Thread: JDM Accord B20a vs USDM Prelude B20a

DX User

JDM Accord B20a vs USDM Prelude B20a

I was reading how you can buy a JDM accord b20a that will bolt right into the USDM 3g accord but then i read that theres a company selling motor mounts for around $600 so that the USDM prelude b20a can be installed into the USDM 3g accord.
    I was wondering if there is any good reason to buy the USDM prelude b20a + the motor mounts instead of just the JDM accord b20a if theyre the exact same engine accept for how they mount to the car.

btw i hope JDM means from japan and USDM means from america.

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Where did you read there are mounts? I've never heard of those mounts.

The JDM B20 for the Accord and the USDM Prelude engine are different motors. Not the same thing.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    '87 Carbed Hatch(RIP), 88 FI sedan w/ power group, '73 Jag w/ 350lump
    IF the place you are talking about is called 'place racing' you are outa luck. They have been defunct for quite a while now.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard;
    And the stupid people are breeding......

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluebead

Vehicle
    87LX / 86LXiHB / 90CRXSi(b16a) all gone... 91CRXSi(b16a) ...round two
    only advantage would be that you have all usdm parts, and you dont have to outsource for stuff like belts which I think I remember hearing you have to get from outside the us for the jdm b20.
    garagement racing

stlhondas.com

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBead
    IF the place you are talking about is called 'place racing' you are outa luck. They have been defunct for quite a while now.
    That's a whole another B architecture. We're talking Prelude B's here, not Civic/Integra. They never made any mounts to put Prelude motors in our cars. The 2nd gen Prelude A20 is a direct bolt in for us but it's the same motor as we already have.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    '87 Carbed Hatch(RIP), 88 FI sedan w/ power group, '73 Jag w/ 350lump
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDX89
    That's a whole another B architecture. We're talking Prelude B's here, not Civic/Integra. They never made any mounts to put Prelude motors in our cars. The 2nd gen Prelude A20 is a direct bolt in for us but it's the same motor as we already have.
    Good to know; I never looked that deep into it since they were done about the time I came on the site. I guess the main thing is that the USDM b20 is different then the JDM b20 and will not bolt in like the JDM b20 will
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard;
    And the stupid people are breeding......

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluebead

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i
    accord b20a = 160hp
    prelude b20a= 143hp

accord b20a -- direct drop in
    prelude b20a -- mount angle tilts the engine back 18 degrees

the engines are made the same way, almost. There are slight differences in the parts they used, but the block and head design are the exact same. The accord b20a, however, allows you to use the newer b series intake manifolds just like you can on the A20a. the prelude, however, has a transmission mount that's welded to the passenger side wheel well. The accord doesn't have a mount over there. The prelude's mounts are also very different from the accord mounts in terms of shape. the prelude has circular rubber insulators that sit vertically. You see this same kind of design in newer b series engines. The accord has "bell" mounts.

as for having to outsource parts on JDM motors...that's just ridiculous. The engines aren't THAT much different from their american counterparts. They're all cast the same way. The accord b20a, however, was never produced or distributed in the states, so there isn't an american counterpart there. That being said, some creativity and research will get you parts here in the states. The vast majority of the parts from the American prelude's b20a are interchanagable with the Accord b20a. That means belts, bolts, accessories, etc are easy to find.

it's also important to remember there is a JDM b20a that goes in the prelude. it's JUST like the american engine. That one will not work in the accord. You have to make sure you find the Accord's 1st gen b20a if you want to put it into an accord.
    Last edited by mouchyn; 04-09-2005 at 09:06 AM.
    Chris
    http://personalwebs.myriad.net/mouchyn/accordsig.jpg

LX User
    Vehicle
    1950 Plymouth daily driver, 1967 Riviera, 1951 Buick Roadmaster with a 455
    Damn, so if i am gonna take the b20a out of my friends 91 prelude i am loosing 17 horses and it wont fit? I thought that it was supposed to be better and have more power.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgar_88
    Damn, so if i am gonna take the b20a out of my friends 91 prelude i am loosing 17 horses and it wont fit? I thought that it was supposed to be better and have more power.
    nope, sorry! the 3G lude engine blows donkey nuts. it's not interchangable with anything, it's weak, and there's no aftermarket parts for it.
    Chris

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i
    Quote Originally Posted by ropponmatsu
    HaHA thats some funny s***, but no seroiusly though 3g preludes suck, go with a 4g or 5g but piss on 3g preludes
    it's not the whole 3G prelude. it's just the engine. the 3G prelude, despite its engine, was the most successful prelude honda made. It pioneered a lot of technologies honda still uses on their vehicles and the 3G 4WS prelude can out-handle just about any stock honda save the S2000. With decent rims and tires, it will out handle the NSX at speed.

Its driving position is just like the NSX, it's sexy, its interior was the most luxurious of any honda of its time, etc. It's world class handling embarrassed porsche and lotus in the 80s. Shoot, even the engine back then was fine. By today's standards, the engine is a dog.

It's easy enough to swap in the h22, though. lots of guys at preludepower.com have done it. Stock H22 in a 3G is faster than a stock 4G or 5G --and it handles better!
    Chris