Thread: air/fuel mixture screw

Vehicle
    96 Civic (Turbo lsvtec) /87 accord lx/95 civic dx

air/fuel mixture screw

ok i did the vacuum removal ... the car runs now (after 6 months because im an idiot) anyway... the car starts/idles/drives fine... but in the how to it says to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw on the back of the carb... when you screw it in the idle should drop (or rise i cant remember) but when i screw it in or out nothing happens at all to the idle... i could screw it all the way in .... then take it out and the idle dosent change at all .... any ideas?..... also ... i know there is a bracket that holds the throttle cable.... but i cant find mine... anyone have a spare laying around ?
    Jay

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuspeed87lx
    ok i did the vacuum removal ... the car runs now (after 6 months because im an idiot) anyway... the car starts/idles/drives fine... but in the how to it says to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw on the back of the carb... when you screw it in the idle should drop (or rise i cant remember) but when i screw it in or out nothing happens at all to the idle... i could screw it all the way in .... then take it out and the idle dosent change at all .... any ideas?..... also ... i know there is a bracket that holds the throttle cable.... but i cant find mine... anyone have a spare laying around ?
    No cable bracket... how are you driving the car?

well the a/f mixture if everything is working right should raise the idle then drop the idle when the mixture becomes too lean or too rich.

Thing is you did the vacuum removal mod... and I assume it was Shepherd79's one where you remove the ABC's air jet controller... removing this could end up richening the mixture no matter where the A/F screw is.

Other things that could keep you from getting any changes in the idle when you adjust the A/F screw is too high a throttle... with the throttle is open too much the carb is not on the idle circuit fully or at all so you don't get the full use of the fuel from the a/f idle screw.

I have a spare bracket somewhere... I'll let you know if I find it...
    - llia

Vehicle
    the idle is prefect... about 1100 in park.... around 750-800 in gear....i have a ghetto rigged piece of metal that i rigged thats holding the throttle cable now... it works for now but when i floor it the cable pops out.... lol... and yes the air jet controller is removed..
    Jay

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Basily you set the distributor to tdc then add only the #2 advance to the distributor... make sure the car is fully warm... drop the idle to around 1,000 rpm and check the vacuum to make sure you are pulling around 22"

then go and set the a/f mix screw and listen for a change in idle, it should go up as the mixture is richned when you turn the screw out. Then it will drop if the mix gets to saturated... but I've neved had that happen.
    - llia

Vehicle
    another question for you .... if i let the car sit over night... the next day i try to start it ...it will start... then stall.... start then stall... then i can finally get it to run ... i hold the gas so it runs at about 2500 rpm and hold it there for a min ... then let off and idles fine after that .... would that be associated with the air/fuel screw not being adjusted ?
    Jay

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    well, depends how cold the car is... you removed the choke and choke plate too yeah?
    - llia

Vehicle
    yup
    Jay