Action
    im gonna try to build a cup to go over top of it, with a link off to the side for the pipe, but how tall can it be? im gonna go to lowes and try to find something. also what do i do with all the vaccums and crap i unhooked?

oh and you can get the flexible exhaust tubing from any automotive store, its used for repairing tailpipes.
    Last edited by staticpat; 08-06-2002 at 12:32 PM.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
    why not just use the stock air box, build up the rim so it touches the hood, split some rubber fuel line and run it around the rim, build a scoop and then voila, you have a functional hood scoop. thats what im thinkin of doin.
    Travis
    i have to agree with you man, i think this is the way to go on carbed accord.
    i don't think it is going to be hard. i think i am gonna try on my spare accord. if it is gonna work i will do on my car.
    the only problem i see is that how are you going to clean that air.
    you will have to find somekind flat airfilter or something like that.
    Alex.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    got a question on the hood scoop idea, what happens when it rains or you wash the car?

1988starter
    their are foam filters you can put in a hood scoop to keep out rain.

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    you can put a screen over the carb opening and put some porus
    foam in the scoop. i think i may do this soon
    Travis
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX Action
    ok im done, i made a cup out of some tin air conditioning stuff, and have another piece out the side to the piping. i sealed all the holes with muffler repair goo. now what do i do with all the vaccums and other tubes i disconnected, the car stalls out after 2 seconds. i know i dont need the cold start sensor or the tube from the exhaust manifold, and i can put a breather on the tube that comes out the valve cover, but what about the others? thanksss
    Last edited by staticpat; 08-06-2002 at 10:12 PM.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX Action
    ok all done fixing the connections. heres the intake, go to carb tech section for descriptions of what i did with the tubes. man this intake works good, huge increase in power, and the engine bay looks cooler, i would reccomend it to all.

Last edited by staticpat; 08-08-2002 at 11:28 AM.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 LX Action
    im vain so im gonna make this go back to the top

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Originally posted by shepherd79

i have to agree with you man, i think this is the way to go on carbed accord.
    i don't think it is going to be hard. i think i am gonna try on my spare accord. if it is gonna work i will do on my car.
    the only problem i see is that how are you going to clean that air.
    you will have to find somekind flat airfilter or something like that.

Thats what you get when you try to bring the air cleaner to the air and no the air to the air cleaner.

it you were to cut a large rectangular hole in the front or rear of the filter box lid. you could then rivit an extension to meet the hood... still using the fuel line to act as a soft gasket.

this would work best with a subaru style hood scoop because they have a rectangular base.

seal off the other intake port on the air box... and seal off the PCV filter... buy a smaller filter and stick it on the vlave cover.
    - llia

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Dx
    I know i may be a lil late on this post but wouldnt it be cool if someone just opened a hole in there hood and connect one of those cone filters to the carb. just like that HEHEHEHHE ..>=P