Thread: Symptoms of a bad trans?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX

Symptoms of a bad trans?

Well, after changing the trans oil (Quaker state SAE 30), i drove the car and it still has a whine when its in 5th gear (kinda similar to the whine when in reverse). Its intersting, because when i let off the gas, it pretty much goes away. Anyhow, i decided to go through some old recipets that came with the car. Heres what 1 said:
    Prob: "jumps out of 5th gear"
    how they fixed the problem: "tightened up gear train inside tranny- $90".
    Is this even possible? what would you tighten up inside the trans? Or is this just BS? Anyhow, any ideas on what could be making the noise, or what is wrong would be great. Im getting scared that im gonna lose 5th!......

Vehicle
    89 LXi 5spd Coupe Sunroof
    well 5th is definitely going out, and when it does you will know it. My tranny made the same noise when it was about to go, you might be able to find a shop to get 5th replaced. I did that once and it was 250, but a few years later everything went bad so you have 2 options. Fix 5th if you dont plan to keep the car forever or just go ahead and replace the whole tranny which will be around 1000 unless you know what you're doing. good luck, try not to use 5th unless you're on the highway
    CAI, DC Header/Strut Bar, Pacesetter Exhaust, NGK Wires/Iridium Plugs, Accel SS Coil, Neuspeed Springs/Tokico Struts, SE-i Alloy Rims/Cupholder/Armrest, Reverse Glow Gauges, H4's, Clear Corners/Bumper Lenses

SOLD $500 Apr 2007

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    i believe you can replace the fifth gear without taking the tranny out.
    if i was you i wouldn't use SAE 30. it is not meant for honda trannies. shop manual recomends using regular motor oil 10w-30, but i would add some of that lucas oil in there too.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    '87 Carbed Hatch(RIP), 88 FI sedan w/ power group, '73 Jag w/ 350lump
    My tranny is at the same point; I'm just waiting for it to go b4 replacing it.
    from what I've heard you can open up the tranny from the outer end and replace 5th.
    OEM honda transmission fluid! I'm using lucas but it doesn't seem to do lots, so I'll try synchromesh next time I change the oil (assuming 5th is still there)
    good luck; post what happens!
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard;
    And the stupid people are breeding......

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluebead

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX
    Well, i chose to go with the SAE 30 oil, because the car will most likely never see anywhere below 30 degrees (ambient). I am going to be living in Phoenix, Arizona over the summer so i need the protection (100+ degrees). The manual said 30 was fine according to the chart......so whats wrong with SAE 30?
    BLUE BEAD- how many miles have you put on your car so far with the 5th gear noise?
    Thanks for everyones input!