Thread: exhaust flex pipe

exhaust flex pipe

I had a hole in the flexible section of the downpipe. The part that looks like a coil spring right before the catalytic convertor.
    Anyhow, I cut the piece out and put in a section of straight pipe and used some U-clamps to hold it in. It fixed the leak, but I think there is some more rattling. Autozone also sold a flexible piece, do you think I should have used that? I mean, I know it's obvious that I shouldn't have replaced something flexible with something rigid, but a lot of cars don't have a flexible section in their exhaust, right?

Also, I noticed that the exhaust pipe was two pipes, one inside the other. What's the point of that?
    Thanks.

--Peter

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    The cars that do not have a flex pipe have a ball type joint with spring bolts that will allow some movement.

You need to have something flexible in the front.. The engine moves a bit in the enginebay and will make the exhaust rattle if you don't have something flexible.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    93 civic
    i had a muffler shop cut off my old flexpipe and weld a new one onto it. no more leak.

Vehicle
    1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i, 1989 Sei(Project Honda SVX)
    Yea man you need to get the Flex pipe replaced... Your gonna do more damage for a quick fix... I see it all the time at work(I'm an exhaust tech)... It's gonna put strain on the rest of your exhaust...If a shop charges you more than $130 to weld a new one in... Tell them to kiss your ass... if they say the cant weld one in, that they have to replace the whole front pipe tell them to kiss your ass... Unless of course the front pipe is rusted out, have them squeeze it with a pair of channel locks if it gives it's bad...
    Hope that helps...
    Peaces,
    Jade Aka Jigabu

Vehicle
    1980 Accord 3d, 1985 Jazz, 1991 Civic Shuttle, 1991 Saab 900i 2.1-16V
    Welding the flexible pipe will not last you long. It will break right after the weld. You are better of replacing the whole piece.

Vehicle
    1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i, 1989 Sei(Project Honda SVX)
    Thats only if u live in an area that the exhaust will be exposed to snow and salt... I do this all day long and I've never had an issue witha replaced flex breakin at the welds